HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:06 PM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMatta View Post
Have to agree. I will not be a victim. As to my opinion on causation - What can we expect from a nation that allows the family to dissolve, looks to government for everything, and celebrates Xmas instead of CHRISTmas. Done with my soap box for now, 'cause this stuff winds me way too tight.

And Merry CHRISTMAS to all my twisted friends.
I don't understand how Schools can think they don't need some kind of armed security guard in their employment. I mean honestly, one armed guard who's job it is to keep an eye on things. Not just for school shootings, he can watch the video cameras for kids skipping, mediate with the crazy parent, look for fire hazards and deal with all those little things where an authority figure is needed. checking that doors lock properly and just generally being there. Some say they would be just another number on the body count, but I disagree. Someone who's sole job is to keep the school secure from ALL threats is certainly hard to dismiss. Banks all seem to think it works. Not to mention any large building will generally have 24 hr security. How can an office building full of accountants need more security than a school?
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:26 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
4,959 Posts
What if the armed security officer goes nuts? This is the variable we're tlkinging about....randomness.
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:06 AM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,460 Posts
Don't you guys feel same sympathy for people in Iraq when USA bombs

And kills many many more innocent people

What is worse 30 children dead or hundreds of people dead

I am more mad at the mass destruction and devastation that war creates

It's very sad story about school shooting but pale in comparison to recent history
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:08 AM
Joined Sep 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
I don't understand how Schools can think they don't need some kind of armed security guard in their employment. I mean honestly, one armed guard who's job it is to keep an eye on things. Not just for school shootings, he can watch the video cameras for kids skipping, mediate with the crazy parent, look for fire hazards and deal with all those little things where an authority figure is needed. checking that doors lock properly and just generally being there. Some say they would be just another number on the body count, but I disagree. Someone who's sole job is to keep the school secure from ALL threats is certainly hard to dismiss. Banks all seem to think it works. Not to mention any large building will generally have 24 hr security. How can an office building full of accountants need more security than a school?
I teach in one of the largest high schools in my state (we have over 2,200 kids in our building). We have only one armed police officer, and he's only carrying a pistol.

Armed security teams would definitely make a difference, but we're already mired deep in the spirit of austerity, especially when it comes to school funding. It would be expensive. And yes, considering what has happened in the past, we apparently do put a price tag on human life. We should have done this after Columbine.
Billytown is offline Find More Posts by Billytown
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:41 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
4,959 Posts
David22.......our government is this huge bureaucratic entity that is powered by the elite and their agenda is their own......it has stopped being "a government of the people, by the people, and for the people" years ago. What we have left is fear of the government and the feeling of powerlessness. We enjoy a relatively comfortable quality of living and as long as we can drive our gas-guzzlers, buy stuff to satisfy our materialistic desires, eat what we want, and then take a pill for what ails us.......we can let our eyes glaze over and pretend we don't see it all collapsing around us. We are but a shadow of our former selves, but we as a nation choose not to take the red pill. (Matrix analogy)
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Last edited by snowman; Dec 16, 2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:39 AM
United States, PA, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2009
504 Posts
A counsler at coleminbine (not sure of spelling) said of everyone he has counseled, two things area affecting kids today. They are full of hatred and anger. Why this is, well some say movies, TV and video games etc... Our society embraces it, with prgrams on TV. All the cop shows depict hatred and voilence, never really showing the aftermath. Just that they got the bad guys! Changing all the laws, guards etc... wont help much until we start not accepting hatred and anger, and teaching kids not to embrace hatred and anger. Evil has been in the world forever. Nothing has changed really, other than our willingness to turn the other cheek. We've got that maneuver down really well. I hope we are all hurting from this tragedy, just hope we don't turn the other cheek and forget about it three months or six months from now like we seem to have done with 9/11, coleminbine, the amish school house, the movie theater, etc.....
Light rain falling here, so no flying today in this neck of the woods.
billd76 is offline Find More Posts by billd76
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:15 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
I don't understand how Schools can think they don't need some kind of armed security guard in their employment. I mean honestly, one armed guard who's job it is to keep an eye on things.
The guard will give a false sense of security and just be another addition to the body count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
Don't you guys feel same sympathy for people in Iraq when USA bombs
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
David22.......our government is this huge bureaucratic entity that is powered by the elite and their agenda is their own......it has stopped being "a government of the people, by the people, and for the people" years ago. What we have left is fear of the government and the feeling of powerlessness.
Yessir.... we have taken on the hands free "its easy to have our freedom" approach and now its to late. Our "life" security guard <the government> is now like HAL 9000, they are just doing what they deem best for the sheep <us>. Its at the point if we question HAL, we must be terrorists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
What if the armed security officer goes nuts? This is the variable we're tlkinging about....randomness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billytown View Post
I teach in one of the largest high schools in my state (we have over 2,200 kids in our building). We have only one armed police officer, and he's only carrying a pistol.
A guard/police officer <s> provides localized dispute managment, can monitor people legitimately accessing the facility, may tend to some truncey issues, and except pizza deliveries.

