HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:19 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,382 Posts
We're going to be more of a nation of fools if we think we can protect the innocent from random acts of violence carried out by someone mentally ill. Gun laws won't help and more surveillance won't help either........all that will do is promote more distrust of a government that's failing miserably as it is! I wonder how our system failed the shooter as well........could it be that those in the mental health sector across the nation, which are poorly paid and as in Michigan......each case worker has a case load over 400 clients, could have prevented this from ever happening if they weren't so overworked?????!!!!
It's painful indeed.........my heart aches for those affected by this, but let us learn from this......not react to it!
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:19 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,413 Posts
As I told my wife... if an armed person wants into a school, a store, a 7 11, a locked door and a metal detector are not a deterent. Armed guards are a distraction and will most likely just make an addition figure on the end count.

Even airports, now designed to make the flight safer, by limiting what can get on the plane. All the Xray equipment, metal detectors, and TSA people would not stop someone with an assult weapon from going through an airport and killing more people then a plane could hold.

As the company I work for grows, we continue to review and plan for things like this to happen in the work place. Does adding additional card access doors between the lobby and the office attendant going to stop and event? Does getting the police to respond quicker help, or add to the count?

As snowy said, reacting, throughing money and processes at it, will just make it happen 5 minutes later then it would have.

Training..... Teaching people what to do when things happen is the only course of action to reduce risk.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:03 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
As I told my wife... if an armed person wants into a school, a store, a 7 11, a locked door and a metal detector are not a deterent. Armed guards are a distraction and will most likely just make an addition figure on the end count.

Even airports, now designed to make the flight safer, by limiting what can get on the plane. All the Xray equipment, metal detectors, and TSA people would not stop someone with an assult weapon from going through an airport and killing more people then a plane could hold.

As the company I work for grows, we continue to review and plan for things like this to happen in the work place. Does adding additional card access doors between the lobby and the office attendant going to stop and event? Does getting the police to respond quicker help, or add to the count?

As snowy said, reacting, throughing money and processes at it, will just make it happen 5 minutes later then it would have.

Training..... Teaching people what to do when things happen is the only course of action to reduce risk.
Ron,
I surely don't know the right answer here, and I'm sickened over this entire event. I cannot imagine what the parents and surviving children will have to endure for the rest of their lives as a result of this event.
I am curious about your training comment..."teaching people what to do when things happen", how would that have reduced risk in this scenario? How do you train a principal or teacher to react in a situation like this, and how would that reduce the inevitable death toll?
-Mike
[despairing that we even have to discuss this topic]
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:28 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,312 Posts
People (including teachers) should be allowed to carry guns. These gun free zones are the problem. Somebody could have put this evil sick bastard down quickly and saved a lot of those children. Gun rights save lives, gun control just creates more victims.
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:44 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,693 Posts
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:22 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
For example, the teachers locked doors and moved students to corners away from them. This probably reduced the casualties.

We had a code word at a high school where I worked. If we heard it, we locked down the rooms and students moved away from doors and windows.

Schools are susceptible to external and internal threats all the time.
waynemia is online now Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:00 PM
BEOWULF
Joined Apr 2008
18,693 Posts
When I start up my glow engines from storage which is best fuel to use to put them back into storage

All I want to do is start them up, drain tanks and store them for future use
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:09 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
When I start up my glow engines from storage which is best fuel to use to put them back into storage

Synthetic, but leave fuel in the engine.
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:21 PM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
People (including teachers) should be allowed to carry guns. These gun free zones are the problem. Somebody could have put this evil sick bastard down quickly and saved a lot of those children. Gun rights save lives, gun control just creates more victims.
Have to agree. I will not be a victim. As to my opinion on causation - What can we expect from a nation that allows the family to dissolve, looks to government for everything, and celebrates Xmas instead of CHRISTmas. Done with my soap box for now, 'cause this stuff winds me way too tight.

And Merry CHRISTMAS to all my twisted friends.
NoMatta is online now Find More Posts by NoMatta
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:33 PM
BEOWULF
Joined Apr 2008
18,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Synthetic, but leave fuel in the engine.
Thanks very much
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:49 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Alot of times I've used automatic transmission fluid
Just a drop.
Then before I fire it up I turn it over at WOT with my finger over the muffler for a second and wash off the glow plug.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:52 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post

I prefer Omega which has some castor in it. I would then use some afterrun oil if you are storing them for long.
waynemia is online now Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:22 PM
BEOWULF
Joined Apr 2008
18,693 Posts
Thanks again very very much

You guys are cool
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:58 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,413 Posts
I have a bottle of after run oil...... I keep forgetting to use it.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:46 PM
Joined Sep 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMatta View Post
Have to agree. I will not be a victim. As to my opinion on causation - What can we expect from a nation that allows the family to dissolve, looks to government for everything, and celebrates Xmas instead of CHRISTmas. Done with my soap box for now, 'cause this stuff winds me way too tight.

And Merry CHRISTMAS to all my twisted friends.
Dunno about that, but as a high school teacher and gun owner who lives in a state that is considering allowing me to carry concealed at work, I fully intend to do so.
Billytown is offline Find More Posts by Billytown
Last edited by Billytown; Dec 15, 2012 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Less inflamatory =)