SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:35 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Oh yeah.......as if David22 is going to give up beer!!!!!

David22.......are you going to give up beer?

Canadians drink beer like teenage boys drink milk! (By the gallon and they don't use a glass!)

I have to give up beer
And stop eating sweetbread and liver with bacon

The pain is just to much to handle

It sucks getting old
I see no advantage to getting older

Sure I drank lots of beer that is or should I say was very tasty
Giving up the organ meat really is going to be hard to do

Anyone ever have gout in the foot and then sprain your foot
So you have gout and sprained foot
That my friends is very painfull, as I recently just experienced and feeling and recovering

Eating gout friendly foods as well is very painful task, as I am far from vegetarian

So crashing my twist would be a walk in the park compared to my experience
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:27 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,377 Posts
Get well my friend! Gout is out!
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:31 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
I see no advantage to getting older
I think the quote I seen was "Getting old is not for Sissys"
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:38 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,020 Posts
David bummer man kick that gout's butt hope you start feeling better soon,

Kerwin thanks the truck was ok it had a Volvo engine so it was the nicest smoothest shifting I've ever experienced anyway 10 speed with a splitter
It was a rental and the only thing they had when the company went to get it so I could haul our trailer which was why I ended up with a sleeper on the thing just to add to the turning radius lol anyway it was pretty smooth up to about 60 then had a slight shimmy and was governed for 74mph max so that always adds a little more time to the trip. But all in all it wasn't too bad and 96 people now have temperary beds and blankets so it was all worth it and they were very happy to receive it. I still felt bad as that isn't even a drop in the bucket for what most of those folks need down there, last weekend we saw boats all over the streets, a huge boat was parked in someones house in the middle of the street and cars that were all parked on the streets bumper to bumper were all pushed up perfectly with 1 tire on the curb looking like they all parked on the same angle on purpose so all those cars were filled with water enough to pick up the backs of the cars but the engines in the front had enough weight to kepp all the fronts of the cars on the road, and that's just the damage to vehicles, housing, neighborhoods and just normal life as they knew it is just devestated. Hopefully they'll get somewhat back to any kind of life soon.
In spite of all that most of them are in ok spirits and pretty nice about things so that was awesome to see. God bless them all.

On a lighter note the T40 and edge are assembled and waiting for daylight to soar into the 24 degree skys tomorrow morning
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:53 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Here is another Mothership video from today.

Mothership (9 min 22 sec)
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:29 AM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Nice catch there Waldo! You must fly the snot out of your planes to loosen screws like that......it never happened to me yet.

Wookster.......the problem I'm thinking you're failing to realize is just "downing" high proof for medicinal purposes is a waste of good booze........at least grab a snifter and kick back and enjoy it!!!! If you're killing a pint in seconds........I think that even a guy of your stature won't be feeling what's ailing you anyway!

I escaped work for the last 1-1/2 hours of daylight only to have some jackass 4-wheelers come destroy my tranquility! I get to my vehicle just as the sun is setting and there's fresh spin-outs all around my car........they were spraying my car with dirt from their tires! Jackasses!!! I'll be hunting deep in another swamp tomorrow.....no one will bug me there! Hunting is supposed to be relaxing! Not more encounters with jackasses!!! I need a pint!
I'm part german, part irish, and part Cherokee. I was born to drink. I dont down it in a couple seconds, but I dont sip it either. There are microbes to kill, and a bottle of rum is still less than a Co-Pay.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:49 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,137 Posts
I took the 48 edge and the 70 slick out today. It was great to have the motor run really well. We were flying off a flat graded lot owned by school trust land. It looked pretty smooth.

On the first flight I ran the slick out of gas and had an adventurous deadstick. It must have been hard enough to weaken the nylon bolts so when I landed on the second flight the landing gear popped off and I have some minor damage and a broken prop.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:22 AM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I took the 48 edge and the 70 slick out today. It was great to have the motor run really well. We were flying off a flat graded lot owned by school trust land. It looked pretty smooth.

