HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:54 PM
United States, NJ, Middletown
Joined May 2012
419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Josh, welcome again. Did you say you had a 3DHS plane? How do you like it?
Thanks! I do have a 3dhs 62" osiris! I hope to love it ;-) right now it looks like a brown box

I'm still acquiring the components for the build. Servos should be all here today and batteries by next week. Have to order the motor today, a hacker a50-12s.

I am not half the builder any of you are so right now I'm stuck on a big stick 40 arf ;-)

I'm a little worried about what I've read over on the osiris thread about needing to measure wing incidence and joining the elevator halves but ill muddle through and I'm getting some great advice support from all the masters on rcg. I'm more of an electronics guy than a builder so I procrastinate an awful lot and then hold a long night build session that usually results in a very tired guy at work the next day.

Seems I grabbed the last hacker at esprit and aero was all out of stock for the next two weeks.

I'll be posting my travels in assembly over in the osiris thread. I think I might buy the jesky video that covers it first and watch it a couple dozen times ;-)
joshgluck is online now Find More Posts by joshgluck
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:39 PM
USA, AR, Austin
Joined Jun 2009
326 Posts
Beat by Big Stik again, I found the trouble with my throttle today . I thoght it was a problem with the tuneing but it was the servo going out. I had a tower pro Mg 993 and it quit . Lucky for me it was in my shop and not in the air. It went to full throttle and would not move. I will be puttig in new servo and optic kill switch.

Welcome Josh.
tower flyer is offline Find More Posts by tower flyer
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:26 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,308 Posts
That's good stuff Josh, keep us posted!! We love pics here too!!

Snowman, that is the best idea I have heard in a while!!! We could pass it around each year! Thanks for thinking of the idea and bringing it to fruition!! Do you need us to chip in on it? Will it have each years winner engraved on it?
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:29 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,061 Posts
Slick has shipped I just started cycling my batteries to make sure they are ok after sitting for months. I also plugged in the power system and everything looks like a go Delivery is scheduled for Wed. I won't be able to put it together until Friday or Saturday though. Maybe I'll do it Friday night and maiden it next Saturday. Can't wait
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:39 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=28405

Not my best flying, but since it was the only entry....
Very nice

Twist 60 rocks
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:54 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,321 Posts
Illinois is now less one raccoon now. 12 hours in the drivers seat. Me done
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:48 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
O no DOG , That coon could of fed your fanily for a day and the hide brought you 20 dollars.
Have a safe trip.

Tower, Josh , We all love pictures please post. I know, Ive been a bit relaxed on posting but I'm down a camera.

Guys you'll never believe what happened yesterday.
It was around 40 somthing with a light wind. So when I headed out to the property I grabbed the little MX the WMPF's flat faomie and pico tigermoth. I had these 2 brand new 500 ma 2s batts that I'd just boughten. So with a quick toss in the air she was off and doin a 100.
After triming her out I started working on my hovers, followed by some flatspins. When all of a sudden when I went to chop the throttle. Nothing.
I mean Nothing, she was running full tilt, balls to the wall. I still had control of the elev,rudder,and aileron. Just no throttle control
I can see this on a gasser or nitro, But a leccy. Who'd think.
I flew her for another 2 minutes or so before the power went way down.
As soon as she landed I heard the ESC squealing from the prop not being able to turn.
I got to her with in seconds and unplugged her.
Now get this. I plugged battery 2 in her and the throttle was just fine.
So what the heck I flew her again.
This time no suprizes.
I may try it all over again today given half a chance. I got batteries on charge now.
I've also started working on the Green Machine. yesterday I cut out the old battery plate for the nimh I had in her. And now I'm build a new battery platform for my LiFe 2500.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:25 AM
USA, AR, Austin
Joined Jun 2009
326 Posts
Kerwin I know that feeling with balls to the wall,lucky the stik was held to the floor and not in the air.Now I know what killed my twist,I just did not think about it being the servo. I did take a few pic. of the nose clip I will try to load them up and post
Last edited by tower flyer; Jan 18, 2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:08 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshgluck View Post
Thanks! I do have a 3dhs 62" osiris! I hope to love it ;-) right now it looks like a brown box

I'm still acquiring the components for the build. Servos should be all here today and batteries by next week. Have to order the motor today, a hacker a50-12s.

I am not half the builder any of you are so right now I'm stuck on a big stick 40 arf ;-)

I'm a little worried about what I've read over on the osiris thread about needing to measure wing incidence and joining the elevator halves but ill muddle through and I'm getting some great advice support from all the masters on rcg. I'm more of an electronics guy than a builder so I procrastinate an awful lot and then hold a long night build session that usually results in a very tired guy at work the next day.

