Snowy you sure got me. I thought is was her. LOL
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:05 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,996 Posts
Just got the PTE motor mounted back on the slick...

Can't wait to run it again.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:09 PM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,502 Posts
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:20 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
Saito FA-115
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Yep on the spinner nut.
Yep on the flipping the rubber around on the starter.
Nope, didn't actually think that was Snowman's daughter, that was the joke! Where is the typical sense of humor around here?
I hope to fly before the wind picks up in the morning.
Prime the engine by opening the throttle and putting your thumb over the carb, then rotate the prop a few time until you pull fuel into the carb. Attach the glow driver and flip the prop backwards with the throttle set at idle. Should start right up. wash, rinse, repeat
Some people don't have the idle set well on the 4 strokes and it can make them a little harder to cold start. You should not have a problem with a hot start if you follow a couple of steps. I usually don't have a problem with cold starts either.

1. Make sure the carb is at cut-off when you fuel the tank. This prevents flooding.

2. Prime by placing the thumb over the carb or muffler and turn the prop through about three times. Look at the fuel line if you can and make sure the fuel comes up then two more turns. Some installations take a couple of turns just to get fuel to the carb. Two turns after the fuel makes it to the carb should be fine.

Most people don't do the next step and that is take your thumb off and crank the prop three of four more times. This is to get the fuel/air mixture into the cylinder. This really makes a difference in getting the engine to pop.

3. I open the throttle to about 1/3. A lot of 4 strokes will run backwards if you don't add some throttle. In any case, be ready in case it runs backward. ALWAYS CHECK IT IMMEDIATELY. Bad things can happen.

4. Connect a hot glow starter and give it a back flip with a stick. I like to have the prop hit back pressure at the 2 o'clock position. Always seems easier to give it a good flip.

Back when I did u-control, I learned that if I turned the prop until I felt the "fire", I could start the engine every time. This sure saved my finger. No one told me about a chicken stick. I see people still flipping props with their fingers. The props are sometimes sharp and they sometimes kick. Looking at the cuts on the rubber of my chicken stick, I won't do them by hand. Occasionally I will hand prop a gasser but I normally use a stick on them too.

I really think the 4 strokes are the most dangerous for popping your fingers. They have so much power in the stroke, I have had an .82 knock the stick out of my hand.

And I don't know why a back flip seems to work better hand flipping than forward like a starter. Maybe the when the engine kicks and pushes the prop forward, it turns faster than you can hand flip it. I use the back flip on 2 stroke and 4 stroke engines.

Windy weekend here.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:42 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,901 Posts
I'm always confused so it doesn't take much still a good piano piece lol

I also always start the engines with the back flip even with the electric starter I run it counter clockwise
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:42 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,533 Posts
Wayne I didn't know you could do that on 4 strokes. I've done it alot on big glows like the ST 3000.
Well I didn't give my flight report tonight. It took me alittle while to wake up but I got to the graveyard around 6ish. Once again I worked on my knife edges. It seems like if I fly an 80 degree KE rather than a 90 I don't have the tuck to the canopy.
Inverted flight was good but when the nose dropped she seemed really pitch sensitive when I added elev. Probally me an she she may still be alittle tail heavy. I went thru 3 packs but the sun was getting really hazy an seeing the plane was diffucult. I really didn't want to bury another edge so I packed up for the day.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:48 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,308 Posts
Good call Kerwin! Live to fly another day! Besides, it sounds like you had a pretty good time!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:54 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
I'm always confused so it doesn't take much still a good piano piece lol

I also always start the engines with the back flip even with the electric starter I run it counter clockwise

You run your starter backwards or are you playing with us?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:56 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
I have days when I just have to be a spectator. That may be when I need to get the F/A 18E out.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:22 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,492 Posts
The T__T 60 video is finally done uploading! It is raw footage, and it was pretty windy, so there is a bit of wind noise, but most of the time the cool sound of the 4stroke Saito shines through!
Again, this is only my first attempt; I've got the 16x4W on there now. Thanks for the help with how to get the motor started without a spinner; I'm going to reverse the cone on my starter and start it that way; should work just fine! It may not be so windy tomorrow (early anyway), so I'll make attempt #2 to shoot a video.

Anyway, T___T aholics, enjoy!

Twist60-2012-10-20-b.MTS (9 min 13 sec)
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:35 AM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Too purdy to fly.
Ehh, get out there and maiden it. That will take care of that problem.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:58 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,308 Posts
Nice job Mike!!! Very respectable entry, especially on such a windy day! It's kinda dangerous, but you can fly low downwind just past yourself and put her in a wall, that way the plane is moving away from you in those strong winds, but you are looking at the canopy. You just have to remember to keep some speed on the approach because you are losing a lot of lift going downwind. Anyway, that was some good flying!! And thanks for being first at bat!!

Waldo, did you remember to shim your engine mount? Could it be engine incidence?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:02 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,308 Posts
14mph wind here now and rising to 25 by 1:00. I will try to get out to the field by 8:00 but I'm sure I will be alone.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:58 AM
The New and Improved:
United States, MO, Winston
Joined Jan 2011
853 Posts
Well the forcast for today here is 78o and 10-15mph winds. Oh that just sounds perfect. I'm not going to tell the other Kerwin that Im going to bring the Tango today. When I do, he leaves the Twist at home cause he knows the Tango is hungry to out flatspin the Twist. Im hoping that Kerwin50 leaves his shoe cam at home today! It makes people nervous when he walks up behind them on the flight line. I hope everyone has a safe and fun Sunday.
Kerwin49 is offline Find More Posts by Kerwin49
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:17 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,533 Posts
O no K49. just where did you get that pic of snowy an I?
O K49 K49 the twist is still under construction, BUT beware of the green machine my friend.
Also your gonna have to quit wearing those pink undies. It's hard on my cam.
I don't know about the wind. I use this web site http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/laun...=KMCI&state=MO
An while KC an st joe show a little difference chillicothe shows a lot larger difference