Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:28 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
11,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
I see. Both antennas on this one are routed to just below the saddle. One is vertical on the left and the other is horizontal on the right side.
Routed up to but not up away from all of the Metal. I meant the RX is mounted on the side near the saddle, so all of the antenna is up high away from the Gear. I just zoomed in on the photo, are the tips of the antennas in cased in glue?

Even the Smart Fly boards come with a clear plastic 45 angle bracket to get the antanna wires away from the metal and wires.

Just sayin, if you are still looking for ghosts, and this plane is assembled the same as the other 2, I would move that RX. Ground range checks have the TX above the Metal LG, when in the air that puts metal in the direct path.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:05 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Routed up to but not up away from all of the Metal. I meant the RX is mounted on the side near the saddle, so all of the antenna is up high away from the Gear. I just zoomed in on the photo, are the tips of the antennas in cased in glue?

Even the Smart Fly boards come with a clear plastic 45 angle bracket to get the antanna wires away from the metal and wires.

Just sayin, if you are still looking for ghosts, and this plane is assembled the same as the other 2, I would move that RX. Ground range checks have the TX above the Metal LG, when in the air that puts metal in the direct path.

They are not in glue Ron. I use a bit of hot glue to hold the coax in place. The antennas themselves just have some blenderm tape over them to keep them from getting snagged. Since the antennas are silver, they are practically invisible. You can't see the one on the right. It is tucked in the side under the ply. the gray parts you can see are just the coax. Both antennas are several inches from the landing gear. I have been using hot glue for quite a while to keep the antennas at the correct orientation with no ill effect. I sometimes use the fuel tubing method as well.

The first fail was after 8 minutes of successful flight. I am 99% sure that the power came loose from the receiver on that one. The second one, the transmitter was directly behind the plane and it had not gained a lot of altitude. I don't think that there was any chance that the landing gear would have blocked the signal.

I always to a horizontal 360 degree, engine running range check. This time, just to take that possibility into account, I will also do the range check with the engine vertical and do another 360 degree check.

The receiver has been mounted in the same general area and the antennas always routed up to the saddle area and at 90 degree diversity.

As an aside, I recently had the antenna ripped off of my firefly. The receiver came loose and got into the prop. One afternoon after working on the foam YAK, I wanted to fly it but I had not repaired the antenna. I decided to just tape the receiver down and fly it anyway. I was able to fly it up to 250' or so away with not problems and no antenna. That was much more than I expected. That was with an Assan tx module and rx.

Anyway, I will do extra diligence in the range check on this one. I am going to visit my brother this week so the maiden will wait until my return.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:19 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,490 Posts
Careful snowy, you get that much snow all the drunkin snowmobilers will be everywhere.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:44 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
11,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
They are not in glue Ron. I use a bit of hot glue to hold the coax in place. The antennas themselves just have some blenderm tape over them to keep them from getting snagged. Since the antennas are silver, they are practically invisible. You can't see the one on the right. It is tucked in the side under the ply. the gray parts you can see are just the coax. Both antennas are several inches from the landing gear. I have been using hot glue for quite a while to keep the antennas at the correct orientation with no ill effect. I sometimes use the fuel tubing method as well.

Anyway, I will do extra diligence in the range check on this one. I am going to visit my brother this week so the maiden will wait until my return.
You are right, it is hard to see the whips in the pic. I use the fuel tubing / dubro micro rod tubes for that all the time, it just seems important to not get the tips covered with anything.

Futaba's are normally rock solid. 2.4 in general is not nice around carbon or close contact with anything metal, even more so in a vibration cases.

I have only had one lock out with 2.4 and the RX was in the belly of the plane <51 slick with a spektrum>. It was the only handy place to put it at the time, and the voices in my head said no, "rush to complete" won out.

72 Mhz seems like they all went in the belly, but they had many inches of wire out side.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:28 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
4,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Careful snowy, you get that much snow all the drunkin snowmobilers will be everywhere.
You had to go and remind me about those cursed machines........thanks, you're a real friend! I just popped a filling and the nerve is exposed.......want to take a poke at it for effect???? *long silence to get him wondering if I'm truly hurt or not...........then a BIG smiley face to let him know that everything is good in the world!* Who can't love any poor schmuck that puts Heinz 57 on prime rib.....God help them!
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:02 PM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,451 Posts
Snowman you are my mentor

1000000 words could never give you justice to say how great a guy you are and have been

Elequance is an understatement when reading your posts
You have intelligence and humour of the greatest of men in history

