HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:33 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Was your elevator pre hinged or did you have to glue them?
All pre-hinged but the rudder. Well the SFGs are the only thing I can think of for the other 4 nylons they put in the kit. The instructions says there are spare wing bolts and nylon canopy screws but not in mine. I found a note on the SFGs to use socket head screws.

I am glad they included two servo boxes. I had to glue them together to get the throttle servo up to the throttle level. I did not want to turn the carb to make all that work with the bottom hole. The DA-50 template needed to be tweaked for the DLE-55. I made one from paper because the template positions did not work for me.

The build was 5 days with two people working.

The plane was outside for around an hour today. I had wrinkles in most of the blue covering. I really dislike that Oracoat/Ultracoat. My Showtime was forever wrinkling in the purple in front of the canopy. I spent an hour getting the wrinkles out of the plane and the SFGs which were horrible. I don't know why that is so common for the planes. Maybe they can't get Monokote.

Thanks Nate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
Hah, fixed the pesky 450. Turns out those high dollar "precision balanced at the factory" CF Blades......aren't. In a last ditch effort to figure out why she shook like Michael J Fox after a red bull, I put the "precision balanced" blades on a balancer. it took two 1 inch 4-40 screws on the tip of one of the blades to balance it. Thankfully after putting another new set of CF blades on it that did balance, the LHS folks just let me take those. Now she runs great.
I have balanced some 450 blades, they can really be a problem. Glad it is sorted out.
waynemia is online now Find More Posts by waynemia
Last edited by waynemia; Dec 03, 2012 at 01:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:30 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
All pre-hinged but the rudder. Well the SFGs are the only thing I can think of for the other 4 nylons they put in the kit. The instructions says there are spare wing bolts and nylon canopy screws but not in mine. I found a note on the SFGs to use socket head screws.

I am glad they included two servo boxes. I had to glue them together to get the throttle servo up to the throttle level. I did not want to turn the carb to make all that work with the bottom hole. The DA-50 template needed to be tweaked for the DLE-55. I made one from paper because the template positions did not work for me.

Thanks Nate.
Love those servo boxes, dang handy for setting up the throttle. My elevator was pre hinged to <didnt want to assume> but it sounds like your may have been in to far, maybe causing some binding. Are those pictures with the servos hooked up? My servo arms were hitting the slot in the elevator so I had to trim just a bit to get the arm more travel. Make sure you give all the control surfaces a really good tug, I am always in fear they may forget the glue.

What batteries are powering the servos?
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:28 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
O it was a twisted, twisted sunday.
I'll tell you the weather in in missouri can be very strange.
I left the apartment at noon straight up.
The sun was shinning brightly with not a cloud in the sky.
The temp was 60 degrees an little to no wind.
I drove northward to pick up my buddy Jim.
About a mile out of town I entered a wall of fog, that only proceed to get worse as I entered it.
I mean it was just like out of Stephen King's The Fog.
Now I had been for warned. But I thought for sure Jim was blowing smoke up my
I got to his house and there was a 15 degree temp change.
I had recieved a report that the field was under fog. So we took our time installing the switch, RX, and battery in Jim's Astro Hog.
We head off to the flying field an hour an half later. As we approached the flying field the fog started getting thinner, until it all but disappeared.

As we pulled up, we seen a plane in the air. Lt Dan, alias K49 was at the sticks of his seagull Edge.
We were immediately informed of a possible inpending disaster. K49 had lost a wheel.
Not even bothering to unload, I grabbed my chair and proceed to watch.
Now K49 decided just to enjoy the flight, and started putting her through her paces.
He did one of the nicest flatspins, and that OS 91 was singing.
Then came the moment. He brings her in on approach. She's lined up, with a gentle glide slope. Then touch down. The 1 wheel rolls and the wings are holding lift. That is until about 10 foot. Thats when the right landing gear digs into the runway. PLOP the Edge flipped over.
Damage was minor but she was grounded the rest of the day.
I started unloading when the next disaster occured.
The other Dan had went dead stick and was coming down, down wind, dead stick. Now we fly in this terraced pasture, so when he landed off the runway he ripped his landing gear right off.
Now while just a few miles south it was calm and warm, at the field there was a little cross wind and the temps were in the 50's.
I started out by flying my little pico tiger moth. She always brings a smile to everone's face.
By then Jim had his Astro hog ready to go and I took it off an trimed it for him.
O it was flying nice.
My brother showed up with his electric foam yak. He was a blast flying it, till Jim an him started ing around trying to chase each other an he put her into the ground.
All in all it was a great day, even if I did go totally electric.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:47 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,436 Posts
Great flight report Kerwin! You needn't beg forgiveness for flying electric though, what happens in Missouri stays in Missouri! (Well, at least lets hope so!)
Still raining here! The snow is almost gone, but there will be just enough so when it all freezes again (late tonight) it'll be an ugly mess. Ain't I a cheerful bastard?
I haven't flown is so long I'm actually suffering from withdrawal symptoms!
I can't wait for Wayne to maiden this 55 powered plane and hover down low and dirty! BTW did I miss the maiden of Wayne's hanger queen? (Jet) Well, back to my depression.........carry on!
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:32 AM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Probably 75' floor except for landing. That is my plan anyway. Looking for a big box to put the jet in to keep the dust off of it.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:56 AM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Love those servo boxes, dang handy for setting up the throttle. My elevator was pre hinged to <didnt want to assume> but it sounds like your may have been in to far, maybe causing some binding. Are those pictures with the servos hooked up? My servo arms were hitting the slot in the elevator so I had to trim just a bit to get the arm more travel. Make sure you give all the control surfaces a really good tug, I am always in fear they may forget the glue.

What batteries are powering the servos?
Yes, I gave them a check. The aileron gaps were already sealed. I did the tail. I made sure the arms are cleared. The servos are not current stalling. The EQ6 is supplying 6.5V and the source is a lipo.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:01 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,580 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I gave them a check. The aileron gaps were already sealed. I did the tail. I made sure the arms are cleared. The servos are not current stalling. The EQ6 is supply 6.5V and the source is a lipo.
That is how my 65" Vyper came from 3DHS: ailerons hinged, glued, and gap sealed; rudder and elevator pre-drilled with hinges installed but not glued. To get the throws I wanted on the tail surface, I had to leave a small gap. Just saw a really good article on this on 3drcforums.com where a guy uses playing cards to set a hinge gap and then hold the gap while the glue dries on an EF 104" build...neat technique that I will use in the future.
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:22 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,436 Posts
Quote:
Probably 75' floor except for landing. That is my plan anyway. Looking for a big box to put the jet in to keep the dust off of it.
Wayne, that just isn't right, but who am I to tell anyone what they can and can't do.....this is still America.......although a shadow of it's former self!
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:48 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
Hah, fixed the pesky 450. Turns out those high dollar "precision balanced at the factory" CF Blades......aren't. Now she runs great.
Wookster Glad to hear you got that sorted out

Quote:
Here are some more photos.
Wayne very nice work indeed!! Very clean and neat, most impressive.

Quote:
I don't know why that is so common for the planes. Maybe they can't get Monokote.
Over the last 2 or 3 years monocote has really become quite disapointing to me, I've actually started leaning toward the Ultra cote which I really didn't like at all but that Monocote just isn't what it used to be, as it barely shrinks at all and doesn't stick as nice as it used to, My new favorite is coverite but its more expensive, I swore by monocote until they went and messed with a great product now it just plain s

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
O it was a twisted, twisted sunday.
All in all it was a great day, even if I did go totally electric.
Kerwin50 Nice job on the flight report as always, glad you had a great day even if it was just electric its still fun RC flying How does Lt Dan like that Seagull edge with the 91FX on her? I love my Aeroworks edge with the 91fx but I don't know if it really has the power I'm looking for or If I just haven't found the right prop for it yet, it says to use a 13x9 for sport flying, I used a 15x4 at first and thought that was my problem with the spool up so I dropped it to the 13x9 but it doesn't seem like it has enough holding power in a hover so I moved to a 14x4 thinking about going back to the 15x4 now that I realized I had a fuel Tank and head issue. shes running really pretty now

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
I haven't flown is so long I'm actually suffering from withdrawal symptoms!
I can't wait for Wayne to maiden this 55 powered plane and hover down low and dirty! BTW did I miss the maiden of Wayne's hanger queen? (Jet) Well, back to my depression.........carry on!
well get out there and fly for God's sake and take those blues away. I don't like hanger queens

Quote:
Looking for a big box to put the jet in to keep the dust off of it.
That is Sacrilegious and Blasphemy all in one sentence Now GET OUT THERE AND FLY THAT DUST OFF OF HER THERE IS NO EXCUSE!!!!!!!! Well,,,,, WERE WAITING

Snowdog great playing card Idea,,,,, I love learning something new everyday here
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:24 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,449 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I gave them a check. The aileron gaps were already sealed. I did the tail. I made sure the arms are cleared. The servos are not current stalling. The EQ6 is supplying 6.5V and the source is a lipo.
A longer arm wont hit, I was being obsessed with keeping the rod in line level with the stab. I thought the Hitecs maxed at 6.0? Many people argue that a EQ6 <smart fly board> is not needed on the 50CC class, I know I opted out for weight and such. They are really great on the bigger planes that have 2 and 3 servos per surface. I think they are a good product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
That is how my 65" Vyper came from 3DHS: ailerons hinged, glued, and gap sealed; rudder and elevator pre-drilled with hinges installed but not glued. To get the throws I wanted on the tail surface, I had to leave a small gap. Just saw a really good article on this on 3drcforums.com where a guy uses playing cards to set a hinge gap and then hold the gap while the glue dries on an EF 104" build...neat technique that I will use in the future.
I wish the SHP came without the Elevator attached, you can gap it like you said and get near 90 degrees. I know some people who have cut the hinges and re did them, to get more gap/throws. email/pm me a link Mike, I want to check that out <and not get anyone kicked off RCG>. We should have a code name for that other place.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:05 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,316 Posts
The 7955tg can handle hv, (per the rep), even though they aren't labeled as such.
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:48 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
The elevators were already glued on mine. I only did the rudder and all the horns of course.

I am shopping for a crown for my jet. It is still pretty anyway.

I have the wheels dropped, more front ground clearance, on the Sky Cart. It is ready for a new debut.

Wind has been high all day long. It has been running 10+ and gust up to 30mph.

Hoping to maiden the Extra if it calms down some.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:03 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
A longer arm wont hit, I was being obsessed with keeping the rod in line level with the stab. I thought the Hitecs maxed at 6.0? Many people argue that a EQ6 <smart fly board> is not needed on the 50CC class, I know I opted out for weight and such. They are really great on the bigger planes that have 2 and 3 servos per surface. I think they are a good product.

I wish the SHP came without the Elevator attached, you can gap it like you said and get near 90 degrees. I know some people who have cut the hinges and re did them, to get more gap/throws. email/pm me a link Mike, I want to check that out <and not get anyone kicked off RCG>. We should have a code name for that other place.
These are 7954SH servos. If they won't take a fully charged 6V Nimh pack, screw'em and let them burn.

I would have put a Smart-fly Sport in it but I already had the EQ-6. Like the 4" spinner, I used what was on-hand. It is over-kill but what the hell.

The NanoTechs are here and charged. I just need to put some Dean's plugs on. I modified the smoke nipple on the muffler. I added a brass tube to inject the oil farther into the exhaust path. The DLE stock muffler already had one.

I finally modified a screwdriver for setting the needles on the gassers also. It is hard to keep the screwdriver in the needle slot so I put a brass tube over a screwdriver, crimped it, and soldered it on. It should be a snap now.

I did get spare wing bolts. I found them as I was cleaning up. No more updates from 3dhs though.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:17 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,316 Posts
Wayne, you have a great setup there and a beautiful plane. Good luck with the maiden!
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:34 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,316 Posts
I want this.....http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ctric-Airplane