HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:38 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
O Waldo I just may have to come out an visit you and you can some me how it's done on the Green Machine.
Well thats where your wrong, See I would never let someone like trixie fly my planes because Right now I can blame the poor peformance on the plane set up, if she were to take off anyone of my planes I'd have a whole new meaning to the walk of shame it would be with my head hung low and the embarrasment of 48 years of flying experience all shot to crap in 5 minutes by some girl that can put me to shame in a heartbeat. lol and do you really want to let me take off your plane after watching what I did to snowman and my own plane just to get a Walk of shame clip LOL but you are more than welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerwin49 View Post
I bet Trixie wouldnt have hit the power lines.......
ROTFLOL

Brathanke great Vid again, your getting good at those tutorials

Well after practice last night I was able to get in 15 minutes to finish the top of the speedy bee wing tonight I get to take it off the board and complete the bottom then on the fuse
Waldopepperaxe is online now Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:53 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,864 Posts
Thanks for the comments Wayne. I thought about using a series of planes to demonstrate how you really do have to experiment with stick positions to figure out what works with a specific air-frame. I think I can get all of the 3d balsa models on realflight into a KE spin but the inputs are not the same for all of them. There may be one or two that I can't but I don't know which ones they are off hand. I might change it up with something like that in the future or on future tutorials.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:05 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Well thats where your wrong, See I would never let someone like trixie fly my planes because Right now I can blame the poor peformance on the plane set up, if she were to take off anyone of my planes I'd have a whole new meaning to the walk of shame it would be with my head hung low and the embarrasment of 48 years of flying experience all shot to crap in 5 minutes by some girl that can put me to shame in a heartbeat. lol and do you really want to let me take off your plane after watching what I did to snowman and my own plane just to get a Walk of shame clip LOL but you are more than welcome

ROTFLOL

Well after practice last night I was able to get in 15 minutes to finish the top of the speedy bee wing tonight I get to take it off the board and complete the bottom then on the fuse
Waldo,
Great build pics, keep em coming! Always great to see a new airframe begin to take shape!
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:18 AM
Unregistered User
United States, MO, Winston
Joined Jan 2011
800 Posts
Hey Kerwin50, did the Moth flatspin after hitting the powerline?
Kerwin49 is online now Find More Posts by Kerwin49
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:34 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Make sense Wayne, but remember the Threads are a double edge sword that often can be miss leading. You have to sometimes authenticate your "Kool Aid" and makes sure the source has the actual knowledge of the product.

I find the discussions around the landing gear on the threads amusing. These planes are designed to be oober light wing loading and a the gear is a part of that design function. I have gone to several events and seen some of the roughest grass feilds around with 20-30 of the 3DHS planes flying all weekend and seldom see a lg pop <outside of a crash>.

Don't be afraid to shift that CG a bit forward of the recommended range, I know several of the more proficent pilots that prefer not to fly a "neutral" set up.There are dozens of people that insist that the only way a plane will hover or spin is for it to be tail heavy. These type of planes have enough throws to make a forward CG set up do every stunt very well, and they fly better over all. Not to mention they land better, which is better on the LG.
I agree with Dog. I have settled on a slightly nose heavy CG in my 70" Slick and I love the way it flies/lands. It damn near lands itself. I am surprised by your wrinkling issues as once I ironed mine out a couple times it has pretty much stayed put and looks tight.

As far as flat spins go, These planes like to have a lot of elevator throw to get into a really flat spin. I fly mine on max throws (50 degrees of elevator, 50degrees of rudder and 35 degrees aileron) and it will do anything you want it too.
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:28 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
4,927 Posts
Waldo, love the pics, but how come the long 1/4"x1/8" strips are glued at the wing tips but not into the corresponding cutout on the ribs? (Sorry, I don't know the appropriate nomenclature of the building side of this hobby!) I'm also curious.....the box that that kit came in never had one end taped closed..........were all the parts present and accounted for???? Looks like she's going to be a floater!!!

I made a few SPAD aircraft some years ago.......got more into the painting than the building, although I remember one I had drilled lightening holes on all four sides of the 1" square tube that made up it's fuse..........a lot of work for how short a life it had...........those planes were proof that given a large enough engine.......you COULD fly a brick!..
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:15 PM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Waldo, love the pics, but how come the long 1/4"x1/8" strips are glued at the wing tips but not into the corresponding cutout on the ribs? (Sorry, I don't know the appropriate nomenclature of the building side of this hobby!) I'm also curious.....the box that that kit came in never had one end taped closed..........were all the parts present and accounted for???? Looks like she's going to be a floater!!!