On the first flight I ran the slick out of gas and had an adventurous deadstick. It must have been hard enough to weaken the nylon bolts so when I landed on the second flight the landing gear popped off and I have some minor damage and a broken prop.
That is why I won't use nylon bolts on my landing gear.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:22 AM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Here is one of those Aeroworks Pro X260 slabs with a DLE-20.

Aeroworks Pro X260 (2 min 13 sec)
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:23 AM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
And a Spitfire

Spitfire RC Plane (0 min 2 sec)
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:27 AM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,660 Posts
Wayne just love your wing and especially the name

Mother ship

Watched your vids and in one you mention problem with up elevator due to blow back
I have wing with problem in high speeds as elevator have problems with up pull out
Faster I go the weaker servos seem with elevator up

What is this blow back? How to fix it?
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:48 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
That is why I won't use nylon bolts on my landing gear.
Some times its better to loose a prop and some minor repairs because the nylon bolts broke then the metal bolts ripping the entire belly of the plane out. There is a balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
What is this blow back? How to fix it?
Blow back is when the servo stalls against the airflow, the torque just isnt enough, the higher the speed the worst. One, it will shorten the life of the servo and possibly make it fail in flight. 2nd it can run the amps up and in some cases cause a brown out of the RX if exceeding the amps or the BEC.

Higher Torque servos are needed.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:11 AM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Some times its better to loose a prop and some minor repairs because the nylon bolts broke then the metal bolts ripping the entire belly of the plane out. There is a balance.
I know the theory, I just don't believe it. I have seen a lot landing gear come off and damage planes on reasonable landings. Can't say I ever saw a situation that the nylon bolts broke and saved anything.

If Nylon bolts are such a great idea, why to manufacturers keep putting steel bolts on them?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:20 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
I know the theory, I just don't believe it. I have seen a lot landing gear come off and damage planes on reasonable landings. Can't say I ever saw a situation that the nylon bolts broke and saved anything.

If Nylon bolts are such a great idea, why to manufacturers keep putting steel bolts on them?
There are several that have put nylon on them, smaller stuff. I do know 2 of our members that have went to nylon on the Saber Profiles. I would think the manufactures would get nagged at either way so they stick with what they know. I think the shear testing would be very time consuming to get the right size and amount of nylon bolts that would only break just short of the chassis failing, as for it not to fail too easy.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:40 AM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
David - Nate's description is correct but, I don't think my wing is having blow back. The reason for the onboard cameras pointing a the elevons was to look for problems there. I did not see any issues in the videos.

I don't know a lot of the aerodynamics but my theory, after some more flights is that the airflow over the wing is delaminating removing the airflow from the elevons at high speed.

I have observed that when the wing gets to high speed, it starts to nose down. I believe this is from loosing lift as a result of the disrupted airflow. During this time, there is no up elevator control (or roll). I would expect the plane to stay on line if it was just blow back, or in this case, stalling the servos when I try to pull up elevator.

The wing and airfoil were originally designed for glider operation. It has a nearly flat bottom. I am thinking that there is too much arch in the top of the wing and at high speed, the air is just flowing past the elevons.

I plan to talk to the owner of Flying Foam about it. I also plan to do some more experiments to try and prove it. I have a 48" wing that flies at least 25% faster. The elevons on the Mothership are only about 20% more surface area. The servos on the Mothership are 100% more torque than I normally use on the 48" wing. That is the reason that I don't think it is blow back. The comment you heard no the video was before I saw the onboard video.

Another test I plan to try is too see if I can reach this same condition inverted and try down elevator. The flat bottom would not have the same problem. So far, I have only hit these high speeds upright and with the wing speeding toward the ground, I have not tried down elevator. I also plan to put an Eagle Tree on it. If the servos are stalling, I should see a significant increase in current. I need to test the Eagle Tree anyway.

I think I need a synchronized video between a ground shot and the onboard camera. I can then compare what I am doing with the sticks and what is happening on the elevons. If I can prove it is blow back, I will put some higher torque servos on.