HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:26 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Nate - Nice on the video. I have been working sporadically on rolls. I don't spend enough time at any one time so it takes a while. Rolls are like the old pat your head and rub your tummy deal to me. I have issues making my left hand do what I want any way. Sometimes I think that some of that would be easier if the throttle and aileron were on the left stick and the rudder and elevator were on the right stick - Mode 4. I could more easily hold a given amount of aileron with the left hand and then just make a circle with the right stick for tail control on the right side. I don't even think transitioning to that mode would be that hard. We have at least one guy that flies that mode in our club. Maybe I should set up a plane that way and give it a try. I just have to swap channels 1 and 4 (Futaba). Maybe I will just try on the simulator and see if I like it.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:31 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,196 Posts
Ya rolling is tough... kinda like learing to play the drums or something lol. Mine still have a long ways to go and I have been at it for quite a while. What I really need to work on now is precision flying. My higher speed flying looks messy with tons of large corrections needed all the time.

The one nice thing about rolling harrier is that you should have the aileron pegged so the amount of aileron you give is easy to control. Just make sure you can't push it any further and you are good
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:07 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
1) Puff the magic smoke
2) I have no idea why my quiet plane is now a silent plane.
3) Leccy Epilepsy <bad solder joint, stuttering out of phase>
Too funny LOL I guess I've never figured in those factors before and here all this time I thought leccy's were the way to go for a non deadstick issue and was the main attraction, Hell I'll never convert over now lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Roman View Post
Waldo...whatever the Marine base there is.
Oh Cool I'll have to ask my wife I think she still has a memory lol
Say hey to Chase for us

Wayne yes thats it!!! Dillingham!! LOL Great place, we hung out there for about 2 hours and because my Mother in-law and wife never saw a glider get towed before, they were so amazed they just kept watching, so me and My bro in-law were loving it all, sky divers falling from the sky, gliders being towed, cool planes flying around, surfers hitting the waves behind us, it was a very entertaining spot to be.

Brathanke great vid and I'm sure it will be helping me. Thanks

Well started the main part of the fuse last night Its sailing from here on out
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:11 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,196 Posts
I love the leccy vs fuel battle. In my mind they just compliment each other and provide more opportunities for stick time Flight failures can happen on either one. I know I posted about reliability in the past and Wayne loves to ribb me about it all the time But these days I think the biggest bonus to electric is convenience and ease of setup/use while fuel is really awesome for giving you awesome flight times, cool sounds, and cool smells I like to have BOTH!
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:43 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,044 Posts
Yes Both are great as they Both Fly and after all, thats the point.

I'm actually contemplating making my Speedy Bee an electric, It says to put a .10 - .25 fuel on it, and also gives a Leccy diagram they added in years later.

The firewall area is so flimsy feeling I will definitely build it up, Plus in this design the the top of the fuse is a separate entity called the engine "Nacelle" and thats the only thing holding on the engine, the throttle servo is built into the wing so I'm thinking the Nacelle is actually glued to the top of the wing and then the wing is rubber banded onto the fuse, But I haven't found conclusive evidence of this yet. everything is rubberbanded on, even the stabilizer I'll be modifying much of this. I want to do a Bolt on wing and the stab and rudder will be glued in as rubber bands will surely eat through the balsa in time, its a very fragile model LOL I'm thinking one flip of the prop will bust the Nacelle right off lol lots of beefing up to do.

at any rate its a fun build and I'm having a great time.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:00 PM
I am the Ernie of the midwest!
Joined Jan 2011
953 Posts
OMG Waldo is joining the dark side!
Kerwin49 is offline Find More Posts by Kerwin49
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:02 PM
Joined Jan 2011
953 Posts
Last edited by Kerwin49; Feb 14, 2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:02 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,431 Posts
Waldo........NO......say it's not so! Leccy? Ugh! That's one decision that'll come back and bite you in the arse......mark my words! LOL
snowman is offline Find More Posts by snowman
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:33 PM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,044 Posts
Lol I just wanted to see who's still with me
Not to worry. I am building a speedy BEE so it must at least sound like one too lol going with a 20- 25 and a 4 ounce tank whatever is available when I go to the LHS

And a Happy Valentine's day to all our T_ _ _ ted wives and kids
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:58 PM
Joined Jan 2011
953 Posts
Thanks Waldo, you joining the Leccy side made me sick. You know, Kerwin50 sits with his legs crossed while flying his Leccys. His flying at "Beaver Park" is just a front to cover up his "true" feelings.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:31 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Guys I have proof that K49 is a leccy flyer.
As a matter of fact he's also been know to contribute to the delinquecy of a leccy.
He is also the known owner of not 1 but 2 leccies. A stkyer and a easy star.
It maybe hard to believe but yes it's true
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:48 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,431 Posts
Kerwin......you can't count those against a guy that flies 'em when he's half in the bag!!!!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:57 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,431 Posts
Whew! Waldo......you had me worried there!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:48 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Too funny LOL I guess I've never figured in those factors before and here all this time I thought leccy's were the way to go for a non deadstick issue and was the main attraction, Hell I'll never convert over now lol
I cant say it happens near as much as a nitro, but I have been fighting a dead stick issue on a 33 inch foamie, swapped everything out except the motor so that is next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I love the leccy vs fuel battle. In my mind they just compliment each other and provide more opportunities for stick time Flight failures can happen on either one. I know I posted about reliability in the past and Wayne loves to ribb me about it all the time But these days I think the biggest bonus to electric is convenience and ease of setup/use while fuel is really awesome for giving you awesome flight times, cool sounds, and cool smells I like to have BOTH!
Agreed, the ribbin is fun but they both have great benifits.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:39 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,044 Posts
K49 holding a leccy but I can see he's trying to make it into an Alcohol burner, all is right with the world

DOG Good luck with solving the problem and yup process of elimination is the way LOL hopefully your next attempt is the solution, Course you could always pull the motor to see whats wrong with it and while its off throw a real Engine on there

Well making progress on the Bee starting to look like all those sticks are shaping into some type of aircraft
much reinforcing to do as I was just gluing the front nacelle together and putting the clamps on it to hold everything and I busted one of the sides to it and then the fire wall fell off, and this was 3- 4 minutes into my 5 minute activated epoxy you can imagine the super speedy repair of the broken side, epoxy drying and knowing if the glue set up before all was attached there was going to have to be a good dremmeling and cleaning of the 1/8" surrounding the firewall to make it all fit back together again it was for sure a DOH!!!!!! moment I think all is good now but we'll see.