Seems I grabbed the last hacker at esprit and aero was all out of stock for the next two weeks.

I'll be posting my travels in assembly over in the osiris thread. I think I might buy the jesky video that covers it first and watch it a couple dozen times ;-)
Josh,
I'm surprised that the Osiris needs to have the wing incidence measured...most 3DHS airframes are built spot on and don't need tweaking.
There is another site for 3D flyers, 3drcforums.com - a good deal of 3DHS veterans are over there, you might check it out and see what they have to say. I know the Osiris is not technically a 3D flyer, but there are some good resources nonetheless.
Oh, and welcome as an "active" member of this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
Very nice

Twist 60 rocks
Thanks David, it really is a fun plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Illinois is now less one raccoon now. 12 hours in the drivers seat. Me done
Well done...take a few more with you on the way home Hope your son and daughter in law are doing okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
As soon as she landed I heard the ESC squealing from the prop not being able to turn.
I got to her with in seconds and unplugged her.
Now get this. I plugged battery 2 in her and the throttle was just fine.
So what the heck I flew her again.
This time no suprizes.
That's right Kerwin, if it doesn't fly right the first time, just fly it again!?
Hope the throttle doesn't jam like that when the plane is flying at you!

Nate, I'm excited for you getting another Slick! Looking forward to some flight videos...congrats!

If I'm lucky I might get a chance to do some indoor (dome) flying this weekend.
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:33 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,965 Posts
hey kids just another quick Check in

DOG man thats a serious miracle and bad luck all at the same time hope your kids are doing better and prayers are with them for a speedy recovery.

I myself spent 14 hours in a blizzard on wednesday morn then yesterday went up to the beautiful Adirondacks and beyond for another 13 hour day what a nice drive until the way home when my stupid GPS decided to put me and my 53 foot trailer on a snowmobile road in the back woods for 23 miles and then again on another 21 mile back road just like it. I was on a back ice and snow covered road that winds the back side of whiteface mountain I was never so freaking drained in all my life from such an intense road course and the biggest thing was doing 20mph in low gear down hill and as I was looking at the 90 degree turn coming up and then a 1/2 mile hill to climb on ice right after the turn I don't know how me or the truck driver behind me ever got up it after about 10 miles I had had enough but had to press on anyway somewhere along the line I lost site of the trucker behind me I'm hoping he didn't crash. but this was the stupidest driving situation I've ever been in for sure. it was a 2 lane road that looked like a mountain bike trail and only the truck would fit on it if anyone ever came the other way it was not going to be pretty. a friend of mine who works next to me lives out that way and when I was telling him about it He was freaked and said man that is a seasonal road at best you don't take that with a car in the winter ever ! which was probably why I didn't see a single vehicle on this 2 lane highway for the entire 23 miles I'm sure I looked like this for the entire hour and 20 minutes I was stuck on that road. driving in the blizzard to NYC was a cake run compared to that one.

Snowman Sweet on the hodown trophy I can't wait to see it and then display it proudly on my mantle for the 2013 contest

Snowdog has saved Waldo from many Gray hairs thanks so much for the formula, man That is awesome. But I'm still taking you down in this years hodown lol

Ok thats all I have time for today now i have to insert 20,000 pieces to catch up from not getting anything done in the office this week.
Waldopepperaxe is online now Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:36 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,061 Posts
kerwin glad you got that plane down safe... weird issue for sure. I have not experienced that.

Josh, good luck on the Osiris build. That should be a really amazing pattern ship for you. Don't worry about not having a twist... I was posting here for a year before I ever got one

It looks like I still have 3 good batteries for the 51 slick (down from 7). The 4 I decided to retire were getting pretty weak before so I don't feel like it is that big of a loss. The 3 good ones should be awesome and enough for plenty of fun. I always take my charger with me anyway and if I'm taking out the big slick too then 3 flights on the 51 should be plenty for one outing.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:43 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,061 Posts
Waldo those are some freaky driving conditions! I lived in Alaska for two years and got plenty of experience driving on snow and ice. People have asked me about driving in those conditions in -20* or colder thinking it must be really dangerous. What I found was that 20* with snow and ice is MUCH more dangerous and slippery. When it gets really cold the ice actually gets tacky because you lose that thin liquid moisture layer that hangs around in "warmer" temps. It is kind of like your tires are sticking their tongue on the proverbial flag pole when it is really cold out. Anyway, I am glad you made it safely. Next time I guess you will make the gps re-route you when you "miss" that turn-off
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:46 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post

