HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:51 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Well, I'm happy to see everyone survived the end of the world Congrats Mike on becoming el Presidente!

I went out to the turf farm with a neighbor friend and his glow trainer. We set it up to my radio so I could buddy box with him. After a couple of flights he wanted to practice some landing approaches so I demonstrated a few telling him what I was doing etc. So the time came where it was his turn and he flew it straight into the ground lol. I told him to throttle up and pull out but if he moved his throttle stick at all I couldn't tell. He told me afterward than he was moving the throttle but slowly. I guess I could have prepped him better for what it feels like to abort a bad landing approach. Oh well... I suppose I don't have that much experience training new pilots yet. Anyway, I suppose in the future I'll have my throttle set high for a quick response when I take control back. The damage wasn't that bad but it ended our flying session. Boy we sure had that tunder tiger pro .46 running nice though
When I buddy box, I am flying the plane with the student all the time. If they start diving, I am pulling up. If they bank too steeply, I am rolling out of it. If they are getting too slow, I am increasing throttle. This way, I am already on the sticks and in a correction position if I need to release the switch and take over.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:28 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
We lost the second Big Stik today. Great takeoff. About 20 feet up, no control.

We don't know what happened. It passed range check before the flight and after. The low-power setting worked for 200'. Pretty sad. A lot of confetti.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:27 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
We lost the second Big Stik today. Great takeoff. About 20 feet up, no control.

We don't know what happened. It passed range check before the flight and after. The low-power setting worked for 200'. Pretty sad. A lot of confetti.
Oh Crap.... All the same hardware from the last one? What TX RX is it using?
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:29 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,963 Posts
Wayne bummer on the stick and a great method of buddy boxing also, another thing I do when traing for a landing is have the pilot do passes over the runway at a comfortable height, then I tell them to fly the approach but keep the altitude the same to get a good grasp on the plane flying down the runway and then have them drop 10-20 feet after 2 or 3 laps of the successful approach, and we continue that for however many laps it takes for them to get comfortable sometimes ill land it and make them do it again for another tank, then I tell them to keep the height but slow the plane down to idle so they can see how the plane responds at a slower speed, then after that we start to throttle down and desend and throttle back up slowly and pull out, it really helps the new pilot get used to all different speeds and corrections while their up high enough to recover with little fear, all this usually happens within 15 - 20 passes and usually helps with some confidence before that all important touch down. And then we usually get on an approach and if I see they are gliding alright I have them kill the engine and hold the glide path in. This method really seems to work well for me in teaching someone to get their landings pretty fast. And then its just practice practice practice on their part but usually after.3 or 4 tanks of fuel I can pull the cord and ill just hang with them during their flight. Some catch on very fast some take a few extra tanks to get comfortable. But all in all I love teaching people as we both have a great time.
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:17 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Guy's it's almost 12/22/2012 and I'm still alive. Though I do admit I had my doubts.
You see my DLE 30 is not pumping gas. So I loosened the pump diaphram cover and pressurized the tank. About a bottle cap or two of gasoline came out and spilled on the work bench. Missing the paper towel I had for it. So the puddle of gasoline had to sit while I tightened the diaphram bolt. I wiped it up and before heading to the dumpster with the gassy paper towel, I did the febreeze thing. Upon returning from the dumpster I noticed that it wasn't like in the commericals when they do the febreeze test. So I opened the window, done the febreeze thing again and closed the door. I then left the apt for a couple of hours.
Now upon returning home, momma had not discovered the smell of gas in the apartment. Had she of. It may have been the end of days.
She did mention it felt a bit drafty though.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:31 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Guy's it's almost 12/22/2012 and I'm still alive. Though I do admit I had my doubts.
Yes K50... the the illudium q36 space modulator was not sucessful.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:41 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,278 Posts
.........hello...........*echo* ))))))))))) *echo*))))))))) *echo*)))))))))))
snowman is offline Find More Posts by snowman
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:46 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
.........hello...........*echo* ))))))))))) *echo*))))))))) *echo*)))))))))))
Dang... I should have not left the volume up so high.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:28 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,807 Posts
Finally started the repair of the Twist I posted about in here awhile ago. Made my first replacement rib, which I am making perfect and then tracing an outline of to make the rest of the partial replacements. Not exactly sure how I am constructing the sheer web and spar replacement. Trying not to over think it since no one is going to see the inside of the wing after its covered again. Hardest part will be the replacement of the missing leading edge piece and sanding it down to a decently matching grade but I have some ideas.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:53 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,576 Posts
I can't hear you
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:02 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,278 Posts
Deeeef?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:04 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
That's great to hear seeingeye. Keep us abreast
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:05 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,576 Posts
Deaf

Lol

Where's my energy to put my efforts into rc rather than other things

I am getting deeeef
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:07 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,278 Posts
David22......I thought you were the very definition of energy?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:13 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,278 Posts
I've got two adult children in Utah that are feeling very left out this Christmas, as they can't make it home for the Holidays. So, we're going to Skype quite a bit over the next few days........playing games, etc.....my wife sent them a care package of holiday bakery so they'll even be able to have tarts, nisu, pecan tassies, etc... I'll have to shut if off when the prime rib is done though, otherwise it'll drive my son to the fringe of madness......not being able to partake of the Christmas roast! (In the spirit of the holidays......I'll leave out any reference to the misuse of Heinz 57)