You are very funny and very smart gentleman
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:13 PM
USA, AR, Austin
Joined Jun 2009
326 Posts
Kerwin 50.....I'll try this agin. My 20ccDLE has ran great form day one. When I got it I put it in the 150 T---t, I mixed up some Stil Ultra 40:1 and fueled it, I pulled the choke and fliped to prime (5 or 6 times) turned on ignition and fliped till it spuddered, pushed in choke and fliped about three times . It srarted but was rich. I leaned the high neddle till RPM picked,then set low end till it idled and transitioned good. I flew two or three 10oz tanks through it. Then I started to run 30:1 and adjusted neddles agin. Now when I fly I pull the choke ,open the throdle and flip about 4 times, set the throdle to idle trun on ignition, filp till it pops, push off choke and it will start most of the time on first flip and will start on one flip for the rest of the day.

If I was to get another engine it would be 35cc DLE because more airframe chooses , but I do like the 20cc.

Wayne thinks for the info. on the stik, I am working on it but slow.:

Snowy I can not for the life of me begain to know how anyone can LIKE Hinze 57.........A1 is better.
tower flyer is offline Find More Posts by tower flyer
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:51 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
You had to go and remind me about those cursed machines........thanks, you're a real friend! I just popped a filling and the nerve is exposed.......want to take a poke at it for effect???? *long silence to get him wondering if I'm truly hurt or not...........then a BIG smiley face to let him know that everything is good in the world!* Who can't love any poor schmuck that puts Heinz 57 on prime rib.....God help them!
I have never eaten prime rib. I don't think I could get enough A-1 on it to cover up that bloody looking meat. Maybe I could get them to grill a piece until it is well done (charred).

I did like 57 but they decided to change the recipe and make it sweeter. I have never liked it since.

One steak topping that is worth trying is mustard. I was introduced to that in England. It is actually good, especially if you can't get A-1 or Ketchup.

Hey David, have you been tipping the ol' Glen Bretton?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:57 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,490 Posts
O snowy you do love me don't you? It's not my fault. It's just bad genes. scientist havn't been able to isolate the Hienz 57 gene as of yet. I think if you fed me more of your prime rib with Heinz 57, They may be better able to isolate it. Or at least get closer.
There maybe a cure yet. Maybe some nothern pike frozen and over nighted to my adress is a start.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:03 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
11,977 Posts
I have stayed clear of this but simply put...

If you have to put condiments on your steak.....

"You are doing it wrong."

"Go home Chef.... you're drunk"

Running out of cheesey internet slang slams.

A good cut of meat on a grill just needs some fresh pepper corn ground across it and blood running from the corners.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:36 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
4,838 Posts
DOG.........SEE, that's what I've been sayin' all along! I am not a solitary soul preachin' at the pulpit!

Wayne, I know you're a wee bit squeamish at the sight of a rare piece of beef and for that you can be forgiven...but to cover the taste of beef is blasphemy!

Kerwin, anytime you want fish sent down to ya.......just send a pre-paid shipper filled with dry ice (can't get it here).......and I'll fill it up for ya! That's fair isn't it?
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:46 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
11,977 Posts
A little Slickness

The 57 is waiting on my covering order to come in from Amain Hobbies so time to crack open the 70 Electric Slick <like Nate less the gas> and put in the up graded 71 inch slick motor box.

If you ever get a chance <a side from the bad that brought you to this point> to install a 3DHS motor box, these things are sweet and lots of fun.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:53 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,802 Posts
+1 on motorboxes!
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:19 PM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,583 Posts
A-1, A-1, A-1, YEAH A-1 (or of course ketchup, goes on anything, 'cept bacon )
NoMatta is offline Find More Posts by NoMatta
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:43 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
I have stayed clear of this but simply put...

If you have to put condiments on your steak.....

"You are doing it wrong."

"Go home Chef.... you're drunk"

Running out of cheesey internet slang slams.

A good cut of meat on a grill just needs some fresh pepper corn ground across it and blood running from the corners.
It isn't that I have to have something on my steak. I WANT to put stuff on my steak. I like peppercorn sauce, bleu cheese, and sauteed mushrooms. I like the taste of A-1 and a steak is just an excuse to have some.

I am not a big bacon fan but it has all kinds of flavoring added. I don't know if anyone would like bacon if it was plain.

People are always smokin' stuff to add flavor, which I don't like.

I am good with people eating tartare, sashimi, oysters, and other forms of bait. Charred should be a new food group maybe?

Oh, and I am making waffles in the morning. I plan to use butter, blackberries, and syrup on them too. I could cook them rare with batter leaking out when you cut them open but I like mine crispy. My wife puts peanut butter on them. I think that is sick but...