hey kids just another quick Check in

I myself spent 14 hours in a blizzard on wednesday morn then yesterday went up to the beautiful Adirondacks and beyond for another 13 hour day what a nice drive until the way home when my stupid GPS decided to put me and my 53 foot trailer on a snowmobile road in the back woods for 23 miles and then again on another 21 mile back road just like it. I was on a back ice and snow covered road that winds the back side of whiteface mountain I was never so freaking drained in all my life from such an intense road course and the biggest thing was doing 20mph in low gear down hill and as I was looking at the 90 degree turn coming up and then a 1/2 mile hill to climb on ice right after the turn I don't know how me or the truck driver behind me ever got up it after about 10 miles I had had enough but had to press on anyway somewhere along the line I lost site of the trucker behind me I'm hoping he didn't crash. but this was the stupidest driving situation I've ever been in for sure. it was a 2 lane road that looked like a mountain bike trail and only the truck would fit on it if anyone ever came the other way it was not going to be pretty. a friend of mine who works next to me lives out that way and when I was telling him about it He was freaked and said man that is a seasonal road at best you don't take that with a car in the winter ever ! which was probably why I didn't see a single vehicle on this 2 lane highway for the entire 23 miles I'm sure I looked like this for the entire hour and 20 minutes I was stuck on that road. driving in the blizzard to NYC was a cake run compared to that one.
Glad you made it outta there in one piece...you are now qualified to be a star on Ice Road Truckers or something, I think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Snowdog has saved Waldo from many Gray hairs thanks so much for the formula, man That is awesome. But I'm still taking you down in this years hodown lol
Good friends, good fun, friendly competition...bring it on!
looking forward to more fun in 2013
btw, that formula is coded to fail randomly if I don't win the 2013 competition
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:30 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
btw, that formula is coded to fail randomly if I don't win the 2013 competition
ROTFLOL thats great as a matter of fact I would love it if it did then I could blame the people who plugged it in to the program I was not put back on to work with. LOL not that I really care at all but I think its funny how they lock it out from anyone but the IT people and then need the regular shmoes like myself to help them figure it out lol Only in NY as we say. After watching many Ice road trucker episodes I have to say my deal was a cakewalk to most of them, even though I felt completely at the arms of Mother nature at least i wasn't in fear of dropping into the water lol I was in fear of just about everything else. lol

Kerwin yes that was a great save for sure nicely done and very weird none the less, but isn't it little problems like that when occuring that make the hobby so exciting LOL

Brathanke I hope you get to maiden her next Saturday and delivery for Wednsday must seem so far away LOL sepecially knowing it shipped. and yes driving with freezing temps is much easier than slightly lower than freezing for sure. Alaska must be a trip to live in.

I have to say I think I'd like to go back to using a regular old Map at least that way you set the path you want to go on and not end up at the mercy of a computer which knows nothing about the conditions you are facing. Or maybe just A GPS with a Truck route feature LOL

Josh yup all is good here, you don't need to have a T_ _ _ T to belong, you just need to be a little T_ _ _ Ted to understand what the heck were talking about sometimes LOL

Tower That is great that you found out on the ground for sure My friend had a Stick and the throttle disconnected at WOT once so he handed me the box what a nice long flight of fun with someone elses plane I was climbing high and doing slightly inverted nose dives trying to stall her out but that OS just kept on screaming finally it ran out after about 20 someodd minutes and we deadsticked it in.. That was awesome I believe we have it on Video also not too exciting to watch as nothing happened spectacular LOL
Waldopepperaxe is online now Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:08 PM
USA, AR, Austin
Joined Jun 2009
326 Posts
Here are the few pictures I have of my stik nose job.Name: Big Stik 020.jpg
Views: 35
Size: 254.6 KB
Description: Be fore the cut. I took 2" off the nose.

Name: Big Stik 021.jpg
Views: 39
Size: 265.2 KB
Description: After the cut.

Name: Big Stik 022.jpg
Views: 28
Size: 290.6 KB
Description: New firewall

Name: Big Stik 023.jpg
Views: 26
Size: 158.1 KB
Description: Inside before tristock installed

Name: Big Stik 024.jpg
Views: 28
Size: 131.2 KB
Description: Balance at 4"

Name: Big Stik 026.jpg
Views: 29
Size: 250.6 KB
Description: Throttle Servo that died Tower Pro MG 995. I will replane with HiTec 645, that is what the rest of the servoes are.