Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:00 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
I wrap battery in Depron foam and fly
The battery is in the rear of the fuse. It is wrapped in latex foam.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:18 PM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,460 Posts
It's wrapped in foam that hitec uses for anti vibes
I think it depron

It's insulated now and blocks off air flow to cool battery

I did funny test and put battery in freezer to see the volts drop fast
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:21 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,761 Posts
What an awesome thread, I'll never be able to quit saying that

Snowdog and Brathanke thank you a million times - will plug in both entries and see what one works best for the application needed I have to wait for monday to test them so this is going to be a long weekend. After about a good solid 6-10 hours over 2 days of plugging in different formulas I'm really anxious to see it working.

Kinda like building a jet and then just staring at it lol sorry had to go there wayne and I'll let you know. Stick looks awesome and to be honest I've never seen a bad stick, all the ones I've seen fly like trainers. So this has to work for you, good luck

Snowman man you are getting some great fishing in, excellent and well deserved and I can't add anymore holes to my belt lol oh and no you flew the ultra stick lilke you've owned it all your life it was the raider that took an unexpected loss of RC reception

Kerwin a henway rotflol

we have a house showing tomorrow at 2 and we get the grandson for the evening also ok back to house organizing
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:35 PM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,460 Posts
Waldo you are an awesome guy

I will never stop saying that

You are coolest of cool guys Waldo

Never met on rc groups such a cool guy as you Waldo

You are so nice and such a gentleman

Make the best videos and songs

Also comment on all,other guys videos and posts like a perfect gentleman

You are the greatest and best guy ever

You are gold standard

Edit you help out many many guys
Make very interesting threads and posts
Cream of the crop type of guy
Do all things and way above to help out guys

Waldo I can't stop saying good things about you and what you do to help out others
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:44 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
Mine works for infinite weights. The actual formula is in one cell; the other cells are just there to allow easy customization of the formula by defining parameters for all the computation variables.
That is sweet. I have never used the Quotient function before. Most of the time in accounting we are dealing with a tax table or something that doesn't have rates that change for infinity. I'm sure I'll encounter problems like this in the future. How long did it take you to wrap your mind around that and put it into practice... knowing you are a programmer tackling this sort of problem every day...
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:03 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Why is that Ron?

The antennas are clear of the landing gear area. The receiver is mounted on velcro giving it a bit of cushion. I did not pick the spot but It seems ok.
Reflection since the gear is below and the antenna being near the metal blind nuts. I typically mount the RX on the side of the fuse on the trainer / highwings, getting the antennas up towards the wing saddle. Antenna near anything metal, even servo leads wiggling a bit near them has been seen to cause issues.

It may not be related to your failures, but when you are stumpped why they happen, remove anything possible.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:17 PM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerwin49 View Post
Hey Wookster!
What was the name of that Helicopter that your flew up at our field?
thanks
Kerwin49
Blade 450 3D
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:33 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
That is sweet. I have never used the Quotient function before. Most of the time in accounting we are dealing with a tax table or something that doesn't have rates that change for infinity. I'm sure I'll encounter problems like this in the future. How long did it take you to wrap your mind around that and put it into practice... knowing you are a programmer tackling this sort of problem every day...
Yeah...not too long once I clearly understood the problem domain and the desired results...you are right...this is the kind of thing I do all day.
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:44 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,497 Posts
Snowy your sure making me jealous of catchin all those northerns. Maybe I can talk K49 into a trip up there and spend the weekend fishing/flyin.
But if not just keep chuckin those fish in the freezer.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:31 AM
USA, AR, Austin
Joined Jun 2009
326 Posts
I got a bit of a surprise yesterday, our club president and another member that I fly with , gave me a big brown box. Inside it was a box with a GP .60 Big Stik. I was really surprised. I had been planing to build a stik or something to replace my 150 T---t, they thought it would be better if they just give me a new plane.

I am going to take ths 20cc DLE and all off the t---t and use on Big Stik.
Wayne how did you do the tail wheel on your stik?
Last night I got the wing together. Today I will start with striping every thing out of T---t.
tower flyer is offline Find More Posts by tower flyer
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:25 AM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
I put more holes in my belt!
Thats funny right there!

Quote:
Mine works for infinite weights. The actual formula is in one cell; the other cells are just there to allow easy customization of the formula by defining parameters for all the computation variables.
Cripes! I almost didnt understand that

Quote:
...this is the kind of thing I do all day.
...and quite adept
Dad_Roman is offline Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:45 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,497 Posts
O Tower, It looks like either santa came extremely early, or extremely late.
How do you like your DLE 20? Was she hard to tune? I've been thinking about getting a DLE 20. It's still up for debate though.
To be honest it's a toss up beteewn the OS 120 and the DLE 20. The biggest reason I'm considering the OS 120 is the smell.
Gasoline has much more of a odor. This is very important in apartment life.
But then again I may not be in this apartment always.
And gasoline is so much cheaper than nitro or electric

Well they say winter weather is on it's way. A cold snap has started. And they say snow is on the way. Two inches, they predict.

O look at me, my snowy friend has his plane all snow ready. Ski's and all.
My planes all still roll. I need to step it up.
Snowy just how did you make your ski's?
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:27 AM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Reflection since the gear is below and the antenna being near the metal blind nuts. I typically mount the RX on the side of the fuse on the trainer / highwings, getting the antennas up towards the wing saddle. Antenna near anything metal, even servo leads wiggling a bit near them has been seen to cause issues.

