Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:21 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
I got to try the exacto knife solder idea
Andrew Jesky does it on the build video of the Osiris, it cuts and seals the edge down nice at the same time.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:29 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Is there a main stream carb with the same bolt pattern you could replace it with? That thing has been a pest.

It was sooooo nice could have flown today.... Didnt.... spent 300 bucks on the mini van. It had a little warp in one of the rotors on the front brakes. I could have had it turned but thought I got a 16 year old in it now, should maybe see to it being good shape. 2 new Rotors.... <pads where changed the day we brought it home>. New Rotors have a new race bearing, well the old bearings have 90K on them, better buy all new. The Shocks are slacking, grab a pair of them for the front.... New rotors come soaked in a sealant oil, brake clean spray is required.... Could use a can of Seafoam got the gas tank, well the other car needs one too....

Bearing were starting to blue a bit, good call on swapping. All new parts, not cleaning anything, quick project...
I think I am going to take the butterfly out of the old carb and put it in the new one in place of the home-made one. The needles are staying put pretty well on the new one but it has this other problem. Maybe between the two of them we will get the motor running nice. I can tell you one thing, if you take the high idle out of the equation, when the motor was tuned right it ran REALLLY nice. I am just sick of having cheap-@*)(& components hooked to it that don't do their job correctly.

I wonder if there is another carb I can just bolt on there... I also wonder if I bought the same carb from Walbro directly if I'd have the same level of trouble with it.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:34 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
I have one of those Weller hot knife deals but it never works very well. It does not get hot enough. I have had two and neither one worked. I use a regular soldering iron and a steel rule to remove covering for gluing and just the solder iron to open holes like servo holes, screw holes, etc.

The tape deal may work. I think I will cover a piece of wood and experiment.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:48 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Andrew Jesky does it on the build video of the Osiris, it cuts and seals the edge down nice at the same time.
Yes, a plain soldering iron does the same thing.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:56 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,144 Posts
I used my hot soldering iron for the same thing last night... I don't see the point of buying another special tool for it when the soldering iron works so good and I need it for... soldering
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:55 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I used my hot soldering iron for the same thing last night... I don't see the point of buying another special tool for it when the soldering iron works so good and I need it for... soldering
LOL, I have a separate one for covering. I don't want all the melted plastic on the tip when I am soldering.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:00 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I wonder if there is another carb I can just bolt on there... I also wonder if I bought the same carb from Walbro directly if I'd have the same level of trouble with it.
Have you tried stretching the springs or changing out the springs?

Many of the motors have the Walbro copies, I think my RCG 55 does.... I know my carb and needles look just likt the one on the DLE.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:24 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
I just remembered I have some hole punches. I could try to pre-cut the covering with one of those and then drill. I will see.
What about the old xacto knife technique? That's how I cut all the covering holes in my planes? Sorry if this suggestion has already been mentioned...I'm just trying to catch up.
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:34 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
What about the old xacto knife technique? That's how I cut all the covering holes in my planes? Sorry if this suggestion has already been mentioned...I'm just trying to catch up.
Soldering iron is quicker, cleaner, and less frustrating.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:36 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Big chunk of lead.

I have a body reamer (or two).

Waldo, I want to drill a hole in a plane through the covering and ply to mount something but I don't want to tear the covering.

I use a soldering iron to open the covering over existing holes. But I want to drill holes to mount my own stuff, like an ignition LED, and not tear the covering in the process. I have tried step drills, progressively larger bits, and spade type bits. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Need something like a sharpened piece of tubing to precut the covering before drilling. A small hole saw that does not tear the covering.
wayne all the ideas that have been listed all work great I guess it really depends on what your situation is, in the case you described the tape idea is great, I usually use the monocote iron and heat the covering so its hot and sticky then poke a hole with the point of my nice sharp xacto blade where I'm going to dril with a very small bit once you heat the area the covering should be tacky enough to drill away without it tearing but the tape is a pretty good way to go for security. On holes I just use a new blade in my xacto and on hard surfaces I will use a soldering iron sometimes, but I pretty much just use an xacto and straight edge with a brand new blade on any slicing or cutting on the model. with a new blade and a slight angle it ususally cuts like butter, I mostly cut on the stab to take away the covering to epoxy on the fin so even if I feel I sliced into the wood a touch, glue is going right on it anyway. I usually have no problem drilling holes in covering as long as you poke a hole first I can't say I ever have torn the covering drilling.

Brathanke glad your getting closer on the slick

That was a great airshow video

Well the tensioner on my van blew the bearings froze up and snapped my serpintine belt while on the highway lol luckily I was able to get it off the highway and to a parking lot a friend of mine just happened to be behind me and was able to give me a lift home after we tried to change the belt and realized the tensioner was shot, so my good cuz picked me up the following morning and 3 hours later and $70 I was running again, got out of that one pretty cheaply phewwww
Waldopepperaxe is online now Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:59 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Nate if you take that carb to your local saw shop they can size it up or you can go over to flying giants in their gas fourm and find the size walbro you need.
The china walbro clones have been a source of problems in many an engine.
Thats what I always liked about the zenoah engines is that they use walbro carbs.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:02 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Nate if you take that carb to your local saw shop they can size it up or you can go over to flying giants in their gas fourm and find the size walbro you need.
The china walbro clones have been a source of problems in many an engine.
Thats what I always liked about the zenoah engines is that they use walbro carbs.
Well after getting not one, but two bad carbs... I don't think there is any way this can be a genuine walbro carb even though it says walbro right on it.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:15 AM
Wichita, Ks
Joined Jun 2005
1,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Hey Eric........where've you been??? It's been ages? I thought you forgot about us!
Hah, I did for a while... I haven't flown much at all... Been doing the real car thing and working is about it. I got a Nano CPx and MQx for playing inside but they may not get as much use as I was hoping.

Just figured I'd stop by and say hi. Maybe I'll do a little flying next year. Just haven't had the bug like I've always had in the past. Saving up to buy a house too. Being broke is fun.

-Eric
rccardude04 is offline Find More Posts by rccardude04
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:17 AM
Wichita, Ks
Joined Jun 2005
1,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
put a piece of tape over where you want to drill. Tape holds the covering together and you can remove it after. This is how we do it when we need to drill sintra with laminate.
Sintra with laminate? Where do you work?

-Eric
rccardude04 is offline Find More Posts by rccardude04
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:20 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,312 Posts
Hey Eric! Good to see you. How's the new job?
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966