Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:09 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
I think this is why I like an aluminium landing gear so well
Well, this is proof it does not have to be that way.

RC Model 27% YAK Cartwheels (2 min 19 sec)
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Last edited by waynemia; Dec 05, 2012 at 08:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:23 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
The maiden

Maiden Flight 3dhs Extra 300shp (9 min 5 sec)
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:12 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
surely Wayne that landing didn't crack that landing gear.
I can see why your upset.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:03 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
surely Wayne that landing didn't crack that landing gear.
I can see why your upset.
I think the first landing started the delamination. I had a dead-stick on the second flight and had an off-runway landing. When I went to pickup the plane, the left side was obviously compromised.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:27 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,962 Posts
Wayne that ane flys beautiful and looks awesome in the sky very nice sir and that stinks about the landing gear bummer, I kept waiting for the in flight smoke test lol as it lools awesome on the ground very nice smoke for surem all in all congrats and you have one sweet flying plane there.

I guess as long as your waiting for the landing gear you might as well maiden that jet lol do it do it do it, I'm dieing to see that thing in the air, your killing me over here lol
Waldopepperaxe is online now Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:33 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Yes, I am uploading video. Not real exciting though.

I am pissed though. The landing gear broke on the second landing. There are two holes drilled right in the bend on each side to attach the fairings. The left side broke and delaminated right at that point. Really screwed up my day.

Now I have to see if they are going to replace it. No telling how long it will be out of commission.

No, that did not make me feel better.
Until you sort out the landing gear, soak that split in CA and rap the area in kevlar string or carbon fiber tow, soak in CA again. That will keep the plane flying for a bit.

Tucking to the Canopy, wing rock <and the uptrim on maiden> indicates nose heavy, that plane has a lot of items that can be shifted aft easy to sort that out.

A dead stick sucks, any indication why that happened? I was seriously worried about that myself on mine. I had about 45 minutes to an hour of run time on the ground with mine, I wanted another quart before it flew but I lucked out and it ran out fine for the miden anyway.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:34 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,277 Posts
Wayne....Two things......the weave of the carbon fibers is way too large for use in landing gear and it's obvious not enough resin was used.
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:07 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,308 Posts
Nice plane Wayne!!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:28 AM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Wayne that ane flys beautiful and looks awesome in the sky very nice sir and that stinks about the landing gear bummer, I kept waiting for the in flight smoke test lol as it lools awesome on the ground very nice smoke for surem all in all congrats and you have one sweet flying plane there.

I guess as long as your waiting for the landing gear you might as well maiden that jet lol do it do it do it, I'm dieing to see that thing in the air, your killing me over here lol
I was ready for the in-air smoke when I hit the dead stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Until you sort out the landing gear, soak that split in CA and rap the area in kevlar string or carbon fiber tow, soak in CA again. That will keep the plane flying for a bit.

Tucking to the Canopy, wing rock <and the uptrim on maiden> indicates nose heavy, that plane has a lot of items that can be shifted aft easy to sort that out.

A dead stick sucks, any indication why that happened? I was seriously worried about that myself on mine. I had about 45 minutes to an hour of run time on the ground with mine, I wanted another quart before it flew but I lucked out and it ran out fine for the maiden anyway.
I am not much on trying to work on stuff like that. My fear is the landing gear will completely fail and cause major damage. It is not a light plane AUW. I need to weigh it.

I started the engine and took off pretty quick. I should have let it warm up just a little and make sure I had it running well. The engine is doing fantastic. I just had maybe 45 min total time on the engine when I did the second takeoff and it died when I snap rolled it.

It is a little nose heavier than I would like. I can move both of the main batts pretty easily.

Ron, when you mounded those fairings (they call them cuffs) did you just screw the the 3mm bolts into the landing gear through the ply in the cuff? Looks like the way the intended it. I don't think it is a good solution, for a grass field anyway. The gear flexes but the cuffs are tight against the fuse. The holes in the cuffs on mine show some cracking and the ply on one was loose when I took it off. They almost would need to be articulated or more loosely mounted to allow for the normal flex of the gear. I may look at the thread and see what the word is there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Wayne....Two things......the weave of the carbon fibers is way too large for use in landing gear and it's obvious not enough resin was used.
Yea, it looks like bad gear to me. I emailed them this morning. If they don't respond I am going to call again. Not sure I want another set just like that one though. I may get a one from Graph Tech.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:19 AM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Looking at the 87" SHP thread, broken landing gear is not uncommon.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:28 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,541 Posts
Quote:
Wonder if Joe uses the stock gear on his plane?...he lands pretty rough (harrier landing) most of the time....
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:08 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,321 Posts
Quote:
Hard call, is it the gear or how it is being treated or handled. With all the people on that thread, you just dont know skills and building habits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
Wonder if Joe uses the stock gear on his plane?...he lands pretty rough (harrier landing) most of the time....
Yeah... All of these guys from 3DHS are running the stock gear. As for as that repair , I have seen it used several times, but I understand being nervous to do so.

I will have to look tonight at the Cuff bolts, I know I made the hole a little bigger in the cuff to help line up the screws and get them started, I will find out what size they are. This also allows the cuff some space to move a little, not something I read, just seemed the right thing to do at the time.

The SHP is built to be light and low wing loading for the obvious reasons. The CF gear is a ton lighter then the gear on the EF Yak 50cc, I have straightened a set of those at our field from a dead stick in the farm field.

The CF gear is not an issue on our grass field in everyday use, do never thought about it much being an issue. Now if we go off in the deeper grass, with wheel pants <not in our mowed area> it could be a problem. This is why I run pantsless for the most part, not always sure where I may have to land this early on.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Last edited by DaOldGuy; Dec 06, 2012 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Cuff Remarks
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:00 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,308 Posts
Thinking about going to St.Louis next week. My wife is getting a degree from St.Louis Medical and I think I want CreoleBaby to see that.
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:16 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,962 Posts
Plow no 2nd doubt about it you and creole need to be in St Louis the wife would be very happy about that. You need to make that happen.
Waldopepperaxe is online now Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:17 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,277 Posts
Plow, congrats to the missus! (And to you!)
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman