HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:59 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Caution..... Minor rant of overall disappointment.
I find the drama of the summer events (sort of seen it coming) is some what depressing. All of the King 50 assumptions and changes, what it could be versus what it should be. FLI dates, on dates of huckfest. Huckfest loosing its sponsor and picking up aeroworks. Huckfest had a cap of 12 events last year, looks like they only got around 6 this year. All of the discontent towards the FG forum, and RCG too I guess, from the venders/sponsors.

I guess things have to change, but when they work and are fun, it sux to see politics and such take the hobby out things.
End of rant.

On the upside we have a busy year already starting. Indoor fly tomorrow and we have a visitor coming from Brazil who is visiting Penn state that found us on the web. Spikesfest (local baseball team) is having us do static display and flying demos at there yearly indoor event in a Huge sports complex. We have a weekend mall show center stage main entrance feb 22 and 23. 3dates planned for the Spikes games including the season opener. Our yearly open fun fly (like Daniel came by for) is July 28-30 if anyone is up for camping in the area. We still have our late summer event to plan yet to.

All and all it's working, we are up 5 new members and new blood coming in is so much fun and great for the club.

I hope all of you have a great time this year. It's not a hobby, if its not fun.
Ron,

Sorry to hear about all the chaos around the Huckfest and the King 50 this year. Looks like FG/RCG reacted pretty strongly to the changes in the R/C forum landscape this past six months which includes 3DHS and Extreme Flight giving some strong support to 3drcforums.com. It is a real shame that they stooped so low as to "punish" Joe Smith as a result of their rule changes for the King 50. I had been hoping to go to the King 50 myself this year, but as you said, with a 3drcforums.com and 3DHS FLI that same weekend, I'm going to be attending the FLI in Knoxville instead of the King 50.

Speaking of something fun, our club is having our annual dinner tomorrow night, and I've got a bunch of great raffle prizes for the event already in my car. I've also got a brand spankin new Hangar 9 Meridian 10cc airframe to raffle off for a cash raffle...last year we raffled off a 70" Revolver and the proceeds from the raffle covered the cost of the airframe; we hope to do the same again this year with the Meridian. As an officer (president) I am not eligible for either raffle but that's okay because I'm saving up for a 50cc airframe this spring!!! Hopefully, a used Extreme Flight 88" Extra with a DA-50R and fully outfitted with servos, etc. Hope I can scrape together the cash for this opportunity.

We have indoor flying at a local soccer dome available, I just have not had time to go since Christmas...this week is the club dinner...maybe next week.

I agree...keep it fun...we've got at least six new members this year and they are all active....that makes it fun too.

Cheers,
Mike
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:24 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,635 Posts
Hey guys, I realized I forgot to post this vid here. It was the first place I intended to post it and neglected my twisted brothers. Apologies

New orange 51 slick maiden day (10 min 25 sec)
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:31 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
I must be lucky (or stupid), I've seen these posts about other forums, about FG, and so on. I have no idea what anyone else is talking about. The only other forum I can think on is RCuniverse? I didn't like it. So I check in here. FG's is cool because they have some extreme stuff in there. Also seem to be a little bit more laid back on the moderating. Seems all the bases are covered here. Not sure what politics could happen on a web forum, but then again I guess I'm not that deep into the forum.
Wookster...a new 3D specific forum was created last fall (3drcforums.com) which understandably caused some upheaval for FG and FCG. [Disclaimer: I am one of the three stakeholders in 3drcforums.com and I manage the technical aspects of the web site.] RCUniverse is barely worth visiting these days, and their classified system is horrible (IMHO)

The politics are that 3DHS is supporting 3drcforums.com and not FG, so FG is retaliating by messing with the King 50 rules. So there you have it, that's how politics get played in the R/C forum world.

I've probably said more than I should already. But I will say one more thing: the main reason we created 3drcforums.com is because we disagree with the RCG's support (and thereby FG) of Hobby King's unethical business practices. We believed we could have a forum devoted specifically to the 3D style of flying across all vendors (3DHS, Extreme Flight, etc) for airplanes and helis and profiles, etc that was founded on support from ethical vendors and a drama free user base. I think we've accomplished that, and the site is continuing to grow.

This is the only thread on RCG that I participate in anymore....this thread rocks and you guys are awesome. That is all.
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:27 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,460 Posts
Good morning boys,
Poltics and MF'ers go hand in hand. Thats how we all ended up here over at RCG
I do visit FG, There isn't the crowd that there is here. RCU has had alot of problems with there servers and mods. Here we don't get jacked with.

I got some doggie things going on today but boy it's going to be really nice out today.
I may just very well get a flight in. I havn't heard back from K49 so I don't know if any of the other boys will be able to join us.
Now don't laugh but I may have to mow today. Twist field is a wreck There are some weed that are waist high. Right now twist field is a hand launch only field.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:33 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,530 Posts
Nate awesome vid you are flying fantastic !! Nice torques, tumbles knife edge and hovers its like that plane was made for your thumbs lol
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:12 AM
RC = Drama Free
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
11,645 Posts
From what I seen on FG the nighthawks moved their event into July, its not a conflict from what I can see. I just really like going to the events and everyone just has fun together and it didn't matter the forum or the brand flown.

