HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:13 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
I still think you need a better current spec and make sure you don't exceed it. Yes, you may get by running a little over spec. In the US, we used to design everything to run 200% of spec. Times have changed. With SMT designs, smaller components, and pressure for cheaper products, margins like that are not feasible anymore. The UK used to design at 150% of spec. Many of the asian market products are not only frequently built to 100% of spec, they are often built to 90% or less of spec.

Having designed and manufactured equipment using a wide variety of parts, I never recommend exceeding MFG specs these days. If you do, you risk the air frame and I don't think that is worth it.

As for temp measurements, the are many factors in flight that don't compare to static temp measurements. A motor is pretty simple - bearings, wire, and magnets. Heat is a big killer but it is hard to reliably predict what temperature will result in failure unless you do destructive testing. When you exceed the specs on the motor, you are potentially doing just that.

So you are informed and with that bit of knowledge, make the decisions that make you happy.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Last edited by waynemia; Nov 24, 2012 at 10:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:19 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Chris - note the specs below. The recommended ESC is 10A over max Current.

Specs:
Model: 4258-500
Kv: 500kv
Turns: 6T
Poles: 7
Resistance: 0.144 Ω
No Load current: 1.6A @ 10v
Max current: 60A
Max Power: 1300W
Shaft: 5mm
Weight: 319g
Bolt holes: 25mm
Bolt thread: M3
ESC: 70A
Cell count: 5~7 Lipoly
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:30 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,074 Posts
Got a Big new Mustang in the club, Top Flight I think with a Bison 69cc gasser. This should be a sweet flyer. Bill talked like he was not 100% impressed with the ARF but it did go together well. Has a Smart Fly board, even has a dedicated servo to the retract tail wheel.

I am waiting for the wind to stop blowing a gale. The 87 SHP is due to go up, want to do it when Arron maidens the new prototype 50CC plane <its sweet>, simular to the one Joe has but a snazzy scheme.

Cold and Windy... Snowy must have sent this over while he was hunting with the kids.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:03 AM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,369 Posts
No flying to report so I'll go off topic again.

Just got back into KC. The weather turned cold for the last two days. No more RC flying with the hotel owner. Lainey wasn't happy at the lack of airshows, but we found a scenic train in branson that did a "polar express" ride. I don't know where it comes from, but this little gal loves trains. This was her first ride. You should have seen the look on her face when we went INSIDE the choo-choo. Then the wide eyed look when we started to move. Too dark for good pics, but I did get a shot of her running around the engine dancing and saying "Hi choo-choo"
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:54 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,504 Posts
Choo, Choo
I'm so jealous
Branson is my greatest screw up. Back in 1974, a buddy of mine's dad, tried to get me to buy this delapidated house an 3 large lots totaling close to an acre. All for 2500 dollars
It's now part of the strip in Branson.

Well it's sunday and it looks like a flyday. I hope I can get the boys all together.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:10 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Choo, Choo
I'm so jealous
Branson is my greatest screw up. Back in 1974, a buddy of mine's dad, tried to get me to buy this delapidated house an 3 large lots totaling close to an acre. All for 2500 dollars
It's now part of the strip in Branson.

Well it's sunday and it looks like a flyday. I hope I can get the boys all together.
I lived fairly close to Brandson and had never, ever went there. I have not checked the weather, too depressing.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:00 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
We had favorable flying conditions today.
Wayne Now that was an outstanding flight report
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Got a Big new Mustang in the club,
DOG I love those mustangs I thought it was going to fly like most war planes when I got my first one but to my surprise every single one of our Mustangs all flew tlike they were on rails, the precision paths they fly are bar none the best.... he is going to love that thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
No flying to report so I'll go off topic again.
Great looking family Wookster and glad your having a great time with them. Gotta love a train ride

Well its official the Fiels is winterized the winds were suppose to be in the low 20's but ended up in the upper 30mph gusting range Can you say we had a blast for our last day All I had with me was the T40 and I just loving playing in high winds with that baby, man she was really blowing across the sky once you gave her a hover with the wings facing the wind, Just great fun and gives the rolling harrier a whole new meaning LOL I have been flying this ship for I don't even know how many years now and the fun never gets old all in all a fantastic day except for the shut down of a season LOL But like I said Its now Building season.

