HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:54 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,021 Posts
I always found my engines to run a little better on the richer side in cold temps, that doesent mean its right.

Well we were up until 4am last night had a nice celebration for the wife's B-day lots of ping pong action and food to boot were all dead today lol and now I have a cold temps in the low 20's and having sneezing fits I hate those lol
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:01 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
I went out today. Helped get an OS91/Big Stik setup on a 9C. The temp was cool. My hands got pretty cold buddy boxing on a glider.

Anyway, this engine had not been started in about four months. We primed it up, made a lot of turns to get some fuel mix in the cylinder, and started it up. Ran it for a few minutes with the glow starter on it. I then turned the HSN about a half turn rich. Set the throttle to WOT and leaned it for pinch test. I am sure it was previously tuned in 90+ temps so I expected the HSN to need adjustment.

We ran it for several minutes to let it loosen up, checked transition, and confirming the HSN setting. Then we idled down and set the idle on the transmitter with 0 trim. Adjusted and checked the Idle Cut-off and it was ready to fly.

There were 4 or 5 other glow planes out and a couple of gassers. A few electrics too.

I just leave the glow starter on a bit longer when it is cold to let the engine reach temp.

I don't know anything is different in the winter except we have to richen it up a little.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:17 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,312 Posts
Yep, gotta richen her up to compensate for the cold dense air.
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:33 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Well it's been a twisted sunday even though I didn't fly. Instead I spent the day in an out of the modedl airplane room. I started working on the club's Kadet LT. I set the smoke alarm off 3 times using the heat gun to remove epoxy.
It took me better part of the day to put a new motor mount on and tricycle landing gear.
I had to savage blind nuts and the likes. I have american blind nuts on on the top of the nose gear block and metric blind nuts on the bottom of the block.
Some times a man has gotta use what he has to use.
All in all it was a good day in the shop.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:03 AM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckskin View Post
The main thing I have found, is let the engine warm up good on the ground, and don't run it too rich. It needs to run a little on the hot side or it will cool down and die in flight. It's been a while but I used to fly in 20 and 30 degree weather a lot.
It just seems for me at least, to get my birds to perform in the 20 degrees means adding a shim and going to a hotter plug. Then on that august fly in where its 108 degrees, you gotta take it all out. Just a pain for me. I fly all electric in the winter.
Wookster is online now Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:23 AM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,610 Posts
OK Gents. Here is a link I hijacked from another forum we all most likely visit in the humor area. Knowing the general mindset of you all, if this don't crack you up, you may be dead. It is posed as an example of British humor. I'm posting it 'cause I need a break to let my sides quit hurting. Slightly risque, but not obscene.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-revi...owViewpoints=0
NoMatta is offline Find More Posts by NoMatta
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:30 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMatta View Post
OK Gents. Here is a link I hijacked from another forum we all most likely visit in the humor area. Knowing the general mindset of you all, if this don't crack you up, you may be dead. It is posed as an example of British humor. I'm posting it 'cause I need a break to let my sides quit hurting. Slightly risque, but not obscene.

Sunny beach..... I got to think before clicking.....
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:37 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Boy dog your up early?
I'm up but the day is too early to plan. I've got so many things that need to be done.
Being semi retired is not all it's cracked up to be.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:10 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMatta View Post

NoMatta I don't even want to know who found that thread in the first place, but that is some world class humor. I had to send the link to my associates at work so I could explain why I had suddenly busted out laughing/crying whilst reading my email.
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:14 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,144 Posts
wow just wow lol
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:16 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,568 Posts
Favorite review item (so far):

It works great on convicts...they confess within 5 minutes of application. Can recommend.

SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:20 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,144 Posts
Most prisoners confessed within 5 min lol
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:36 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,382 Posts
Funny stuff right there!
snowman is offline Find More Posts by snowman
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:40 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,144 Posts
hors d'oeuvres for Sauron
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:57 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Thanks guys, I'm glad I read the reviews. I was thinking heck this may be good for dingleberry removal, but have after that I'll have to find another way.