Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:55 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,099 Posts
All these words from the seventies...."fatties", "pot", "gasser " ....I'm feeling a bit nostalgic!
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:00 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
All these words from the seventies...."fatties", "pot", "gasser " ....I'm feeling a bit nostalgic!
Me thinks you are reading much into this... Grass..maybe, Gasser... that is really hitting a dream scape.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:13 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
I use the fiberglass arm that comes with the DLE engines. It just screws on to the arm on the carb. I know some use the Hitec aluminum arm.

You did put a ball link on the throttle arm didn't you? I never have a rod the goes directly to the throttle arm, like a z-bend or something. All the wear should be just on the the ball link.
I had a carbon fiber arm... not sure where it came from because I didn't build that part of the plane originally. And yes, I have it set up with ball links on both ends. The wear is odd to me and I am not sure what caused it. It is where the arm connects to the throttle. For some reason it kind of reamed the opening out to where it no longer grips the throttle properly. It is more like putting a wrench that is too big on a nut but you can still turn it.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:19 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,170 Posts
Seems I have a little noise at TDC and BDC on this motor when turning the prop by hand... Might have got what I paid for. If nothing else, they are fairly simple motors, take it apart and make it better.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:06 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,946 Posts
DOG that engine sounds good and has great throttle response. I'll be excited to see a vid of it flying.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:19 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,170 Posts
More Donatas

"Arrow" VPP Donatas Pauzuolis (5 min 39 sec)
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:10 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Seems I have a little noise at TDC and BDC on this motor when turning the prop by hand... Might have got what I paid for. If nothing else, they are fairly simple motors, take it apart and make it better.

Scrape at the top, slap at the bottom? Are you thinking bearings? I would talk to Al Lewis for sure. He's run a lot of those engines.
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:30 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Scrape at the top, slap at the bottom? Are you thinking bearings? I would talk to Al Lewis for sure. He's run a lot of those engines.
Me thinks the Rod bearing <bushing> has play... Gonna have Doug look at it.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:21 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,305 Posts
Check the connecting rod at the piston while you're at it. It might just need to wear in a bit too, everything, not just the ring. I hope it's nothing serious. I think those are decent engines, at least from what I've heard.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:33 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Wayne are you interested or what???
Daaaaa, nope nope nope, daaaa not interested, nope.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:34 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,305 Posts
I'm thinking about filling in the extra holes in my engine rails with Gorilla glue. Any thoughts?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:38 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,170 Posts
Quote:
Check the connecting rod at the piston while you're at it. It might just need to wear in a bit too, everything, not just the ring. I hope it's nothing serious. I think those are decent engines, at least from what I've heard.
If I crack the case' everything will be new and improved. It runs to good to risk things coming apart.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:39 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,170 Posts
Quote:
I'm thinking about filling in the extra holes in my engine rails with Gorilla glue. Any thoughts?
Stick a dowel rod in with the GG glue
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:45 AM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
During the ground run break in, I dont mind little rich to keep cool, it will need dialed before the flight. Dont take me wrong, its not slobbery rich at all, just a tad rich.

After I shut it off, 190 was the highest spot I could find, 180 when running.
Make sure to clean the plug before you fly it then. You really should not run it rich though. Just run it less than 3500rpm on the ground runs and it should not over heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I had a carbon fiber arm... not sure where it came from because I didn't build that part of the plane originally. And yes, I have it set up with ball links on both ends. The wear is odd to me and I am not sure what caused it. It is where the arm connects to the throttle. For some reason it kind of reamed the opening out to where it no longer grips the throttle properly. It is more like putting a wrench that is too big on a nut but you can still turn it.
It was not installed tight and no locktite is my guess.

Quote:
I leave mine empty. If you have too many, I would use epoxy - JB Weld.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:51 AM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
It was windy Sunday morning when I went to the field. I setup a JR9303 on an Electrostik and test flew it. I flew the Pizza Box and FlipFlop then went home. Wind fell off to nothing in the afternoon so I got out the Slow Stick. I had replaced some parts on the tail so I had to set the elevator and rudder.

I have a new monitor/alarm that plugs in to the balance port. I intended to fly until the alarm came on (3.3V/cell). After 30 minutes, my shoulder was hurting and it was getting too dark to see well. The battery was still 3.8V/cell.

I have my Sky Cart motor changed. I may go see if I can get it off the ground today. I took off the 1050Kv motor and put a 1500Kv on it. I think that should do the trick.

Almost have another FireFly ready to go. I just need to put the push rods, receiver, and ESC on and touch up the paint some.

Three days in Toronto this week.