Ultimately all of this is free advertisement, gets people talking, it's part of the machine and everyone involved is a gear in that machine until the next change.

The thing I like about the King 50 is it brings new players to the front, there are some wonderful kids coming up into the ranks, it is how Joe came into the light. Joe is so wonderful when it comes to helping these new players.

I am a solid supporter of 3DHS products, and the company without question. As a club office we have Extreme Flight, Hanger 9, Aeroworks products and they all shine in their own way and I want them all flying at our field. Our new members coming in get to see and feel all the products and choose what they like, not what I like. Seeing comps with PAU and Pilot involved rocks.

Not every one starts out with a 3D plane and hovering, the events need to also encourage new flyers to be excited with the hobby, without them there is no more new blood to show up to a future King 50 type event.

My earlier rant included forum changes, it wasn't meant to shine light on anyone forum or sponsor, it was just a symptom / side affect of the machine. I started on rcg and obviously met some good folks and I know where everything is I need. I use FG for specific threads and info naturally, as well as huckfest info. Limiting the places I have to look for info is important, FG announcements post here and makes for good collaboration. Obviously forums must make decisions based on protecting the interests of the sponsors and income to keep the balance for their users, it's all about the clicks and he ads at the end of the day.

I now use 3drcforum to track and gather info on the FLI and other events that have transitioned and are not active here. I can't say I actively participated in the 3D threads here (or fit in to them) like I do on this thread, seems my rollers are not to par and I haven't earned a lot of friends there, a side of folks I know from other threads , so I am just a lurk in the reading. Please don't take my rant or my lack of activity as not supporting you guys.

This thread is cool!
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:21 AM
RC = Drama Free
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
11,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Nate awesome vid you are flying fantastic !! Nice torques, tumbles knife edge and hovers its like that plane was made for your thumbs lol
No doubt, great video, your rollers look really locked in. I wish I could have spent more time with my 51 before it took to harvesting corn. Covering is in so the 57 shall be out this year, the. XPS nanos are in stock and I have 3 coming so no more worries about lockouts.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:17 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,460 Posts
O it was a twisted twisted day. It start off cold. 30's with an easterly wind at 8 to 10 mph winds. Now I tried to fuel the twist up but it started puting it out as fast as I could put it in.
There was a hole in my 3 line set up. I trimed off the bad end but then ran into trouble have it stay on the outlet tube from the tank. After fueling I just crammed the line behind the engine.
She was a real bear to start. My starter wouldn't hardly turn it over and it's a 1.8 hobbico starter. I pulled the plug and even then it was still turning over hard. I just decided to keep cranking on her steady. She finaly got a boat load off fuel thru her and loosened up. I put the glow plug back in her and tried again. She sputter once and died and then after putting the starter to her again she came to life. I let her warm up at 1/2 throttle then opened her up and adjusted the needle.
Boy that OS runs. I idled her down and looked at everyone and said I'm going for it. Now I was in my front yard and the flying field was 150 yards or so away. O well she's going up.
I hammered the throttle and the twist was off. I was holding a bunch of elevator she when she leaped into the air she went vertical. I backed off the throttle and the right wing was dropping quite abit. about a 1/6 dozen clicks of aileron and she was fling level.
As I cut the throttle back even more I add more elevator trim. I held her in a pattern till I walked to the runway.
Of course after I got to the runway I had to sit down. Thats when the fun began . Now my 1st vertical I noticed she was pulling hard to the left. After she climbed to 200 ft I chopped the throttle And put her into a flat spin. O the twist is back.
When it came time to land her I ended up landing her in the pits. O well I own the pit.
Now out at twist field every landing that leaves the plane in one piece is a good landing.
All WOS are judged by the amount os pieces your plane is in.
I just couldn't resit another flight and this time I relied on shear power to take off on the brush covered runway. I gotta admit the bush really makes for gentle landings.
Yeah guys the twist is back
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:20 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,460 Posts
Now snowy here's a couple of pictures of what a northwest missouri timber looks like.
If you look at the last picture, the last tree on the right is your bow tree
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:58 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,072 Posts

Nice progress Waldo
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:21 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,635 Posts
Good work Kerwin.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:42 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,253 Posts
Sticks head in and waves.
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:52 PM
Hardrock Miner
Livingston, MT
Joined Jun 2006
752 Posts
If this is right, I'd have been gone a while ago.

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21359255071.277705.jpg
Views: 49
Size: 197.4 KB
Description:
jacklegchris is offline Find More Posts by jacklegchris
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:16 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
4,433 Posts
Awesome flight report Kerwin! No Snow!!!! How awesome is that......no snow!!! Buddy, may I suggest a good going over of your field with a mower of some type.....maybe a tractor and disker followed by a harrow. I would love that big tree on the left on that last picture........

Plow, don't you like us anymore?
snowman is offline Find More Posts by snowman
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:21 PM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Sticks head in and waves.

Waves back. Hope all is well with you buddy.
NoMatta is online now Find More Posts by NoMatta