I made a few SPAD aircraft some years ago.......got more into the painting than the building, although I remember one I had drilled lightening holes on all four sides of the 1" square tube that made up it's fuse..........a lot of work for how short a life it had...........those planes were proof that given a large enough engine.......you COULD fly a brick!..
Well as far as its going everything is there, its called a speedy bee
And is about the same size as the wonder wing so I'm thinking it might have some speed to it but it does look like a floaty the part in question about the rib openings for the spar is that particular area is for the 1/4 x 1/4
Aileron spars as after its built you cut out the aileron, my confusion at this stage is how its suppose to be glued in and then cut out as I'm trying to go a route where it won't be so hard to detach them after I glue them as the instructions weren't ith the kit so I found some on line but they are not very clear at all, no biggy just requires some thought before I cut and glue, its been a fun build so far but the building process I see is pretty old school as there are things done that could have been done much simpler like the 3 long spars ere actually turned into 9 spars with 18 different slices I don't know why they would do that to themselves lol

I learned when my first Eagle 63 took to the sky and landed its first time I became addicted quickly and flew every single day after school regardless rain shine wind and snow I was in the sky and after thousands of repairs and cob job fixes to get back in the sky the formula for flight is engine/elevator/rudder will fly anything!! And God knows we've tested just about everything lol aHhhH youth and time is all you needed back then, oh and glue and tree limbs
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:48 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,864 Posts
Good work Waldo...
Snowy I had a SPAD for a couple flights last year. It was definitely a brick but I still got a kick out of the fact that it flew at all

I just went out with my 2 yr old to the turf farm. It was pretty gusty so we didn't stay long but we are having beautiful temps and sunshine. Shorts and t-shirt again Gee it feels like SPRING

I just put one flight on the tech-one yak and one on the 51 slick. Man I put that slick into some super nasty tumbles.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:24 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerwin49 View Post
Hey Kerwin50, did the Moth flatspin after hitting the powerline?
O no K49 thats below the belt. You know how I love my little moth and the horror I exerienced as I watch her collide with the power line.
Yes she did a boom a rang flat spin to the ground hurrdling it's battery some few away from the point of impact
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:14 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
. I am surprised by your wrinkling issues as once I ironed mine out a couple times it has pretty much stayed put and looks tight.
Plane Covers, Sheets, and easy ups to keep those planes from wrinkling is what I see at all events, but you are correct, I have not seen too many issues that were long standing.

With the staged heating process required to shrink Ultracote, one has to be so careful not to max it out. The Hanger 9 Extra in the club gets a little wrinkles too but it seems after it cools, it is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I just put one flight on the tech-one yak and one on the 51 slick. Man I put that slick into some super nasty tumbles.
Tumbly ROCKS! My SHP has a mean knife edge spin!

Waldo, that build looks GREAT! Are you guys coming down for the WRAM show this year? I am on the fence but if you guys are coming, I would head that way.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:20 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,864 Posts
Yes be careful on the Ultracote. It will only shrink ONCE at a given heat setting. You will have to increase the heat each time until eventually it will not shrink anymore. My 51 slick looks like an orange pumpkin right now... I left it in the sun for half a day. I'll get around to working on it sometime... for now I'm not that concerned. It looks fabulous in the air.

I wish realflight would let you tumble half as much as I did with the slick today. I think my 3000 mah pack is gaining strength right now after sitting for several months. Today it had a lot more punch than I was getting out of it for the first few flights. I thought that was interesting. I liked it a lot when it came to all-out straight and level flight into a wicked tumble. Man that thing went end-over-end like 4 times. It looked like a side-ways knife edge spin. I gotta get a few of those on video. Too by my 2 yr old can't film very good
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:20 PM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,757 Posts
Brathanke sounds nice to be in shorts again lol they are predicting 2 feet tomorrow night, we are going to be burried, but that's what they're saying - think it'll be more like 5" lol love the look of a great knife edge spin my edge is doining them great too very cool stuff

DOG we don't think were going to the WRAM show as they don't offer much for us kit and fuel guys we have been to it 4 years in a row now and we never get anything except some balsa and maybe some servo extensions, we plan on doing a trip to our favorite hobby place in Mass this year instead, we tried to get there after the WRAM show last year but we didn't make it in time, we like the overall show and we have a great time just getting together to pile in the van and hang out, but we go to buy stuff and we can get better deals at the LHS we go to so its just not worth the money in fuel and tolls.

Best covering is coverite or silk and dope these days, Ultra cote is better than moncote but def shrinks too much and sunlight wrinkles.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:46 PM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,584 Posts
Sad news today, my friends. We lost one of ours yesterday. Chuck Kacin, aka BalsaBuster passed Feb 5. As I remember, he was one of the principles in teaching the Plowboy to fly. Very much into FPV for some time. Always at the field tinkering on sometlhing. Always willing to lend a hand. He will be much missed....................
NoMatta is online now Find More Posts by NoMatta
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:47 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,864 Posts
I have been missing his posts for a while. I'm sorry for the loss!
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:00 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,497 Posts
O I'm so sorry to hear that. I have missed him for quite. What happened?
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50