HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:05 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
The Extra? Jury is still out. I am not happy with some of the things about the ARF kit given the issues I have run in to. I think It is over priced.

I have not had any of the 3DHS Kool-Aid so I am maintaining my objectivity.

It flew pretty well Sunday. It did not want to get into a flat spin inverted or upright. I was disappointed about that. I did not fly it very hard. Frankly, I was more interested in seeing the smoke system work and it did very well. It knife edges pretty well. I am going to increase the expo slightly. It is a bit touchy around the middle. It was manageable for sure but for now I would like to have the low rates a bit softer, just a bit. It was too windy to try any serious hovering or anything.

The landing in the video was the worst one of the day. I did a number of touch and goes earlier and it was behaving nicely. I have the trim and idle set that it will settle almost by itself. We have some bumps and dents in the field and I drug a wing tip in the video.

I hate the covering. It is Ultra crap and wrinkles within an hour at the field. A couple more trips to the field and I may put the SFGs on. Possibly put the pants on it.

The engine, DLE-55, is doing great. No complaints.
My 3dhs birds get into spins the best from either a blender (inverted) or a pop top. I know what you are saying about the covering. My 51 slick has developed quite a few wrinkles as well. As far as over-priced... I'd say I agree except they sell out all the time at their current prices so the market seems to dictate that the product could support an even higher price. Of course, if they could sort out their supply issues then maybe we would see that sales would be pretty steady at some price or other. It's hard to know when you have supply issues messing with the market for them.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:15 PM
RC = Drama Free
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
11,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
The Extra? Jury is still out. I am not happy with some of the things about the ARF kit given the issues I have run in to. I think It is over priced.

I have not had any of the 3DHS Kool-Aid so I am maintaining my objectivity.

It flew pretty well Sunday. It did not want to get into a flat spin inverted or upright. I was disappointed about that. I did not fly it very hard. Frankly, I was more interested in seeing the smoke system work and it did very well. It knife edges pretty well. I am going to increase the expo slightly. It is a bit touchy around the middle. It was manageable for sure but for now I would like to have the low rates a bit softer, just a bit. It was too windy to try any serious hovering or anything.

The landing in the video was the worst one of the day. I did a number of touch and goes earlier and it was behaving nicely. I have the trim and idle set that it will settle almost by itself. We have some bumps and dents in the field and I drug a wing tip in the video.

I hate the covering. It is Ultra crap and wrinkles within an hour at the field. A couple more trips to the field and I may put the SFGs on. Possibly put the pants on it.

The engine, DLE-55, is doing great. No complaints.
Love the sound of the DLE 55.
I found the Kool-aid statement a tad strange, based simply without having access to the main stream "kool aid" you miss out on a lot of the set up and configurations that make the SHP one of the oldest and most sucessful airframes in their fleet. However, if it is going to be flown in more of an aerobatic / IMAC fashion, this may not even matter. I just thought it was an interesting statement.

From the landing and its appearence to "hunt" I have seen in the videos it "seems" like it could use some additional nose weight, but it could just be a side affect of the winds, or being too touchy around the middle. Question for you, fully assembled without fuel, will it hold its own tail up while leaning on the front cowl?

Are the rates and expo set up as the manual indicates? If you are not going to fly the plane as it is designed to be flown, you throws and configuration could stand to have a bit of changes. Flat Spins... That chassis will do them all day long once you learn the sweet spot. Often the big control surface can act as a break and cause drag when not needed.
A full 3 control surface snap on that plane with stop the plane like brakes, and cause it to fall like a rock. Its a good practice to not pin all 3 controls full at once, make sure at least one is not fully tossed.

I do think once you get it dialed in, it will become your best friend.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:57 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,460 Posts
I have always found the easiest way to enter a flatspin Is to enter it from a hammer head. Always left stick for upright and right for inverted. Right after the hammer head I like to pull hard elev and on some planes add a little oppsite aileron. On my 41 inch 3DHS Edge I have to bump the throttle to get the nose up. On the twist going WOT really flattens her out.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:13 PM
RC = Drama Free
Joined Dec 2007
11,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
I have always found the easiest way to enter a flatspin Is to enter it from a hammer head. Always left stick for upright and right for inverted. Right after the hammer head I like to pull hard elev and on some planes add a little oppsite aileron. On my 41 inch 3DHS Edge I have to bump the throttle to get the nose up. On the twist going WOT really flattens her out.
Yup, go vertical, chop the power, as it breaks into the stall, toss ele and rud at it and fine tune with the aileron as bringing the throttle back in.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:13 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,251 Posts
michael, welcome!
I've owned both the Twist 40 and the Sabre 47, also the Aerowotks In the 40 size.

Nice plane Wayne. Enjoy!!
plowboy1966 is online now Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:36 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
My 3dhs birds get into spins the best from either a blender (inverted) or a pop top. I know what you are saying about the covering. My 51 slick has developed quite a few wrinkles as well. As far as over-priced... I'd say I agree except they sell out all the time at their current prices so the market seems to dictate that the product could support an even higher price. Of course, if they could sort out their supply issues then maybe we would see that sales would be pretty steady at some price or other. It's hard to know when you have supply issues messing with the market for them.
The Ultra Coat planes seem to always wrinkle. You can poke them, iron them, whatever and they always seem to wrinkle, frequently in the same spots. It is frustrating. I bought this plane on color scheme and I hate that it won't stay down.

