HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:08 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Alot of times Wayne I'll use a round tip soldering iron for for going through the covering as well as a pilot hole.
They also make a electic xacto knife for that.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:08 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
They also make a electic xacto knife for that.
DOG.........do you mean an "eclectic" xacto knife?

I unscrew the head of an xacto knife and insert it into the end of an inexpensive soldering pen....then you have a heated knife that performs wonderfully!
snowman is offline Find More Posts by snowman
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:30 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
DOG.........do you mean an "eclectic" xacto knife?

I unscrew the head of an xacto knife and insert it into the end of an inexpensive soldering pen....then you have a heated knife that performs wonderfully!
Home made versions are just as cool.....I have seen the blade heated with a butane torch too..
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:46 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,162 Posts
They obviously do not have to play by any of our rules.

Ilopango Airshow 2012 - Super low passes! (6 min 36 sec)
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:31 AM
Joined Jan 2005
5,089 Posts
DOG........do you live and breathe this RC stuff or what??? The only guys in the running with you are Wayne and SnowDog!
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:54 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
OMG what? until I get that .4 lb spinner, she is REALLY neutral...I like a tad leaning to nose heavy.

Miracle dots are nice
Big chunk of lead.

I have a body reamer (or two).

Waldo, I want to drill a hole in a plane through the covering and ply to mount something but I don't want to tear the covering.

I use a soldering iron to open the covering over existing holes. But I want to drill holes to mount my own stuff, like an ignition LED, and not tear the covering in the process. I have tried step drills, progressively larger bits, and spade type bits. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Need something like a sharpened piece of tubing to precut the covering before drilling. A small hole saw that does not tear the covering.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Last edited by waynemia; Dec 08, 2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:24 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
I just remembered I have some hole punches. I could try to pre-cut the covering with one of those and then drill. I will see.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:14 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
DOG........do you live and breathe this RC stuff or what??? The only guys in the running with you are Wayne and SnowDog!
I bit too much sometimes..... I am working on controlling my obsessions. I think my 2013 resolution will be....

To not build anything new.
Complete just the projects I have before 2013 <ok there will be some slip>
Spend all the money that I use going to RC Events and plan a family trip
Step back from the club this year and just be the pres and not run anything and see what the club will do on its own.
Finish the Basement Bathroom.
Fly...
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:10 PM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Big chunk of lead.

I have a body reamer (or two).

Waldo, I want to drill a hole in a plane through the covering and ply to mount something but I don't want to tear the covering.

I use a soldering iron to open the covering over existing holes. But I want to drill holes to mount my own stuff, like an ignition LED, and not tear the covering in the process. I have tried step drills, progressively larger bits, and spade type bits. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Need something like a sharpened piece of tubing to precut the covering before drilling. A small hole saw that does not tear the covering.
put a piece of tape over where you want to drill. Tape holds the covering together and you can remove it after. This is how we do it when we need to drill sintra with laminate.
Wookster is online now Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:28 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,305 Posts
Cool air show vid!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:54 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,935 Posts
I took the slick out this morning. We continued to struggle getting a good tune. We finally decided it has to be the carb letting too much air through. The only way to get a lower idle was to tune the low end super rich... this causes a big mess.

We took the plane over to my buddy's shop and took the carb out. As we expected you could see plenty of daylight all the way around the butterfly when it was closed. It did not make anywhere near a good seal.

We made a new butterfly out of a piece of aluminum. Our test showed some improvement. Now remember this is the carb that was sent me as a warranty. We did not have these tuning problems with the original carb... it just had a bigger problem with the needles wandering. Anyway I am super tired of dealing with the issues with this plane. The ratio of fun to work is way off with it. I think it is probly around the .1 range lol.

Anyway I think I'm close to a solution...

I put the extra elevator servo in the tail and it had a huge impact on cg. Now it is almost perfectly nuetral and it does straight KE with little to no coupling. It is also much more responsive to elevator inputs. I'm going to have to change the expo setting on elevator now. I did a rolling loop way up high... before the cg change it was unrecoverable once it was pointed down. Rollers are also easier to manage and steer. Now if we can just get this carb issue fixed...
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:54 PM
Wichita, Ks
Joined Jun 2005
1,986 Posts
Hi! :wave:

-Eric
rccardude04 is offline Find More Posts by rccardude04
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:00 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,089 Posts
Hey Eric........where've you been??? It's been ages? I thought you forgot about us!
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:44 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I took the slick out this morning. We continued to struggle getting a good tune. We finally decided it has to be the carb letting too much air through. The only way to get a lower idle was to tune the low end super rich... this causes a big mess.

Is there a main stream carb with the same bolt pattern you could replace it with? That thing has been a pest.

It was sooooo nice could have flown today.... Didnt.... spent 300 bucks on the mini van. It had a little warp in one of the rotors on the front brakes. I could have had it turned but thought I got a 16 year old in it now, should maybe see to it being good shape. 2 new Rotors.... <pads where changed the day we brought it home>. New Rotors have a new race bearing, well the old bearings have 90K on them, better buy all new. The Shocks are slacking, grab a pair of them for the front.... New rotors come soaked in a sealant oil, brake clean spray is required.... Could use a can of Seafoam got the gas tank, well the other car needs one too....

Bearing were starting to blue a bit, good call on swapping. All new parts, not cleaning anything, quick project...
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:15 PM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,468 Posts
I got to try the exacto knife solder idea
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)