If some one is going to assult a school, they know there is a guard <s> that have weapons, when they get their assult weapon, they will just pick up a kevlar vest too. People that do these types of things are off their rocker, not stupid.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:34 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,500 Posts
well it's 40 out and the winds are calm.
Guys I'm going flying.
Fly low my friends not high
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:39 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,500 Posts
BTW DOG us back woods boys would of shot that guy in the eye.
I'll take a little 22 semi auto pistol any day over that assualt rifle. a big clumsy rifle in close range is not going to keep up accurally with that little pistol.
His kevlar would of done him no good.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:58 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
BTW DOG us back woods boys would of shot that guy in the eye.
I'll take a little 22 semi auto pistol any day over that assualt rifle. a big clumsy rifle in close range is not going to keep up accurally with that little pistol.
His kevlar would of done him no good.
Woulda shoulda coulda.... there is no doubt you would Kerwin, there is just not enough of you to go around.

Rain.... Bill is sharing his rain... I had high hopes on mid 40s and a chance for rain toward evening.... Dang inaccuweather!
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:45 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,374 Posts
Been raining here all weekend...I wish it was snow instead. Rain this close to Christmas takes some of the spirit out of it.

Gotta get back to the basics and pray...this nation was founded on God and until we get back to that, we are going to get more of the same.

Went to an indoor soccer dome last night and flew foamies from 10pm until 1am...awesome fun...some young kids were there (teenagers) - sponsored pilots for Horizon and Gaui...I had fun with 'em...they were good sports.
Kerwin I thought of you and your tiger moth last night.
At times there were possibly 20 planes in the air...helis, quads, foam jets, little mini Horizon 18" planes, and my 34" Edge foamy was probably one of the largest planes out there...it was pretty crazy with that many planes in the air!
Didn't hit a single plane, but managed to whack a light fixture...minor damage, put the prop adapter back on and got back in the air!
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:53 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
Been raining here all weekend...I wish it was snow instead. Rain this close to Christmas takes some of the spirit out of it.

Gotta get back to the basics and pray...this nation was founded on God and until we get back to that, we are going to get more of the same.

Went to an indoor soccer dome last night and flew foamies from 10pm until 1am...awesome fun...some young kids were there (teenagers) - sponsored pilots for Horizon and Gaui...I had fun with 'em...they were good sports.
Kerwin I thought of you and your tiger moth last night.
At times there were possibly 20 planes in the air...helis, quads, foam jets, little mini Horizon 18" planes, and my 34" Edge foamy was probably one of the largest planes out there...it was pretty crazy with that many planes in the air!
Didn't hit a single plane, but managed to whack a light fixture...minor damage, put the prop adapter back on and got back in the air!
In perspective.... Seen this on FB this morning from a tech that worked for me 6 years ago. She is in Manila <outside looking in> and is a very close with god in practice.

Indoor is great fun, I got a aileron tip trimmed up my a heli yesterday on the 3DHS Extra 33"
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:13 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,063 Posts
They even list the Tw_5t 40 at the end as a good platform

10cc (.60 cu. in.) Gas Engine by Evolution Engines (1 min 48 sec)
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:34 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,305 Posts
We are going to see the Hobbit!!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:09 PM
Wichita, Ks
Joined Jun 2005
1,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
They even list the Tw_5t 40 at the end as a good platform

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwcTjVbXw_A
EEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

Now I am almost out of excuses to not open my Tiger 60 kit.

-Eric
rccardude04 is offline Find More Posts by rccardude04