If Extreme flight would get stock in, I would not have the 3DHS plane so maybe some of the popularity of the 3DHS planes is lack of options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Love the sound of the DLE 55.
I found the Kool-aid statement a tad strange, based simply without having access to the main stream "kool aid" you miss out on a lot of the set up and configurations that make the SHP one of the oldest and most sucessful airframes in their fleet. However, if it is going to be flown in more of an aerobatic / IMAC fashion, this may not even matter. I just thought it was an interesting statement.

From the landing and its appearence to "hunt" I have seen in the videos it "seems" like it could use some additional nose weight, but it could just be a side affect of the winds, or being too touchy around the middle. Question for you, fully assembled without fuel, will it hold its own tail up while leaning on the front cowl?

Are the rates and expo set up as the manual indicates? If you are not going to fly the plane as it is designed to be flown, you throws and configuration could stand to have a bit of changes. Flat Spins... That chassis will do them all day long once you learn the sweet spot. Often the big control surface can act as a break and cause drag when not needed.
A full 3 control surface snap on that plane with stop the plane like brakes, and cause it to fall like a rock. Its a good practice to not pin all 3 controls full at once, make sure at least one is not fully tossed.

I do think once you get it dialed in, it will become your best friend.
I set it all up to the book, including the CG. It was windy on Sunday. We get pretty gusty stuff here so I don't worry a lot about precision in those conditions.

Yes, the throws will stall the plane. My TT60 was the same way. I could pop a snap roll and stop it and reverse direction in the length of the plane. I will have to work with this one more but I can normally get one to spin even if the throws are really high. Like I said, I was more interested in the smoke system that peaking the plane.

As for the Kool-Aid comment. I did read a lot of posts on the Slick and SHP. That is where I learned a lot of people have had broken gear on the SHP.

There is also a lot of puffing, in my opinion, and lack of objectivity (or lack of experience) with some of the owners when considering possible problems and alternative air frames.

It is just the feeling I get Ron when looking the responses.

I am pretty happy with the CG right now. I have not tried to stand it on its nose lately. It would hit the wheel pants when they were on. I liked the landing characteristics, slow flight, and inverted this weekend. It only required minor corrections in knife edge and it was pretty easy to move it around in knife edge. Now that I have had some success with it, I will move to tweaking the setup.

It really does not feel tail heavy and I don't want to get it where it feels like I am picking up the nose all the time.

The elevator throw was the only think I could not get to the rates in the book. I may look at that more later as well. I think it has plenty for the moment.

I did not call it a dog or anything. I just am still reserving judgement.

As for flat spin entries, I have seen a lot of variance in planes. Some if it pilot dependent also, in my opinion. I think the right way is the way you and the plane can agree. I know one plane that seems to flat spin best to the right and I usually spin left (upright). I had to have the guy show me several times.

One of the lessons on real flight, as I remember, suggests you fly level, reduce throttle and hold altitude until it stalls, and then spin it in which ever way the wings drop. I know one person the makes an up line, flips over to a down line and then hits the spin sticks. Maybe there is a mental picture that works for some and not for others. I stall it, force a left roll, then hit left rudder and up elevator, and add tight aileron as needed to level the wings. I add power, if the plane will take it, to speed up the spin. I had one plane that always flew out of it if it got much throttle. The Model Tech Magic loved to spin. It was easy to enter and you could go full power.

We will see in the next few weeks how it does and how I like it. I had my YAK really flying easy. I did not have to work for much of anything. I will take a while to get comfortable with this one.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Last edited by waynemia; Feb 04, 2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:07 AM
RC = Drama Free
Joined Dec 2007
11,639 Posts
Make sense Wayne, but remember the Threads are a double edge sword that often can be miss leading. You have to sometimes authenticate your "Kool Aid" and makes sure the source has the actual knowledge of the product.

I find the discussions around the landing gear on the threads amusing. These planes are designed to be oober light wing loading and a the gear is a part of that design function. I have gone to several events and seen some of the roughest grass feilds around with 20-30 of the 3DHS planes flying all weekend and seldom see a lg pop <outside of a crash>.

Don't be afraid to shift that CG a bit forward of the recommended range, I know several of the more proficent pilots that prefer not to fly a "neutral" set up.There are dozens of people that insist that the only way a plane will hover or spin is for it to be tail heavy. These type of planes have enough throws to make a forward CG set up do every stunt very well, and they fly better over all. Not to mention they land better, which is better on the LG.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:07 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,460 Posts
Even though it's 25 this morning, they're calling for 50. With 10 mph winds. Now our field is going to be soft and we have no drive way.
On the other hand I do have twist field, but I have to mow it.
O no thats unheard of here in febuary, but you guys have seen my field.
The last time twist flew there, she was a bush plane.
I would nick name her the bush master but that name has already been taken.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:26 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,460 Posts
Guys I was over at flying giants trying to post this video and it wouldn't link.
So even though many of you seen snowdog filming trixie an the green machine, here it is again http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=4neuVcCXHPg
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:32 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,634 Posts
Now we get to be Trixiefied all over again
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:19 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,148 Posts
Nice flying.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:30 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,148 Posts
I installed an external AC plug for my trailer this morning. Planning to wire for DC and some AC. The AC is mainly to charge on-board batteries.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:40 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,527 Posts
Yeah she did a nice job showing kerwin50 what he suppose do with that MX Ok kerwin Your up
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:25 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,460 Posts
O Waldo I just may have to come out an visit you and you can some me how it's done on the Green Machine.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:43 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
4,426 Posts
HEY! Kerwin, you didn't let me open her up when you brought her up here......what am I........chopped liver???? All you had me do was idle her around! (I showed you later with your foamie that draggin' the tail in the grass was no problem though!)
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman