HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:25 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,092 Posts
Chris, those treeless snow-covered hills send a chill down my spine even!
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:10 AM
Joined Jan 2005
5,092 Posts
Don't ask me why I have to report such things to y'all, but here goes: I was dropping off a Christmas gift of preserves and pickles to a buddy on the other side of town last night after supper when his wife asked me in to join them in a cup of home made eggnog. Well, I figured one cup of eggnog wouldn't kill my change in diet so I readily accepted. Three big mugs were put on the table and a pitcher of nog is pulled from the fridge......the conversation was light as she poured each mug full and out of the corner of my eye I see what looks like an unbeaten egg yolk plop into the mug followed by a long stringy, snot-like luggy as she finished off the pitcher!!! I looked up at her and noticed that she saw it too, but unlike myself......wasn't the least bit disturbed!!! (In hindsight I wonder why they both didn't question the look of shock on my face as my jaw dropped.) So I'm saying my prayers to myself now..."Dear Father in Heaven, I know I'm a worthless sinner, but please, DEAR GOD.......PLEASE don't let that mug be mine!" Well, my prayers went unanswered and sure as Beelzebub lives less than a block away from me......I was handed "the mug"! My buddy grabs his and gulps down a mouthful and as he's wiping the foam from his upper lip tells me that it has plenty of the "good stuff" in it......meaning alcohol, but to me it meant something entirely different. His wife, having lowered the mug from her lips, looked at me questioningly as I had yet to have a sip........so I, not wanting to hurt her feelings, put the mug to my lips and took a sip.....all the while telling myself that it's just some raw, unbeaten egg, but for some reason the mental image just wouldn't disappear and before that first sip touched the back of my throat.....I started to gag......and being that the bathroom was a few rooms away.....chose the their kitchen sink as the receptacle for the contents of my digestive tract. Oh yeah........there was tonight's supper......Chicken Alfredo...all of it, too....and I could even recognize some of lunch as the contents of my gut emptied leaving a few spasmodic dry heaves to end the event. Then to my horror I realized that they didn't have a garbage disposal. My mind raced as I turned on the water and washed the spittle from my lips only to watch the drain become blocked and the volume of vomit doubled before my eyes....diluted by tap water. I had yet to turn around so with what little dignity I had left I asked if they had a kitchen garbage bag.....I heard one being drawn from it's box and without turning around I reached out for it as it was placed into my sweating palm. I then opened it and emptied the sink out with my hands so that the drain would clear. I tied the bag closed and left it in the sink, supported with one hand, as I turned and faced the two of them.......mortified. They tried to keep their composure, but they both burst out laughing so hard that tears were coming down their cheeks....... as I stood in their kitchen with a bag of barf in my hand. If I wasn't so drained.......I could have laughed with them, but even as I recall the events of last night....I still find myself a little queasy. I smiled the best I could, put on my shoes at the door and dropped my package off in their garage garbage can as I left. They called later and apologized........they said they always leave a little of the egg visible so that guests can see that it is indeed real eggnog. I have to say.....I've lost my taste for eggnog...... Merry Christmas........everyone.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:49 AM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,468 Posts
Good one snowman
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:53 AM
Hardrock Miner
Livingston, MT
Joined Jun 2006
752 Posts
Now I know the reason I don't like eggnog. With that mental image, that eggnog smell will never be the same.
jacklegchris is offline Find More Posts by jacklegchris
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:55 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post

Don't ask me why I have to report such things to y'all, but here goes:

I have to say.....I've lost my taste for eggnog...... Merry Christmas........everyone.
Snowman, I have to admit I laughed when I first read this post. Just visualizing the scene in that kitchen, I could do nothing else. Now that I've had my laughs, I can only imagine the horror of that situation from your perspective. I feel bad for you and the embarrassment you experienced. On the other hand, I appreciate that you shared this with us, if nothing else, for the entertainment value. On the other hand, after reading your story, I will no longer be able to look at another glass of eggnog without a churning, lurching stomach as I remember your story. So I guess I've lost my taste for eggnog as well, which is probably okay, as I never drank much eggnog in the first place. Of course, the real challenge will be to control my reaction at the next family party when someone cracks open the eggnog..."eggnog anyone?!"...I'll have to be careful to control my laughter!
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:55 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,166 Posts
Good Gawd Man...... With friends like this, who needs enemies?
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:01 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,518 Posts
Snowy would you and the misses like some egg nog for christmas?
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:38 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Wow Snowman! I would have said something about the egg and just tried to apologize for my inability to consume such as that.

