HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:25 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,497 Posts
Guess what, another flight report.
Thenhigh was 72 and as the afternoon went on the winds picked up to 20 gusting to 25 .
As the sun set the wind started dropping. I tried heading to the door with WMPF MX in hand when momma asked me to run to the store for a second.
Well when I got back the sun had set but there was still light.
Now down in the valley and just below the 8ft fence the wind was really light. So when I gave the little flat foamie a toss, she climbed out to about 10 ft and whoof the wind just took her down wind. Turning was a little difficult.
Now once again as soon as I chopped the throttle it stuck. I think it has to do with high wind spinning the prop and confusing the esc. I flew her till the batt went down and then I change battery. the battery and motor was warm but not hot. I flew her once again and this time no problem except the little MX hates the wind.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:36 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,351 Posts
Kerwin, you are quite the winter flyer!
I bet you'd have fun here...we have dense fog right now...
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:30 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,859 Posts
Well I made it home safe and sound... luckily it stopped snowing in the afternoon and the sun came out. The roads were pretty dry all the way home. Nice job getting out to fly Kerwin

I'm ready for the weekend already lol. I have a big test tomorrow morning and a presentation in the afternoon. I spent the day getting ready and feel well prepared for both
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:02 AM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Its the best thing you can ever do for your plane especially dope and silk once you silk and dope a plane its like a rock all bonded together. extremely easy to do, first dope the entire plane, then put the silk or paper covering on and dope the material with a brush, pull the winkles out let dry, then if needed brush more dope over the open bays and let dry again repeat this until the wrinkles are completely gone and tight as a drum. once you get the hang of it you can usually do it in 2 coats, and I assure you you will never have a piece of that covering coming loose until you pry it off. which it will come off very easily when and if you want it to.

I always Loved monocote back then when it first came out, it was tough and extremely easy to get great results. the Ultracote was good but not as strong and when you taxi through cornfields you want strong LOL It is now completely my worst enemy on a plane.

I like ultracote better than monocote but prefer coverite over either.

thats the junk I just completely peeled off my Raider

Great ideas as you know my Ultrastick is packing tape covering LOL

Awesome !!!!

Kerwin this is awesome you are having too much fun and really making me want to get out there lol

Tower so sorry to hear about your friend, the best thing you can do is keep those planes all flying in his honor.
Sounds like an Rx or Tx problem more than a servo problem for sure. sounds like its sending a surge or jitter to your channel 3 on the rx or a bad pot on the throttle on the box.

Yup its Microfilm I've never seen the operation personally, but have heard about it, I think I would use something like that on a Guillows model but nothing I fly would have it holding hold up.

Never utter those words in a desperate moment to get a new toy LOL and you want FUTABA !!!

Sorry to say But I only trust Futaba, I'm sure they have some lemons out there as well as anyone elses products But the horror stories I've heard about Hitech, Jr, spectrum, Etc... will keep me a futaba man for life. I have had many planes go down because of Hi-tech Rx's so they have really left a bad taste in my mouth. I know people who use all those different brands and love them I just can't pull the trigger, when I'm going to invest in something like that its going to be Futaba everytime for me.

Well I finished the covering on the fuse last night shes back and ready for you Snowman just have to figure out some scheme to decorate her.
moving onto repair the wing tonight.
I get a kick out of these coverings. I wrap cars ad buildings in vinyl for a living. Last year I had a super stick that I decided to redo the covering on, so instead of ultracote I used Vinyl. It was awesome and terrible all at the same time. I was able to install it without a single wrinkle no issue, the total cost of the material was $1.30. I tell you I thought I was a frickin genius. Then i flew the thing. apparently unlaminated vinyl isn't only not glow fuel resistant, its actualy disolves in it. After about an hour of flying my stick sounds like a pulsejet. Turns out the whole lower wing covering was hanging on by aerodynamic forces alone and flapping in the wind. Managed to land her and eventually used ultracote for the covering. Feels like cheating though. Wish I could find a window graphic that behaves like it.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:07 AM
Joined Jan 2009
5,351 Posts
Winter in the upper midwest: (sigh)

5-Day Forecast for Crystal Lake, Illinois

Today: Rain/Thunder, High: 57 F, Low: 33 F

Tomorrow: Snow Showers/Wind, High: 33 F, Low: 10 F

Thursday: Mostly Cloudy/Wind, High: 16 F, Low: -2 F

Friday: Sunny, High: 17 F, Low: 14 F

Saturday: Snow Showers, High: 27 F, Low: 16 F
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:16 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,755 Posts
Kerwin,,, you a flyin fool man

Good luck today Brathanke

Wookster Thats great!!!! ROTFLOL I wrapped a plane in cardboard and packing tape once just to get through a day lol

Snowdog Well they finally tested the formula you gave me and it is now a part of our weigh scale program and works fantastic.
Our IT guy came down to take the formula and put into the Access program which runs the system. When My boss told me to come over and help the guy. I got there and he looked at me and said "You are a genius I had to look up a few things and figure out a few things but to come up with this!!" I said Oh I'm a genius alright, but not in the way your thinking LOL
I'm a genius because I went to a Thread call T_ _ _ Taholics and asked for professional help. so I'm relaying the message that you sir are a genius. Thank you so much for your help.

