5,119 Posts
No surprise......NY lost.
snowman is offline Find More Posts by snowman
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:28 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,119 Posts
David22........how are those pics of your FPV stuff coming along?
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:59 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,305 Posts
Moved my engine forward about a half inch and finally got to the field, still tail heavy! Flew twice. I'll move her forward some more and try again.

Glad to hear your engine runs Ron !!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:54 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Yes Wayne, it is a gasser. Last night I went looking for a problem. I think there must be an air leak. It took FOREVER to get the motor primed and I think between the idle not wanting to settle down and not being able to prime the motor that there has to be a broken gasket or something. I took the motor off last night to start checking it out. I did find one problem. The throttle arm on the carb is bad. It is CF and has worn around the linkage to the point that there is a ton of play. It was not taking me to full throttle. So now I got to figure something out for that. I was hoping to fly it on Monday but my hope is diminishing. I guess I'll spend the time figuring out a throttle arm and making a new gasket set instead.

Wayne what have you used for a throttle arm? I found a bunch of options on Flying Giants.
http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=57549
I use the fiberglass arm that comes with the DLE engines. It just screws on to the arm on the carb. I know some use the Hitec aluminum arm.

You did put a ball link on the throttle arm didn't you? I never have a rod the goes directly to the throttle arm, like a z-bend or something. All the wear should be just on the the ball link.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,119 Posts
I moved aside some junk on the shelves and low and behold.....a O.S. .40 LA and a Super Tiger .40......both new in the box! I must have inherited those from Jack211 cause I would never buy either! lol. Now I need to find a couple of planes to put them on! I'm thinking combat???
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:03 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
I moved aside some junk on the shelves and low and behold.....a O.S. .40 LA and a Super Tiger .40......both new in the box! I must have inherited those from Jack211 cause I would never buy either! lol. Now I need to find a couple of planes to put them on! I'm thinking combat???
barter
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:08 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
I use the fiberglass arm that comes with the DLE engines. It just screws on to the arm on the carb. I know some use the Hitec aluminum arm.

You did put a ball link on the throttle arm didn't you? I never have a rod the goes directly to the throttle arm, like a z-bend or something. All the wear should be just on the the ball link.
I have ball links on the throttle and choke.... for that matter, I am doing ball links on everything anymore.

Here is some "Droid" video of todays tank of fuel being burnt, and no, its a short video and not the entire 11 minutes it ran.

There is some vid of the clunk basically able to get near every drop of fuel, it is amazing to me how it works, fluid tension, who knew?
Love the ethanol free gas, its a light yellow, if it gets on your hands it evaporates and leaves really no after smell.

32-1 Klotz Synthetic and real gas.
First Start 87 SHP (2 min 7 sec)
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Last edited by DaOldGuy; Oct 14, 2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
barter
Wayne are you interested or what???
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:17 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Wayne are you interested or what???
That Super Tiger 40 is a perfect motor for the Wild Tiger Plank like I have. I have the TT 36 Pro on mine.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:05 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
I have ball links on the throttle and choke.... for that matter, I am doing ball links on everything anymore.

Here is some "Droid" video of todays tank of fuel being burnt, and no, its a short video and not the entire 11 minutes it ran.

There is some vid of the clunk basically able to get near every drop of fuel, it is amazing to me how it works, fluid tension, who knew?
Love the ethanol free gas, its a light yellow, if it gets on your hands it evaporates and leaves no realy after smell.

32-1 Klotz Synthetic and real gas.

Cool Ron, congrats!
What motor do you have on that 87" SHP?
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:08 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
Cool Ron, congrats!
What motor do you have on that 87" SHP?
That is the RCGF55 <DLE Copy> and I have to say I have been concerned, I had bought it long before the SHP for another project... It made the back of my legs hurt... Didnt touch a screw, seems a little rich but I am good with that until I run a few tanks through and annoy the neighbor.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:19 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,522 Posts
Plus one on the ball links. For a gasser, it's the only way to go. Nate you may have to does the carb cleaner thing to find that air leak. They're may just be crud in the carb.
No flying today. I had my chance and missed it. It was really windy, so I went to my bro's.
I was trying to get his wireless router up an going and didn't notice the wind had laid at about 5:30 or so.
BTW while I was over there I ran across a M2600 Peavy amp. He told me it worked and even offered it to me. Of course he said he hadn't fired it up in years. I'm wondering if the dust got to the volume pots.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:41 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Plus one on the ball links. For a gasser, it's the only way to go. Nate you may have to does the carb cleaner thing to find that air leak. They're may just be crud in the carb.
No flying today. I had my chance and missed it. It was really windy, so I went to my bro's.
I was trying to get his wireless router up an going and didn't notice the wind had laid at about 5:30 or so.
BTW while I was over there I ran across a M2600 Peavy amp. He told me it worked and even offered it to me. Of course he said he hadn't fired it up in years. I'm wondering if the dust got to the volume pots.
That Amp would be dandy for some fatty passives. The pots on those things do tend to get gummed up and cause issues, you might have a nice piece there.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:42 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
That is the RCGF55 <DLE Copy> and I have to say I have been concerned, I had bought it long before the SHP for another project... It made the back of my legs hurt... Didnt touch a screw, seems a little rich but I am good with that until I run a few tanks through and annoy the neighbor.
Don't run it rich Ron. Tune it for max rpm. You can back off 100 or so but if you run it rich you'll build up a lot of carbon very quickly. No reason to run it rich.
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:47 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Don't run it rich Ron. Tune it for max rpm. You can back off 100 or so but if you run it rich you'll build up a lot of carbon very quickly. No reason to run it rich.
During the ground run break in, I dont mind little rich to keep cool, it will need dialed before the flight. Dont take me wrong, its not slobbery rich at all, just a tad rich.

After I shut it off, 190 was the highest spot I could find, 180 when running.