If egg nog was really great, more people would drink the stuff all year long rather than choke it down in December.

If it is just an excuse to drink some liquor while appearing not to, I will just have my Scotch straight, thank you very much.

I THINK the only thing I eat with raw eggs is ice cream. If I see any yolk, that is in the trash too. I don't have a lot of ice cream either. when we had homemade ice cream, I purposely avoided the process of preparing the mix.

I can't eat breakfast eggs unless they are well done. Runny eggs just don't cut it.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:46 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,092 Posts
Kerwin, don't go teasing me now.....or I'll tell your mamma and she'll ride you hard! (I'm still trying to figure out how such a find upstanding woman like your missus tolerates a man, such as yourself, putting Heinz 57 on prime rib!) I suppose you roll your dubes in a rolling machine too????

SnowDog, I appreciate that you understand the full weight and measure of the situation, which speaks to your sensitivity! Now that I think of it, them laughing so hard actually makes is less painful to recall, but I'll not recall the event with a deep belly laugh for some time....of that I guarantee!

DOG.......just what are you sayin' my man??? Well, you can thank your lucky stars that I never told you the one about the fat lady, the vinyl couch, and the pot of beans!!!!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:51 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Wow Snowman! I would have said something about the egg and just tried to apologize for my inability to consume such as that.

If egg nog was really great, more people would drink the stuff all year long rather than choke it down in December.

If it is just an excuse to drink some liquor while appearing not to, I will just have my Scotch straight, thank you very much.

I THINK the only thing I eat with raw eggs is ice cream. If I see any yolk, that is in the trash too. I don't have a lot of ice cream either. when we had homemade ice cream, I purposely avoided the process of preparing the mix.

I can't eat breakfast eggs unless they are well done. Runny eggs just don't cut it.

Wayne, I thought of that, but there I was..bringing over a few bottles of goodies that my wife and I put up.....and then I won't share a glass with them in appreciation? Poor form, besides......I knew it was egg, and I've made real eggnog many times myself, but it was just that I couldn't get this mental picture out of my head that it was this slippery, wet, luggy ....the same variety I used to hack up when I smoked for so many years! You also have to keep in mind that I LOVE anchovies.....that in itself speaks volumes.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:31 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,836 Posts
Snowman I can't help but chuckle about that story, while it had to be a devestaing thing to be going through all in all at the end at least they were laughing about it and you will too some day, See I would have just said Sorry i don't like egg nog as I had one sip when i was younger and that was all I needed to decide thats never touching my lips again lol sorry for your misfortuneate event and at least you made it to the sink I was thinking they were going to be buying a new kitchen table for a second there LOL
Waldopepperaxe is online now Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:37 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
OK, if you will eat raw meat, raw fish, sardines, anchovies, and the like just choke it down. You deserve it.

I just won't drink egg nog anyway - like Waldo.

Next time, just as for a shot of the liquor. I can take nearly any of those, even if I don't like them.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:51 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post

DOG.......just what are you sayin' my man??? Well, you can thank your lucky stars that I never told you the one about the fat lady, the vinyl couch, and the pot of beans!!!!
NOTED!!!!! Dont even go there.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:40 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,305 Posts
I love egg nog!! Fat ladies and vinyl I could do without!!
Why am I suddenly hungry for chicken alfredo? Weird.
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:45 PM
Hardrock Miner
Livingston, MT
Joined Jun 2006
752 Posts
Wow. Believe it or not, Dawn dish soap and hot water does a very good job of getting oil off lite ply. I've been so exhausted trying so many things to get rid of the oil so I can cover my T 60. I thought to myself it's junk anyway why not give it a shot. To my surprise it worked. After the wood dried, I gave it a good rub down with rubbing alcohol and walla the covering stuck. I should have it ready to re-maiden hopefully by tomorrow night.
jacklegchris is offline Find More Posts by jacklegchris