HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:57 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,305 Posts
Hey Bob! Hope you had a good birthday!

Nate, that was some great flying! Hat tip to ya bro!

Wayne, I am going to refrain from any comment. It feels too much like an ink blot test to me, and I'm afraid of my potential results!!

Sorry for the loss of your club member tower flyer
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:42 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,500 Posts
Tower tell me about your SE ( SigSomething Extra) set up. Got any pics.
Long since deceased SE had a pro 46 and a blonde barbie bust . The boys use to call the plane Paris. After Paris Hilton, because she flew so wild and was always getting into trouble. Now I just use the excuse I'm a twistaholic.
She was destroyed from the brunt of a woman's anger. The planes havn't stopped coming since. So the SE was Kinda like a sacrificial lamb. Bless the little balsa tree she came.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Last edited by kerwin50; Jan 28, 2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:00 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Waldo are serious? Coverite,silk, and dope?
Its the best thing you can ever do for your plane especially dope and silk once you silk and dope a plane its like a rock all bonded together. extremely easy to do, first dope the entire plane, then put the silk or paper covering on and dope the material with a brush, pull the winkles out let dry, then if needed brush more dope over the open bays and let dry again repeat this until the wrinkles are completely gone and tight as a drum. once you get the hang of it you can usually do it in 2 coats, and I assure you you will never have a piece of that covering coming loose until you pry it off. which it will come off very easily when and if you want it to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
See Waldo what I'm talking about, way back when. When I was complaining about the monocote these days.
Back in the day, when I had to walk three miles to school, uphill both ways, monocote was simply the best.
I always Loved monocote back then when it first came out, it was tough and extremely easy to get great results. the Ultracote was good but not as strong and when you taxi through cornfields you want strong LOL It is now completely my worst enemy on a plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
I like ultracote myself.
I like ultracote better than monocote but prefer coverite over either.

Quote:
Some of the really cheap covering somtimes has the clear outside cover lift.
thats the junk I just completely peeled off my Raider

Quote:
Heck with all the bad experiences y'all have with covering, I'm thinking of using saran wrap and spit! Or, perhaps tissue with a little watered-down white glue.....paper grocery bags and paste.........
Great ideas as you know my Ultrastick is packing tape covering LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Maybe just cover the entire plane with blenderm tape.
Awesome !!!!

Quote:
Guys I love when a maneuver comes together.
Tonight I took my WMPF flat foamie MX out.
Kerwin this is awesome you are having too much fun and really making me want to get out there lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by tower flyer View Post
Yesurday I went to the feild and found out that David had pass away early in the morring,he will be missed by all of in our club. It was cold,cloudy and cross wind for the east, we sat around talked for awhile . I finally put my Something Extra together and flew,then others beagin to show up and fly. There were ten people at the feild which was a big turn out for the condisions.

I found out that I have a problem with my transmitter, my throttle has a place close to the low end that seems to have a rough spot , kind of hangs up or chtches. I have been haveing trouble with dead sticks and I found that when I move the throttle stick the servo sometimes goes all the way down to the shut off point and back to where it should be, move stick from full to half it will go all the way off then back to half. I am goimg to send tit to Horizon this week. I though I was haveing tank or tuneing trouble, to many deadstiks, I have engine die on takeoff , die at mid throttle ,at idle it was not anything that made sense. I had ran out of things to check. Only found that sometimes that the servo would go past where trim was set for idle. I don't know if this description makes sense.
Tower so sorry to hear about your friend, the best thing you can do is keep those planes all flying in his honor.
Sounds like an Rx or Tx problem more than a servo problem for sure. sounds like its sending a surge or jitter to your channel 3 on the rx or a bad pot on the throttle on the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMatta View Post
Microfilm. Kinda like laquer poured on water to film out and stuck to frames with water or spit. Weighs next to nothing, not too sturdy though.
Yup its Microfilm I've never seen the operation personally, but have heard about it, I think I would use something like that on a Guillows model but nothing I fly would have it holding hold up.

Quote:
Tower you have a bad TX. It's probaly the pot on the throttle.
Good luck buddy
I'm really thinking the Turnigy 9XR for 80 bucks shipped. of course I gotta pick a module.
I don't know if I want JR,Futaba or FrSky
Of course right now I'm still flying my old Futaba 9C
I mad the mistake of telling my wife this is the last radio I'll ever need, and she remebers it.
Never utter those words in a desperate moment to get a new toy LOL and you want FUTABA !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tower flyer View Post
Tomrrow I will send off radio gear to Horizon andservos to Hitec. I will repair Something Extra and get longer screws for Big Stik, that way when gear comes back from repair I'll be ready. Grounded untill then.............BUMMER!!!!!!!!
Sorry to say But I only trust Futaba, I'm sure they have some lemons out there as well as anyone elses products But the horror stories I've heard about Hitech, Jr, spectrum, Etc... will keep me a futaba man for life. I have had many planes go down because of Hi-tech Rx's so they have really left a bad taste in my mouth. I know people who use all those different brands and love them I just can't pull the trigger, when I'm going to invest in something like that its going to be Futaba everytime for me.

Well I finished the covering on the fuse last night shes back and ready for you Snowman just have to figure out some scheme to decorate her.
moving onto repair the wing tonight.
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:09 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,500 Posts
Great Job Waldo.
Well guys, we may set a record for high temp. right now the record is 65. They do say though the winds are going to pick up into the 20 mile an hour range.
I got a couple people coming to pick up puppies, so maybe I can mix a little flying in with bussiness.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:25 AM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,555 Posts
Thats some badass downthrust right there

....looks good bro.
Dad_Roman is offline Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:37 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Roman View Post

....looks good bro.
Agreed and Agreed!
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:09 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
4,967 Posts
With down-thrust like that who needs down elevator?