It may not be related to your failures, but when you are stumpped why they happen, remove anything possible.
I see. Both antennas on this one are routed to just below the saddle. One is vertical on the left and the other is horizontal on the right side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tower flyer View Post
I got a bit of a surprise yesterday, our club president and another member that I fly with , gave me a big brown box. Inside it was a box with a GP .60 Big Stik. I was really surprised. I had been planing to build a stik or something to replace my 150 T---t, they thought it would be better if they just give me a new plane.

I am going to take ths 20cc DLE and all off the t---t and use on Big Stik.
Wayne how did you do the tail wheel on your stik?
Last night I got the wing together. Today I will start with striping every thing out of T---t.
Beware that I every Big Stik 60 I have built was nose heavy. You need to consider this if you put the DLE-20 on there. We have an ASP61 on this one and the others had OS90FX engines. To avoid adding lead, I cut the bottom of the fuse open and put the batteries in the tail. You would need to put in a smaller tank and move everything as far back as you can to keep from adding a bunch of tail weight. Since I don't install the nose gear and move the main gear forward, they may be a bit of a wash.

A 90FX is pretty much all the power I could imagine on that plane and that is a 15cc equiv. Anyway, I would research the weight thing a little. If you put both batteries in the tail, you might be OK. If you are going all the regulator and stuff, you will still need to move stuff back I think. You can compare the weight of the 91FX and the ASP-61. The 91 had to have a 2000 battery all the way back to balance. The 61 had to have the battery about 4" from the back end to balance. If the DLE with ignition and stuff is a lot heavier, you are going to have trouble balancing it.

One option would be to shorten the nose. The GB Wild Sticks we built were very nose heavy so we cut 2" off the nose of them. If you do this, you can also put a hatch on the top for access to the fuel tank area. This was not as hard as it sounds. We measured back 2" from the front at each corner of the fuse. This preserves the engine incidence. Then we cut it off on a band saw. The Big Stick has a sheeted ply frame so you would need to add a little ply around the inside of the nose. Now you can cut a new firewall and install it.

I use a Sullivan tail wheel. I epoxy a ply plate to the bottom of the h-stab. The best installation I have found, so far, it to drill a hole from the top of the brass piece and out the side at an angle. I drilled and tapped the whole normally used for the spring so I can put in a grub screw. I use a piece of piano wire and insert in from the top and out the side. I have to put a little bend in the end of the wire to get it in there. I straighten the wire so that it point straight up and the put the grub screw, with Loctite, in.

After the vertical fin is installed, I drill a hole through the fin and the h-stab. I use a long bit so it is straight with the fin and at the hinge line. I try to keep this hole pretty small.

Now I insert the wire up through the hole and position the mount so the wire turns freely in the hole and along the hinge line. I put screws in the mount when I am sure that I have the position correct.

I test fit the rudder on the fin and mark the rudder so that I can bend the wire 90 degrees and insert it into the rudder without interfering with the lower hinge.

I drill a 1/16 hole for the wire and cut a groove in the rudder hinge line so the wire fits without interfering with the hinge line. I then bend and cut the wire. I check that the wheel is straight when the wire is straight. It sometimes needs a little bending.

Then the rudder goes on. I apply CA to the wire on the rudder when I glue the hinges.

Make sure you use wire that is big enough to take the torsion of steering the wheel.

I use 1/4" ply for the main gear block. You can see in the photo that I install it against the bulkhead at the front of the wing saddle. I mark the center of the landing gear and the gear block so I can align them. I then install the T-nuts before installing the block. I use petroleum jelly in the holes so the epoxy won't fill the holes when I glue them. I use a heat gun to make sure it goes all the way in. Another, maybe easier way, it so put masking tape over the screw holes. Then I just epoxy to the floor of the plane making sure it is glues well to both fuse sides and the bulkhead. You need this for support because the bottom is just balsa. One of the planes I did has been flying for 3 years and never knocked the gear out. You can pin the sides of the gear block if you want some extra support.

Good luck.
Last edited by waynemia; Jan 12, 2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:21 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
One more thing Tower, the last two kits I did, the h-stab was not level with the wings. I had to sand that, left side on both of them, to level it out. I have not seen that on other arfs. I just wanted to let you know. This one needed some sanding on the bottom of the fin so it could fully seat at the rear. I have not had that before. Anyway, be careful on test fitting stuff.

The bevelling of the wings, fin, and h-stab have really increased the range of throw. One of the things I always wanted on the Big Stik was more throw. It is extra work but I really like the results. We have had to notch the elevator to allow for rudder clearance on upward throw. This one has about 75 degrees down deflection on the elevator. 1 3/4" on the ailerons - the high rate in the manual is 1". Rudder is about 3" L/R.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:21 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
4,944 Posts
Tower......nice score! Keep us posted!

Kerwin......I made skis out of the thermoplastic in a dishwasher tub that was ready for the dump. For a T_ _ _t or Dirty Birdy........2-1/4"x 11-1/2".......cut a ski point on front and round the sharp corners (for looks) in back.........then just heat with a heat gun and turn up the tips........tape 'em in place and let 'em cool........now just rivet a 2-1/2" of aluminum 1" angle and mount 'em and you're ready to go skiing!
Just put in a whole mess of fillets into the freezer......I'll let 'em freezer burn there for awhile until your next visit! Personally, I only eat fresh fish.......I leave the freezing to Gorton's or Mrs. Paul's ......or whoever does that kinda stuff!

My front yard is devoid of snow (not counting the old snow-blower made snowbanks (local word)). We too are supposed to get a foot or more tonight........I sure hope not..........I was starting to think Spring in the middle of Winter.

Wayne, great pics as always!

David22.......you're my optimistic role model!
snowman is offline Find More Posts by snowman