And just for the record Brathankes method worked also but snowdogs won the event as the formula was shorter LOL and My formula was a nightmare it partially worked but I would still be inputing data today to make it work.

YUP,,,, Best damn Thread on the planet Thanks guys
Waldopepperaxe is online now Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:26 AM
Joined Jan 2009
5,351 Posts
Aw shucks! Appreciate the compliment...nice way to start the day.
My criteria for attaining genius status is to figure out how to retire, get out of debt, and fly airplanes all day.

(and be able to travel and visit all my twisted friends)
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:32 AM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
I'm a genius because I went to a Thread call T_ _ _ Taholics and asked for professional help. so I'm relaying the message that you sir are a genius. Thank you so much for your help.

And just for the record Brathankes method worked also .....
Kudos to you guys!

Waldo.....My boss really knows we're in trouble when I tell him "Its time to call in the smart guys!"

Ask me any question and I can answer it.....in 4 hours. "Henry Ford"
Dad_Roman is offline Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:05 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
OK, no more weather whining.

Suck it up or move!

Glad the formula worked Waldo. I was saving myself in case the youngsters had problems. Glad I did not have to prime and start my old cob web filled brain.
I would have probably given you a VBA solution anyway.

Just thinking, consultant fee?

Hmmmmm
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Last edited by waynemia; Jan 29, 2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:25 AM
Joined Jan 2009
5,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post

Suck it up or move!

So this is the situation, eh?

Got it.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:30 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
4,922 Posts
I have to drive over 250 miles round trip to bring my mother-in-law to the airport....on ice-covered roads........can you imagine the back seat driving advice I'm going to have to put up with????? I have a right to whine!!!!!
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:41 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,497 Posts
test test test
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:42 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,497 Posts
Where, Wayne Where,. If it's not too hot it's too cold if it's not too cold it's windy, if it's not windy it's rainy, if it's not rainy we're in a drought.
O only in missouri, 72 yesterday and winter storm warnings tonight.
What is a guy to do.
Now just to the south of us tornado warning.
Still I'm thinking of a flight. Yes a flight.
It makes so much difference flying leccys. I can put a plane up in a new york second. A New York second, thats fast. Go ask Waldo, I think he know. Yes thats an ole Jefferson Airplane tune. Go ask Waldo.

biy the server is screwy this morning

Hmmmmm[/QUOTE]
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:54 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Roman View Post
Kudos to you guys!
Waldo.....My boss really knows we're in trouble when I tell him "Its time to call in the smart guys!"
Ask me any question and I can answer it.....in 4 hours. "Henry Ford"
I like that lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Suck it up or move!
Glad I did not have to prime and start my old cob web filled brain.I would have probably given you a VBA solution anyway.

Just thinking, consultant fee?
Hmmmmm
Maybe a WAHHHHambulance is in order.
I hate jump starting my brain LOL Technology fries me lol I'm a Gimme a hammer and a flathead screwdriver to fix anything kind of guy lol
I love Winter and I really enjoy driving in it. well not a 53' trailer coming down the back roads of Whitface mountain on a logging trail because of my GPS lol that!!, I didn't enjoy, but I did pride myself on getting through the 23 mile 2 lane dirt road only my truck fit on impossible challange unscaved (This Time) hopefully never again lol it was one of those trips you find yourself screaming mean obsenities outloud at items and situations and calling yourself degrading nicknames, If only that guy from IT that called me a genius could have seen the intelligent decision I made to get myself in that predicament.. lol

Consultants are free on On RCG thats why I'm here, I have no money to be anywhere else lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
Aw shucks! Appreciate the compliment...nice way to start the day.
My criteria for attaining genius status is to figure out how to retire, get out of debt, and fly airplanes all day.

(and be able to travel and visit all my twisted friends)
Now that defines genius for sure, funny you said that as I said also If I'm such a genius why is it I'm still working here lol I say most everyday to my wife retirement is coming soon and every day her reply is oh no its not LOL

Snowman Good luck to you on that one lol wow, maybe you need one of those Taxi cabs or limo's with the sliding glass partition in the center or a good loud stereo , I'd go with the limo maybe a 4x4 limo to make sure you don't get stranded anywhere lol good luck and be safe
Waldopepperaxe is online now Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:14 AM
USA, AR, Austin
Joined Jun 2009
326 Posts
Snowdog ----I can tell you how I do it on my retirement. I was forced to quit work (disabled) . Get out debt, don't buy any thing and do with out. Fly everyday only if I have gas and fule. SIMPLE
tower flyer is offline Find More Posts by tower flyer