Waldo, it looks gorgeous! I should've took lessons from you when I had the chance!

8 foot snow banks outside the house after this last week and a half worth of daily snowfall. Now it's supposed to warm up to 42 with rain today or tomorrow! Yuck! When it refreezes it'll make a good base for flying though!!!!

Wayne, that picture looks like Popeye with breasts smelling his armpit! Do you see it? Popeye is looking to his right.
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:11 PM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,555 Posts
Quote:
"LANDING!!!" (applies throttle)
Dad_Roman is offline Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:15 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,500 Posts
Boy o Boy. My poor poor snowy friend.
Today so far 70 degrees an sunny with a 15 mph wind.
Now just an hr ago the wind was light so I just couldn't resist maidening the tigermoth 400 after her demise last summer.
She has a 400 size bell electric motor on her and nomally a 10/6 prop. but the only prop I had was a GWS 10/8.
I checked it out amd made sure it didn't overheat the motor and then off the the cameron soccer field I went.
My buddy curtis met me there to witness the event.
I plugged the battery in cecked all my surfaces throttle up and off into the wild blue yonder she went. Now she was really climbing hard and the nose was really pointing up. I quickly add forward pressure the the elevator stick while pressing on the elevator down trim button as I throttle back.
One thing I noticed was the plane flys at a lot lower throttle setting due to the 8 pitch prop.
She flew with a little more power than scale.
I had a blast doing low slow fly bys and touch and goes. After One battery the wind started picking up so I called it good.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:33 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,875 Posts
I'm up the hill 40 miles at my college campus. It's snowing like crazy and I think my drive home is going to be miserable. The 40 mile drive represents about a 3000 ft change in elevation...
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:42 PM
USA, AR, Austin
Joined Jun 2009
326 Posts
Kerwin----My Something Extra started out as the purple and white ARF and someone else's favorite plane, until he stalled it and crashed. From the wing tube forward was crushed, fuleage behind the was broken. I told him that I would fix it for him and he told me that is was not worth fixing but if I wanted it I could have it. I rebuilt it and he could not believe that it looked like it just came out of the box. My set up is OS 46AX, Spektrum 821's , Spektrum AR700 recever, Fromeco 2400mA on regulator.When I get it repaired form Saturdays hard landing I will take some pictures. I fly it allot, I had an OS 46 SF on it until three weeks ago. I took it off to clean it up, it had so much burnt oil on it . I will put it back on when I get the fuleage fixed.
Waldo I have only good things to say about my Spektrum gear and Hitec servos, they have took all I can give 'm. They have really been good. I own 4 Futaba servos in a trainer. I don't think any thing is wrong with Futaba, I just have not used them much. I go by Tower flyer but the only Tower stuff that I have used was my very first trainer, just got Big Stik. Most every thing I have is form Horizon except for engines, I have one MDS , one to many, and one Evolution,one to many. for glow engines it is OS. Oh ! I have one Saito.
tower flyer is offline Find More Posts by tower flyer
Last edited by tower flyer; Jan 28, 2013 at 03:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:46 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I'm up the hill 40 miles at my college campus. It's snowing like crazy and I think my drive home is going to be miserable. The 40 mile drive represents about a 3000 ft change in elevation...
Its all down hill from there Nate!
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:55 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
I think Walso also has a little muffler problem also. Exhaust hole on the right, pipes left.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:00 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Quote:
Wayne, that picture looks like Popeye with breasts smelling his armpit! Do you see it? Popeye is looking to his right.
Yes, I was thinking Popeye and a few other things...
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:53 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,767 Posts
Quote:

Waldo, it looks gorgeous! I should've took lessons from you when I had the chance!

8 foot snow banks outside the house after this last week and a half worth of daily snowfall. Now it's supposed to warm up to 42 with rain today or tomorrow! Yuck! When it refreezes it'll make a good base for flying though!!!!

lol on waynes photo and it looks great in a pic but if you were to see it in person it looks like a raison left in the sun lol after 40 years of covering experience this by far the worst looking covering job I have ever witnessed. I will never use monocote again but thanks for the compliments guys.

8 foot snow banks I'm so glad we haven't seen snow like that in a few years were suppose to warm up to 54 on wednesday so good luck snowman .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Roman View Post
....looks good bro.
I only fly it inverted once lift off I just put the engine in there to weight down the nose for the pic lol its just laying there.

Quote:
Boy o Boy. My poor poor snowy friend.
Today so far 70 degrees an sunny with a 15 mph wind.
Now just an hr ago the wind was light so I just couldn't resist maidening the tigermoth 400 after her demise last summer.
She has a 400 size bell electric motor on her and nomally a 10/6 prop. but the only prop I had was a GWS 10/8.
I checked it out amd made sure it didn't overheat the motor and then off the the cameron soccer field I went.
My buddy curtis met me there to witness the event.
I plugged the battery in cecked all my surfaces throttle up and off into the wild blue yonder she went. Now she was really climbing hard and the nose was really pointing up. I quickly add forward pressure the the elevator stick while pressing on the elevator down trim button as I throttle back.
One thing I noticed was the plane flys at a lot lower throttle setting due to the 8 pitch prop.
She flew with a little more power than scale.
I had a blast doing low slow fly bys and touch and goes. After One battery the wind started picking up so I called it good.
Kerwin that's awesome and you are so making me itch to get out there and fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Good luck nate and be safe.

Quote:
I think Walso also has a little muffler problem also. Exhaust hole on the right, pipes left.
where do you see that ? Lol its all correct. Lol

Quote:
Yes, I was thinking Popeye and a few other things...
popeye wasn't something I saw and I don't think I can mention what I see.
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe