HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:17 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,045 Posts
Well Howdy Kids
Been a busy boy, we were doing a roof all weekend I just love roofing in the dark by flashlight and lighters LOL but hey We do what we have too, This guy was a huge help to me during my big garage project and was part of my roofing job when we were under dark, snow, sleet and freezing temps, tring to finish up a 43 x 32 foort 2 story garage in mid January, I got off very easy we just had to set 13 trusses in between a new giant addition already completed and an old part of the house and of course as soon as we ripped off the exsisting roof the rains came in LOL but shes all buttoned up now and minimal water got in over 2 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
I knew that comment would draw out the yankee fans...its just a game they're good at losing at.
No surprise......NY lost.

I moved aside some junk on the shelves and low and behold.....a O.S. .40 LA and a Super Tiger .40......both new in the box! I'm thinking combat??? I have to start warming up so that I can show y'all what rock-steady hovering looks like!
And the Yankees fans remain mute.......
Snowman Just like in the HOdown we ain't ascared And congrats on the new engines and hey any free engine can go on any plane and after its short life you just redrill the engine mounts for the OS
Yes I'd like to see some rock steady hovering besides myself that is
This Yankee fan is never mute just tied up occasionally I highly doubt were getting past the tigers, but one never knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
I like the dowel GG idea.
We need reports from Wookie's event and Waldo's FPV adventure!
I'll use wood and epoxy.
Yes Epoxy or JB Weld is the way to go where so much fuel will be involved
Good boy on the wood dowel and epoxy

My FPV report is in with vids
And yes we need Wooksters cub scout rally report

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
Wait! The T__T heauxdown isn't over yet, is it?
Nope It hasn't begun yet but I was out there draggin my tail on the ground Saturday practicing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Guys the main thing we need for this hoe down is lots of participation. we need to everyone to try. While I'l know I'm not going to win I'm going to have a good time trying.
I think your gonna take us all down Kerwin I just thought I'd speak confident for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
You're going down like a twinky at a pride parade!!!

Like a narc at a biker ralley!

Like a crack ho at an Acorn convention!
Now thats what I want to hear Bring it on chummily

DOG Glad you got the engines running and hope you figure out the noises,

Carl Goldberg Falcon is an awesome plane Maybe a Falcon Prop should go on it

Ok Here is my new FPV Pod test vid and the other Vid is my friend Teks FPV Flight he was getting low and far We didn't film the T_ _ _ T Flights as we don't want to scare anyone before the hodown show

The Waldo FPV Show (8 min 8 sec)

Dual View FPV Flight (10 min 44 sec)
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:26 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,853 Posts
Finally took the broken twist wing off the shelf, started cutting away scar tissue. Noticed the twist sticker right over the covering was peeling a little, so I peeled more, and almost the entire sticker came off in one piece. I stuck it to a piece of wax paper in case I somehow can unstick it and stick it back onto the plane when done. Also the red/blue trim strip that comes from the leading edge back, I was able to mostly pull right off the lower cream color monokote, so I should be able to tack that back on after I'm done also. It doesn't look like there is a "main spar" here, just four thin balsa strips, two on top, two on bottom on either side of full length sheer webs from root to tip. Right now the outer and inner wing on the right side is only held together by the trailing edge. I am going to need to make the front of one rib, and replace about an inch of missing leading edge and sheer web. The break is small enough I'm thinking I can just glue replacement spar strips to the new sheer web and epoxy those to the edges of the spars on either side. Maybe some carbon fiber strip reinforcement also.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:34 PM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,045 Posts
Seeingeye
Thats great And it sounds like just some Spar support is all you really need but CF would be fine too and you can just reheat those pin stripes with an iron and they'll stick right back on just clean the surface good with windex or something, the Stickers might heat back on also but I think they were more of a decal on the Version 2
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:22 AM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Nope It hasn't begun yet but I was out there draggin my tail on the ground Saturday practicing
Funny, that is what I was doing most of the day...................... Wait, did you mean flying ...................................... Crap!!!
NoMatta is offline Find More Posts by NoMatta
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:55 AM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,471 Posts
well guys the boy scout demo was bittersweet. the event was cancelled, the winds were 25+MPH. I still showed up though. Since the kids were still around the organizer asked if I would do some flying. The ol twist saved the day. I was sure she would be a casualty fromt the flight, but she did great. managed to fly her around and get some attention. Even managed a perfect three point landing in that gusty wind. It led to some good contacts and an opportunity to put on an indoor show this winter. All in all a great day for the conditions at hand. My relationship with this bird has been rough, but she showed her colors on saturday. impressed the right people too.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:55 AM
Joined Jan 2008
1,853 Posts
Well, now that I've peeled back the covering I've realized the damage is slightly worse than I thought (of course). Trying to decide if I can save the front of the ribs that are just missing parts or if I need to make whole new ones. There is one that is just cracked I can definitely fix easily but not sure I will be able to fix the missing pieces from two others.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:00 AM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,613 Posts
I would suggest making new pieces from the spar forward. Don't worry about making the holes in the ribs, make them solid. Use fairly soft 3/32 to keep the weight down. Go slow and methodically and you will do fine.
NoMatta is offline Find More Posts by NoMatta
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:07 AM
Joined Jan 2008
1,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMatta View Post
I would suggest making new pieces from the spar forward. Don't worry about making the holes in the ribs, make them solid. Use fairly soft 3/32 to keep the weight down. Go slow and methodically and you will do fine.
Good idea..
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:12 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,316 Posts
It is always a good idea to listen to Bob!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:34 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
@ seeingeyegod - I like to use trim solvent to put stripes back on. No heat involved that way. You just need to keep it smooth as you re-apply them.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:51 AM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,814 Posts
coll videos Waldo will have to watch the whole videos when I get back home

I found the hs 645mg not that strong of a servo, but centre well

got a ipod5 yesterday and find it really hard to type on that thing
so will not post useing the phone

big wind storm last night so time to go clean up and cut some trees and branches etc.

chainsaws are fun to run but not as fun a fuel plane

also took my rc car for a drive down the alley, well actually down about 1/4 km away down an alley fpv
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:37 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,431 Posts
Waldo, I thoroughly enjoyed both of those video! Thank you!
snowman is offline Find More Posts by snowman
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:50 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Well Howdy Kids
My FPV report is in with vids
Carl Goldberg Falcon is an awesome plane Maybe a Falcon Prop should go on it

Ok Here is my new FPV Pod test vid and the other Vid is my friend Teks FPV Flight he was getting low and far We didn't film the T_ _ _ T Flights as we don't want to scare anyone before the hodown show

Waldo that FPV test flight looked awesome! Nice flying by camera!
Did you have any problem with glow fuel getting on the camera lense? It looked like that engine was spraying a pretty good amount of residue all over the place.
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:54 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,316 Posts
Awesome job Waldo! Great flying and what a beautiful day you guys had! You two have a killer set up there and, as always, fantastic video editing and production!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:37 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMatta View Post
bob no you had it right about the dragging my tail lol and I
Couldn't have said that any better at all that's EXACTLY what you want to do snowdog 3/32 front end ribs and you can even glue them to the existing pieces you have but there is no need for the extra weight. So I'd cut the broken ones right out.

Thanks for the comments on the FPV stuff guys my friend Tek really knows his stuff and set me up great. He of course is a master production artist also

David any vid of the FPV car run?

Snowdog sometimes fuel sprays up on the lens but nothing drastic just a wipe down after the flight keeps it nice, I didn't wipe it down at all though as it was my first time with my own camera and I forgot lol but it was fine

Wookster that's awesome news about the scout gathering and never fear that t_ _ _ t on a windy day unil those winds are past 40 then its just a slightly harder challenge