HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:52 AM
United States, PA, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2009
504 Posts
Muffler???

What exhaust/mufflers will fit and work with the ASP 120 2 stroke? I recently purchased a plane that has a brand new ASP 120 2 stroke, but no exhaust. Will an OS exhaust fit? I know I can get a pitts that will, just wondering what others will cross fit.
Thanks

Nate, Have you tried elevator/rudder mixing? 3D guys at the field do it all the time. I have no clue how to do it, but they say it does wonders for all 3D manuevers.
billd76 is offline Find More Posts by billd76
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:06 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
It could be a wing incidence problem but I really doubt it. When full throttle the plane is going pretty fast... at least 60 mph and the rudder is huge. Also with the big fuse there isn't a need for a ton of rudder to hold her steady in KE. It could be pulling to the gear some during that and I might not have noticed since at this point I have only done it up high and pretty far out.

As for moving the cg back... not sure how to go about doing it... I guess I could move the throttle servo but I really don't want to. The ignition can't really go anywhere and my batteries are as far back as I can get them. They just don't weigh very much. Anyway... I'm sure Ill figure something out eventually.
Inverted test typically will give you a feel for the CG, not to mention after a trim flight is the elevator centered on the stab or not. Tail heavy will couple to the canopy.. Once the CG is set, the plane becomes neutral, take it up 60 mistakes high, chop the power in a dive and see if it tracks to the ground or tucks to gear or canopy, that will tell wing incidence.

We just did all of this a few weeks back with a 50cc Reactor, the better it got <was nose heavy> the bigger his smile got. It really is worth the time setting up an airframe.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:30 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billd76 View Post
What exhaust/mufflers will fit and work with the ASP 120 2 stroke? I recently purchased a plane that has a brand new ASP 120 2 stroke, but no exhaust. Will an OS exhaust fit? I know I can get a pitts that will, just wondering what others will cross fit.
Thanks

Nate, Have you tried elevator/rudder mixing? 3D guys at the field do it all the time. I have no clue how to do it, but they say it does wonders for all 3D manuevers.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...fler_Assy.html
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:51 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
From the NSRCA trimming chart

Knife Edge Pitch Fly model on normal pass, roll to knife edge, left and right, use rudder to hold model level

A. Model does not change pitch
B. Model pitches to canopy
C. Model pitches to belly

A. No adjustment needed
B. Either move CG aft; or increase wing incidence; or mix down elevator with rudder
C. Reverse of B

Since we typically have a hard time or impossible to change the wing incidence, CG and Mixing are sometimes all we can do.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:13 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
4,927 Posts
The fibberty-giggit needs to by-pass the hyper thing-a-ma-bob resulting in laminar-transitional turbulentossity.....when this happens we can plainly see the resulting instabilularity decreasing to manageable levels of perpetuity. Comprende?
snowman is offline Find More Posts by snowman
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:53 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Since we typically have a hard time or impossible to change the wing incidence, CG and Mixing are sometimes all we can do.
Very true.. We have a pattern guy in the club, his last scratch built <from plans> plane has the ability to adjust the wing incidence, its really sweet.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:37 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,497 Posts
Now guys believe it or not but buy raising and lowering the ailerons 1/2 degree or so will also help control AOA in a knife edge.
I like the 45 degree inverted upline to check my CG.
Here lately while working on my KE flight I've been holding pressure on my elev stick and using it to steer my plane in a KE.
I've been making turns with it right now, but I hope to be able to do pattern KE flights.
My little buck huck has terrible coupling but practing 1/2 patterns in a Knife edge is helping me keep more on top of that elevator.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:41 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,497 Posts
O BTW somtimes it's not so much the wing incident as more the H stab.
The problem with so many ARF's is there is no reference given to where the datum line is.
So on an ARF it's best to zero the H stab to the wings on a 3D plane.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:54 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
The fibberty-giggit needs to by-pass the hyper thing-a-ma-bob resulting in laminar-transitional turbulentossity.....when this happens we can plainly see the resulting instabilularity decreasing to manageable levels of perpetuity. Comprende?
Perfect explanation

99 balls of dough on the shelf,, 99 ball of doughhhhhh,,,,
take one down roll it around,,,, 98 balls of dough on the shelf
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:47 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
4,927 Posts
Waldo, thank you for seeing my point! Now we have to do something about you being the consummate "Yes Man" and get you out of the kitchen......there's good flying weather out there man! Let the relatives eat cake/pie/doughnuts....how can we exist without your flight reports????
snowman is offline Find More Posts by snowman
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:32 PM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
What does comprende mean? Every thing else makes sence. Fiberty is spelled with one b I think but might be wrong about that.
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:48 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,864 Posts
I took the slick out again this morning... at the end of my first flight I did a full throttle pass with a slow roll. Half-way through the roll the canopy came off and just exploded. I mean it was a mangled mess of plastic and balsa pieces. I brought the plane in without any other problems but 3dhs does not have any more blue canopies and they don't plan to make any more. I can get a red one... I guess that won't be too bad... I'll just have to go ahead and integrate it into the scheme with some custom vinyl.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:55 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,044 Posts
More ARF Profiles it seems
http://www.exilehobby.com/product-ca...rofile-planes/

Dang nate... "When canopies explode"..... Arron had one do that and it took out the elevator half that was connected to the servo on a 30cc edge once. Did not end well
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:19 PM
Pawnee, OK
Joined Jun 2008
220 Posts
I hope you all get to fly something over the Thanksgiving weekend. It look like I'll be lucky to get any flying in at all. Two perfect flying days in a row here and I probly won't get a chance to take advantage of either. At least I get to spend them with my family, but I'd rather spend them with my family at the flying field.
buckskin is offline Find More Posts by buckskin
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:28 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,353 Posts
I hear you buckskin...great weather, but no flying. However...I'm really thankful to be with my son and his wife this week.
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974