Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:01 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Started on a plane Tuesday afternoon. Ready to start the engine, maybe tomorrow.
Quote:
An Extra 300
The 87 SHP is what I have. You have the scheme that has won the HuckFest King 50 the last 2 years at the hads of Joe Smith. It is one of the best chassis <not because I have one> with a long record.

If you guys need to get and ignition cut in the future, this this is the shiz
http://www.tech-aero.net/ultra-ibec
No ignition battery to charge, opticcut without the line, and soo simple to install compared to the Smart Fly stand alone cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
DOG I don't believe we have a rating here c'mon man share good stories with your brothers lol
It was a really nice car show.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:27 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,044 Posts
Quote:
Well, since you asked...

Problems:
  • The wheel pants don't fit the axles. They know it but have not fixed it.
Take a Dremel to the wheel pants <barrel sanding> and just bore it out and now the pants are quickly installed and removed.
  • The spinner needs a 90mm bolt and it does not come with one.
I didnt get the CF one, I know most of the spinners I have been looking at dont come with one, I am thinking the different motors have different threads and such.
  • Two of the pre-installed bolts on the h-stabs were the wrong size
Those I think are just put there to install the blind nuts at the factory, I used the correct ones
  • The pockets in the wing bags for the SFGs and wing tube were disintegrated
Wing Tube one does the same thing
  • All three pre-installed bolts for the tail wheel were the wrong size
Same as above.
  • Both covers for the canister tunnel did not fit
They are a tight fit, I have installed several of these and it seems the temp and humidity can make them snug.
  • The landing gear block is pretty wimpy and no way to really improve it
There are angle braces in the tunnel that do a good job, if you feel you are going to be on rough surface and are concern those can be changed out for bigger. Having put a motor box in one of these before, that area is built well.
  • One of the blind nuts on the canopy would not take a screw
They now and then get a mix or SAE and M on the planes.
  • Can't get the 70 degrees deflection on the elevator called for in the manual. Many others can't either. I have not tried the rest yet.
70 degrees is only needed for extreme throws/3D and on low rates, mine on the maiden was happily KE spinning and Flat Spinning without issue.
  • Can't get the phone to ring anyone when I called
  • Email turn around time is two to three days. (Still waiting to see if they are going to replace the wing bags
I think there are a few too many discrepancies for a company that is charging a premium for their product. I also think they should help make things like pilots and instrument panels available.

I hope it lives up it's reputation in the air.
I mixed some responses above in your quote.

The plane comes out very neutral so dont be afraid to put hardware forward on your assembly.

The gear flares I did not have to tap, getting the screw into a hole I couldn't see was a bit of a task though.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:09 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
4,927 Posts
There's a real deal on an 8 harness loom on eBay right now.........$200........in Carlisle, PA..........anyone coming this way????
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:14 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
There's a real deal on an 8 harness loom on eBay right now.........$200........in Carlisle, PA..........anyone coming this way????
Its about an hour and a half S SE of me, I know the area., I could pick up and hold for you until someone goes that way. We wont have a trip west until next summer.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:42 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,303 Posts
Best RC thread ever.
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:22 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
4,927 Posts
Wow, DOG.....I'm blown away by your offer to do that! Plow you're right........this thread is the best! We will see where I stand when the auction is over. Thanks DOG!
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:20 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Ron - I fixed everything. The point is I should not have to. As for the wrong screws, there were no alternative screws and the instructions talk about them being already installed. I don't find it acceptable. On the fairings, you either use a tap or try to tap them with the screw.

The disintegration in the bags is just poor quality material.

Even if I don't need the 70 degree deflection, it should do what they say it will.

Both bottom covers had to be trimmed 1/16" to fit. Not just swelling ply.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:26 PM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Best RC thread ever.

Rain rain and more rain here

I seen one really cool ice storm one night
It happened within seconds, everything had coat of ice all over it

Right in front of my eyes

Then maybe 10 minutes later it was melted

On another hotter note
I sew sometimes as a hobby well fix the holes in my cloths anyways,and would like to make up my own lipo sacs to charge lipo batteries in.

Anyone have a link or idea to what material to use
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:25 PM
United States, PA, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2009
504 Posts
Not so good day today.

About 5 minutes into the flight with my YAK with DLE 20, it just blew apart, like some one shot it with a shot gun. Only thing left is the left wing, enigne, Rx, battery and servos. After looking at it, looks like the left wing walked off. Wing thumb screw was missing. Was flying great up until that point, so I assume that the wing bolt just loosened up during flight.
billd76 is offline Find More Posts by billd76
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:43 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Engine started today - Running well. 7K rpm on 22x8. It will improve. Throttle easy link came off when running up the engine.

Fortitude tanks pressure tested OK. I opened both of them. I replaced the clunk line with Viton and the felt clunk was replaced in the smoke tank. I had to install a fuel can set on my smoke jug. I had an H-9 electric pump so I put that on. It filled the tank but it failed when I tried to empty the tank. I had another pump so I switched it out. I can try and repair the H-9 pump. I am not a fan of electric pumps.

We did the balance yesterday and it is right in the ball park. Still need to look at the lateral. Throws were set today. Got them all but the elevator high rate. I think the elevator was about 60 degrees.

Time to button it up and let it run in some. Weather forecast has Wednesday as M-day.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:45 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post

Rain rain and more rain here

I seen one really cool ice storm one night
It happened within seconds, everything had coat of ice all over it

Right in front of my eyes

Then maybe 10 minutes later it was melted

On another hotter note
I sew sometimes as a hobby well fix the holes in my cloths anyways,and would like to make up my own lipo sacs to charge lipo batteries in.

Anyone have a link or idea to what material to use
Kevlar and Asbestos
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:52 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billd76 View Post
About 5 minutes into the flight with my YAK with DLE 20, it just blew apart, like some one shot it with a shot gun. Only thing left is the left wing, enigne, Rx, battery and servos. After looking at it, looks like the left wing walked off. Wing thumb screw was missing. Was flying great up until that point, so I assume that the wing bolt just loosened up during flight.
Damn dude! Sorry for the loss!
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:55 PM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,460 Posts
Quote:
Kevlar and Asbestos
Thanks once again wayne
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:11 PM
United States, PA, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2009
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Damn dude! Sorry for the loss!
Yeah, it was a Christmas present from the wife last year. I don't have the heart to tell her! . Was a great flying plane. A Shame is all I can say!!
billd76 is offline Find More Posts by billd76
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:23 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billd76 View Post
Yeah, it was a Christmas present from the wife last year. I don't have the heart to tell her! . Was a great flying plane. A Shame is all I can say!!
You should tell her, and tell her it was your favorite plane. Maybe she'll get you another plane this year!