HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:31 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,377 Posts
There's a pill for that Plow......just sayin'.
snowman is offline Find More Posts by snowman
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:37 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,137 Posts
Just had a deadstick on my slick. I was flying off a public street in front of a fallow field. I had pulled a long upline, pushed over into weeble wobbles and finished into a knife edge spin. After a few rotations I lost power. The plane was still high. I told my buddy I had lost power and he tells me there is a truck coming. So I glided past the truck and put it down just behind it. I feel like my slick is on borrowed time now. I gotta figure out what went wrong now. The motor wasn't hot and turned freely so there is either a loose connection or my. Castle phoenix 60 has finally given up.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:33 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Roman View Post
Funny you should mention that......

....leavin for Hawaii tommorrow to spend a little time with Chase
If you have not been, DO NOT MISS VOCANO PARK ON THE BIG ISLAND! You will never forget the volcanoes there. If you only see one sight on the trip, see that. It costs a little to fly over and rent a car but it is more than worth it, even if you have to cancel something else! Make sure you watch the video at the visitor center.

I have been to Hawaii a lot and lived there on two occasions. I always try to get people to go to the Big Island. If I go back, the volcanoes are #1 on my list. Also, you should consider a whale watching trip. You can book one on Oahu. (plan on spending an entire day at the volcanoes) You might even want to spend a night on Hawaii and book a whale tour there the next day.

If you need another neat activity, you can take a sailplane ride on the north shore of Oahu.

Enjoy the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Just had a deadstick on my slick. I was flying off a public street in front of a fallow field. I had pulled a long upline, pushed over into weeble wobbles and finished into a knife edge spin. After a few rotations I lost power. The plane was still high. I told my buddy I had lost power and he tells me there is a truck coming. So I glided past the truck and put it down just behind it. I feel like my slick is on borrowed time now. I gotta figure out what went wrong now. The motor wasn't hot and turned freely so there is either a loose connection or my. Castle phoenix 60 has finally given up.
You need something more reliable.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:39 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,137 Posts
:d:d:d
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:56 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,137 Posts
Turns out my esc was fine. I had a solder joint come loose. Chalk it up to inexperience. Those bullet connectors were likely one of the first things I had ever soldered in my life. It is amazing they lasted this long. The wires weren't even tinned
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:23 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Turns out my esc was fine. I had a solder joint come loose. Chalk it up to inexperience. Those bullet connectors were likely one of the first things I had ever soldered in my life. It is amazing they lasted this long. The wires weren't even tinned
Now you have to check everything else.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:37 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,137 Posts
I already re-soldered all the connections She is rdy to fly again
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:46 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,408 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1831434

Some pictures from the weekend.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:56 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,020 Posts
Plow folding hurts

Wayne was it called Dilinger or dilians airport in oahu for the glider ride we took a drive around the island one day and came across it I anted to do the parachute jump, my wife said let's come back tomorrow for our last day adventure and do the glider ride, which of course I was just as excited about and completely shocked she suggested it then we left, and long story short we went to a luau that evening and our last day was spent in the shade on lounge chairs

Brathanke why I don't believe I've ever heard of a deadstick with a leccy lol glad you didn't end up with damage, and that's exactly the way we flew for over 15 years until we got our field I love those landings that get aborted because someone yells CAR lol nothing worse and more exciting then having to ditch a plane into the corn because the runway is being occupied by a bigger stronger object lol
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:42 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Plow folding hurts

Wayne was it called Dilinger or dilians airport in oahu for the glider ride we took a drive around the island one day and came across it I anted to do the parachute jump, my wife said let's come back tomorrow for our last day adventure and do the glider ride, which of course I was just as excited about and completely shocked she suggested it then we left, and long story short we went to a luau that evening and our last day was spent in the shade on lounge chairs

Brathanke why I don't believe I've ever heard of a deadstick with a leccy lol glad you didn't end up with damage, and that's exactly the way we flew for over 15 years until we got our field I love those landings that get aborted because someone yells CAR lol nothing worse and more exciting then having to ditch a plane into the corn because the runway is being occupied by a bigger stronger object lol
Dillingham
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:52 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Plow folding hurts

Leccy Dead Sticks.... 3 kinds
1) Puff the magic smoke
2) I have no idea why my quiet plane is now a silent plane.
3) Leccy Epilepsy <bad solder joint, stuttering out of phase>
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:16 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,137 Posts
Whatdayaknow another 3d tutorial. This time is on rolling harriers. I knew it was going to be longer but I surprised myself when it turned out 15 min+. I hope it helps someone...

Rolling Harrier tutorial (15 min 55 sec)
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:01 AM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
If you have not been, DO NOT MISS VOCANO PARK ON THE BIG ISLAND! You will never forget the volcanoes there.
Been there done that ....and your right.

Ill be on Oahu. Will check into the sailplane thing

Waldo...whatever the Marine base there is.
Dad_Roman is offline Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:18 AM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
I already re-soldered all the connections She is rdy to fly again
I meant other old connections that might need attention.

Tinning the wires is something a lot of people never learn. The bigger, high-strand wires, need a little extra attention when tinning. It is easy to tin one side of the wire and the other side has nothing. One technique I use is to heat the cut end of the wire and apply the solder to the side. When the solder melts, I know the wire is hot enough to tin. Then I check all the way around the wire to make sure I have it all saturated. Lower strand count wire is a lot easier to tin.

I had to take a course in soldering and, later, I had to study a mil-spec on soldering. It was interesting to see what they required. The spec has you make a positive mechanical connection as well as an electronic connection. There are specs on the fillet for through-hole joints for example.

Our bullet connections are not very mechanically sound and we rely on the solder to hold them in position. Shrink actually helps some but if we wanted to make them better, we would also shrink them after they are plugged in.

We typically don't do good splices either. Most of us use a lap joint. That is electrically ok but not so much in the mechanical. I know one guy that has made butt joints for splices so the splice is smaller. This is awful as it is not too good electrically or mechanically. If you need it to be a small diameter, a connector should be used. Lap joints can be improved mechanically by using a small wire, like wire wrap wire. Lightly solder the lap joint then wrap the joint with the wire wrap wire and re-solder the joint. I have done this on large gauge lap joints to mechanically strengthen the joint. I don't know of any of these that have failed.

I also think it is worth it to get a temperature controlled solder station. This allows you to get the right amount of heat for the job. They don't have to be really expensive. This one is less than $50 and I have one I have been using for three years.

http://www.mpja.com/Solder-Station-w...fo/15845%20TL/

I prefer a small gauge, multi-core solder also. It flows better and can have a lower melting point.

Maybe I should do a solder video.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:26 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,137 Posts
Thanks for the info Wayne! I need a temp controlled soldering station. I used my brother's Weller station a few days ago to fix my realflight controller. That station was NICE compared to my junky old thing. I think a soldering video would be great!

I did mean to make sure you knew that I re-soldered every connection in that plane yesterday after finding the problem. I'm glad I had the same thought as your great mind I also ended up putting shrink tube over the bullet connections after they were plugged in to keep them from backing out later.