HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:08 PM
Augernaut
Wookster's Avatar
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,466 Posts
1.5 inches of snow here. Blah, wasnt worth the hassle. Now the drive bck from Kearney NE last evening was exciting.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:35 PM
3d NOOBular
3DNater's Avatar
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,139 Posts
Our snow is gone already... as predicted
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:53 PM
Registered User
SnowDog1974's Avatar
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,567 Posts
The rain here is just about ready to turn to snow, and the winds have already started to kick up, and bunches of flights at O'Hare have been cancelled. We should get about 3-7 inches of snow tonight. I feel bad for travelers that are having cancelled flights, such as my co worker who was supposed to fly home tonight (he commutes to Chicago each week for 4 days and then works from Seattle on Friday)...his flight at 9pm tonight was already cancelled. Another coworker who is supposed to fly to Philadelphia tomorrow will probably have his flight cancelled as well.
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:09 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
Waldopepperaxe's Avatar
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,020 Posts
Cancelations are bummers they need more Waldo pilots

Our snow if any is going to be starting around 11 tonight we might see an inch lol

Ok this is the place to ask this
I have a 1/5 scale L-19 my friend Ernie building the tweplica right now now has the plan sheets for my L-19 as the fuse was built for a 1/7 scale so he is going to build that one the plan sheets apparently are all messed up and not labeled right appaerntly there is no 1/7 plan sheet as the plans for the wing are all labeled 1/5 scale so we were just going to shrink them down to 1/7 scale I think we are making this more confusing than it is but things aren't working out so my question is:

what is the formula to figuring out the wing length to the fuse size? Being a life long builder you'd think I know this but I don't, I slap a wing together and mount it like I did with the Twipe lol it will fly is my only formula but were trying to go scale here, the wing I have is 74 inches long minus the tips, well he's coming up with the same measurement. My fuse once built will be about 2" longer than the one he already has built, the guy we got the plans from built the wing to the 1/5 scale and the fuse to the 1/7 scale, why, we have no idea lol except he was a funny guy and liked to do a bunch of things all at once, he made templates for every part of both scales just in case of mishaps so he was all over the place on this project and left us high and dry, God rest his soul, I think he did it on purpose to see if we could figure out what in hell he was thinking. Lol
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:07 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
waynemia's Avatar
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
I don't think there is a formula. You can make the tail longer then make the nose longer as long as the fuse balances on the wing at the CG.

You can use Real Flight to experiment and find something you like.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:23 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Waldo, just a hundred miles south of here they're getting 18-24 inches, which really isn't a big deal either........when you get 45mph winds and drifting snow......then you can get drifts 8 feet high in a matter of hours.......now that's snow worth getting the snowblower fired up for!!! Rage against the snow my friends! Be safe!
I grew up in Montreal when snow would fall over night more than my height

As kids we would go play in blizzards for the fun of it, I remember mom getting us ready so there was no openings in our outfits. Those snow suits that are one piece with mittens that had strings.

The. Moon boots came popular and it was fun to look at our tread marks we left behind as we walked around.

Bumper riding was fun but most fun was making long tunnels in the very large snow banks along the road. They had air holes and candles, we would spend hours with our bare hands to ice over the insides.

I just love snow

For awhile we moved to eastern Canada saint johns New Brunswick and skate for hours across lakes, sail boat on the ice was very very cool thing

Ice fishing was cool lol but very cold and not that fun

Now in vancouver we get mostly rain and very little snow so I am not as happy as when I was kid re snow

I am in snow removal and firewood business so hope we get lots of s ow this year

That darn cub of mine just has to fly this winter season or my name is not david22
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:11 PM
Registered User
kerwin50's Avatar
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
On a L-19 you'll want somthing like an 80 inch wing and 50 inch fuse.
My dad liked doing 75 percent of the wing for fuse length.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:16 PM
Registered User
kerwin50's Avatar
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Take 1.6 times the fuse lenght
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:26 PM
BANG IT!!!
DaOldGuy's Avatar
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Cancelations are bummers they need more Waldo pilots

Our snow if any is going to be starting around 11 tonight we might see an inch lol

Ok this is the place to ask this
I have a 1/5 scale L-19 my friend Ernie building the tweplica right now now has the plan sheets for my L-19 as the fuse was built for a 1/7 scale so he is going to build that one the plan sheets apparently are all messed up and not labeled right appaerntly there is no 1/7 plan sheet as the plans for the wing are all labeled 1/5 scale so we were just going to shrink them down to 1/7 scale I think we are making this more confusing than it is but things aren't working out so my question is:

what is the formula to figuring out the wing length to the fuse size? Being a life long builder you'd think I know this but I don't, I slap a wing together and mount it like I did with the Twipe lol it will fly is my only formula but were trying to go scale here, the wing I have is 74 inches long minus the tips, well he's coming up with the same measurement. My fuse once built will be about 2" longer than the one he already has built, the guy we got the plans from built the wing to the 1/5 scale and the fuse to the 1/7 scale, why, we have no idea lol except he was a funny guy and liked to do a bunch of things all at once, he made templates for every part of both scales just in case of mishaps so he was all over the place on this project and left us high and dry, God rest his soul, I think he did it on purpose to see if we could figure out what in hell he was thinking. Lol
Want me to measure up my L 19? It's a 98.5 wing span
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:54 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
Waldopepperaxe's Avatar
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,020 Posts
Wow Dog a 95" lol what are you powering that with ?
I'll be powering mine with a 26cc I think

Thanks Kerwin and wayne also both sound advice and what I was kind of thinking

David I miss monn boots and one piece snow suits lol
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:08 PM
BANG IT!!!
DaOldGuy's Avatar
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Wow Dog a 95" lol what are you powering that with ?
I'll be powering mine with a 26cc I think

Thanks Kerwin and wayne also both sound advice and what I was kind of thinking

David I miss monn boots and one piece snow suits lol
US engine 35cc mag motor
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:28 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
Waldopepperaxe's Avatar
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,020 Posts
Sweet DOG and yes if you wouldn't mind what's your fuse length for that wing

I think with the wing tips and the with of the cabin in the middle of the wings I'll probably be around 85" or so this plane is going to be fully balsa sheeted and painted for the finish she is one heavy bird
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:39 PM
BANG IT!!!
DaOldGuy's Avatar
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Sweet DOG and yes if you wouldn't mind what's your fuse length for that wing

I think with the wing tips and the with of the cabin in the middle of the wings I'll probably be around 85" or so this plane is going to be fully balsa sheeted and painted for the finish she is one heavy bird
Wing 98.5 inch
From the motor box to the farthest point of the rudder is 62 inches

Web site says 98.4 and 63.8
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:54 PM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
NoMatta's Avatar
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,608 Posts
I guess it's official now. NASA says the world will not end at midnight. Crap .... Have to go to work tomorrow.
NoMatta is offline Find More Posts by NoMatta
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:49 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
Waldopepperaxe's Avatar
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,020 Posts
Thanks DOG

Nomatta I'm with you now I have to go to bed to ready myself for work where was the Kaboom?? There was suppose to be an earth shattering kaboom
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion New Club Thread - Northern Beaches Soaring Club Psionic001 Australia 13 Sep 11, 2014 08:45 AM
Help! Tower SUper Saver Club la528it Hot Online Deals 9 Jan 10, 2010 06:48 PM
Discussion San Francisco Model Yacht Club's multi-club Swap Meet craig_c Dock Talk 17 Oct 13, 2009 03:28 AM