Nope....you always use three.
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:50 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
I have the 7' flying wing covered.

Flying Foam's Mothership EP, Build Log Part 4 (0 min 0 sec)
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:59 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Nope....you always use three.
And that is polygamy...
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:11 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
I have the 7' flying wing covered.

That is a cool wing.... What servos are you running? I would think a wing that size with those large long surfaces would need at least 150 oz in stall torque?
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:10 AM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
That is a cool wing.... What servos are you running? I would think a wing that size with those large long surfaces would need at least 150 oz in stall torque?
They are 60 oz/in metal gear servos. BlueBird 380MAX. My 48" ws wing has 9G servos and they work fine. I may use CF push rods.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:55 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,435 Posts
Wayne, the wing is looking good. I've been following your progress with great interest. I have a few questions if I may.....Is there a reason why you brought the rounded corners of your batter/receiver pocket to a sharp point? Could the foam, that the wing is made out of, be cut with a hot wire? Do you think that performance would suffer by replacing the ply motor mount with one made out of aluminum? I too have used M77 in foam wing construction with good results and I would add that Beacon's Foam Tac, although messy to use, produces much stronger bonds.....either way abrading the lexan will increase the strength too. I thought you showed us a maiden of this plane........am I thinking of something else or do we get the thrill of seeing it happen soon? Thanks for your great videoing efforts.

I almost forgot......you might find this article interesting reading.....I have no opinion as I haven't used them. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886458
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:29 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
They are 60 oz/in metal gear servos. BlueBird 380MAX. My 48" ws wing has 9G servos and they work fine. I may use CF push rods.
I like CF Tubes over the wires and glued together, that is a long rod on that big wing. I guess if it doesnt reach any break neck speeds doing rolls those servos should hold. I was tossing around the thought with a wing span like this, 2 servos per aileron to share the load and spread the distance between horns, to avoid flex in the aileron.

How does that thing fit in a car?
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:39 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Well I was a bad bad boy yesterday.
The temps were in the 70's and the wind was out of the west, 12 gusting to 17.
The wind was alittle too much for flat foamie flying, but I did it anyway. I had just gotten the new esc from headsuprc and was anxouis about trying it.
I flew 2 batteries though it and took a break while recharging it.
After recharging I went out again.
I had been a bit disappointed at my flight times with these batteries and decided to try it getting 5 minutes out oif it. well she crashed after 3 minutes of flight stripping the rudder servo. Not to be put out of comission I straighten the rudder up and attempted another flight.
I should of just unplugged the rudder servo. but i didn't, and after 30 more seconds of flight the rudder kicked over to one side, causing her to go in.
She suffered a couple of tears in the fuse and is now down for repairs.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:54 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Well I was a bad bad boy yesterday.
The temps were in the 70's and the wind was out of the west, 12 gusting to 17.
The wind was alittle too much for flat foamie flying, but I did it anyway. I had just gotten the new esc from headsuprc and was anxouis about trying it.
I flew 2 batteries though it and took a break while recharging it.
After recharging I went out again.
I had been a bit disappointed at my flight times with these batteries and decided to try it getting 5 minutes out oif it. well she crashed after 3 minutes of flight stripping the rudder servo. Not to be put out of comission I straighten the rudder up and attempted another flight.
I should of just unplugged the rudder servo. but i didn't, and after 30 more seconds of flight the rudder kicked over to one side, causing her to go in.
She suffered a couple of tears in the fuse and is now down for repairs.

Kerwin, you are about as bull headed as well...a bull.
Hope you'll be able to repair her soon.
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Nov 02, 2012, 02:05 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
@Kerwin - I have a pickup and a trailer. I don't know how it fits in a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Wayne, the wing is looking good. I've been following your progress with great interest. I have a few questions if I may.....Is there a reason why you brought the rounded corners of your batter/receiver pocket to a sharp point? I made a lexan box and I can't make round corners on it.Could the foam, that the wing is made out of, be cut with a hot wire? EPP foam. The cores are hotwire cut. I don't have a hot wire tool but I have the routers so... Do you think that performance would suffer by replacing the ply motor mount with one made out of aluminum? Aluminum is fine but it was easier for me to work with ply. Trick RC has aluminum motor mounts and they are fine.I too have used M77 in foam wing construction with good results and I would add that Beacon's Foam Tac, although messy to use, produces much stronger bonds.....either way abrading the lexan will increase the strength too. The lexan box is really stuck in there. I almost was not able to get it all the way in the cutout. I thought you showed us a maiden of this plane........am I thinking of something else or do we get the thrill of seeing it happen soon? I have posted a number of wing vids. My 48" also has an orange color scheme. This one should go up in the next few weeks. Thanks for your great videoing efforts.

I almost forgot......you might find this article interesting reading.....I have no opinion as I haven't used them. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886458
I have been using 380MAX servos for about three years and never had a failure of any kind. I always use them when I need about 60oz/in in a small package. I know that catastrophic failures of equipment may occur but that does not always mean they are all bad. I did get some BB servos that were bad but they were not 380MAX. I ordered some small servos that had plastic gears. If you sent them a signal that made the turn a bit past the limits, it would strip the gears. They seemed OK if you avoided the limits on either end. I did not trust them so I have not used them. I did try replacing the gears also.

I see that guy had some problems. With metal gears, you can sometimes put too much stress on the servo and the gears will hold but it overheats the motors. I could get into that scenario with mine if Ron is right and I don't have enough torque or if I don't set them up correctly. I will measure the current from the BEC. This should give me an idea if the servos are under stress.

@Ron - I think 60oz/in should be OK. Wings pivot pretty easily and I don't think this is going to exceed a need for 60oz. A lot of guys, Waldo for example, fly the TT40 with standard torque servos. I think these elevons are smaller in surface area than the ones on my 48" wing which are 9G. I will watch the performance and can pump up the servos if necessary. I am trying to keep this light as well.
Last edited by waynemia; Nov 02, 2012 at 02:15 PM.