Wayne I know many of you don't really get a building season persay but our summer season here is usually a REbuilding season on a weekly basis LOL

when we finished up yesterday I was thinking wow I can't believe I didn't total anything this season, so I can jump right into the new builds usually after a season I fix everything that was destroyed over the flying season then get to the new builds, I must be slipping and was going too easy this season for that to happen. so I'll have to try harder to push the envelope next season as thats just embarrassing not to crash anything into dust particles all season, the closest I cam was when I sabbotaged Snowman with my Raider and even that was nothing more than a 15 minute repair I had my share of rough landings and torn off landing gears, but all my repairs this year consisted of about 20 minute fixes tops. No wondering I'm itching to build so badly lol
Waldopepperaxe is online now Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:16 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Wayne DOG I love those mustangs I thought it was going to fly like most war planes when I got my first one but to my surprise every single one of our Mustangs all flew tlike they were on rails, the precision paths they fly are bar none the best.... he is going to love that thing.
That is my understanding, the Mustang is one of the few war birds that are consistant to Fly in RC... He had some surse words for the build but I bet it flys great.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:40 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,774 Posts
Well when We did the mustang formation team build, 4 of us built GP 40 sized and it was really a pretty straight forward build pretty simple, The 5th Mustang was a Top Flight ARF I believe as the guy didn't have time to build one over the winter ,so he found a Miss America scheme but all 4 Mustangs flew exactly the same Like on rails and smooth as glass, very cool There is one GP mustang that hasn't even maidened yet and he was the guy that built his first LOL

The BAck 3 stangs in this pic are all Full Build GP 40 Stangs The front plane is a TF ARF 2 had 61 FX's 1 had a Magnum 60 and the other had a Supertigre 60

This vid was as close as we ever got to having all 4 mustangs up at the same time on film Usually we had 3 of us or just 2 of us there so we have all flown together quite a few times but the day all 4 showed up MY cuz had a problem with his on take off leaving just 3 of us in the sky with a camera guy there are only 2 Mustangs of the original 5 in flying condition I completely incinerated mine when the fin flew off and pulled the servo tray loose rendering all my controls completely useless I have all the templates cut out out for the Scratch Build when the team decides to try again

RC Planes in the rain (10 min 12 sec)
Waldopepperaxe is online now Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:19 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,305 Posts
Wow! I just caught up!

Welcome to the new guy! Just keep that T60 and hang with us!

Great pics Wookie, beautiful family!

No flying for me, lots of work!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:40 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
4,986 Posts
More snow and wind.........
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:08 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,880 Posts
snowman weren't you dreaming of a white Christmas? Beautiful this time of year with all the snow and pines and snow and wind and pines
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:54 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
snowman weren't you dreaming of a white Christmas? Beautiful this time of year with all the snow and pines and snow and wind and pines
He needs to keep it to his side of our mountains... just sayin....

2013 is around the corner... it a strange feeling with the #13 being involved. Already, lots of drama and politics have unfolded in preperation for 2013. I myself have decided a snowy attitude for 2013 would be in order. Time to sit back and watch it all unfold.... and not let it get on my shoes.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:33 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,504 Posts
O we had a twisted flyday. I got a chance to maiden the astro hog. This plane has been setting for 4 years.
The temp was mid 40's with a northerly wind of about 8. The sky started out with an overcast. And it was down right chilly.
Now the astro hog didn't have an on/off switch so we just plugged a 2000 ma nimh battery and put her together.
Fow some reason the throttle trim wouldn't work on his 10 yer old radio but we made due.
The ST 61 roared to life. The rudder didn't have a tremdous amount of through in it. so turning the plane was a small issue. Of course she's got a wide track landing gear an she lazely rose off the runway.
I hand the stick over to him and let him fly it for awhile before I landed it for him.
LT Dan pulled a kerwin and left his TX at home. He had to drive home to get it. Luckly his wife met him part way.
He was sure flatspinning his .50 size MX
My brother flew the tar out of this electric yak I bought 3 years ago for 30 bucks.
I flew one flight on the Green Machine but the motor still isn't running right an I've got an aileron sevro starting not to center.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:52 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,880 Posts
sounds like a good day kerwin. Sorry about the servo trouble. I have a couple of those solar servos you are running (I think) and would be willing to part with them pretty cheap if it helps you.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater