SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:42 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,908 Posts
Well building a set of cabinets can be pretty technical depending on what your trying to do but for a quick outdoor PA system to be able to talk to people and provide some background music is no more than making a couple of boxes and cutting out the holes for the size speakers you want to use and a rectangle on top for some type of horn, throw a little insulation in the back to absorb some boxy type sound bouncing around. But by the time your done with that it would have been just as inexpensive to go buy a used PA I'm sure just looking around some local music stores you could pick up a great used system for what you need for less than $400

I have a Futaba 72 system and 12 Rx's I'd have to replace but I need to upgrade very soon I've soldered the antenna on my box 3 times now, its almost 7 years old its been great and still works fantastic but it makes me wonder sometimes lol

S3004 thought, for the new fast servos you guys talk about I got to thinking maybe by me using Standard cheap slow servos is why I don't need to program any expo lol or is that a different feel lol
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:47 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Outta be able to find some older Peavy SP2s or something like that pretty cheap. .
Craigs List / Ebay is taking a beating from me, they all seem proud of the used good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Just buddy boxed a friend on my 48 edge. That was his first time flying a real plane..
Did you ever get payment from that one fella?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billd76 View Post
Get some Celestian 4 ohm 100 watt speakers. super clear and hold up very well. The good ones are the celestian black widows. Super good bang for the buck!! musicians friend sells them. Or some Bose indoor/outdoor speakers are good too.
Ah... New Brand Name to look for...Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
I hear you can sometimes get a good deal from guys selling out of their CAR trunks. I never know where they hang out.
I have no idea where they are.... They need to think advertising.

Quote:
Well the Sabre flys!!!
Sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
We built our own PA for the band once it was pretty simple and what a savings you might want to check Eibay and craigslist for some systems
I got over "build my own" when I figured out I dont know enough of the technical about them, to make a fair purchase.

Quote:
There is a lot of science in a really good enclosure - baffles, passive resonators, and stuff like that. I have a really complicated book on acoustics. It is way boring to me.
I am thinking you are the Complicated Book Library and those details are too much for me to build my own. I am going to pull the wife card on this one......... I quote her "I put gas in, turn the key, it goes" when those things dont happen, I am not learning why it dont work." 8)
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:48 PM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,536 Posts
I build speakers and use lots of house fibreglass insulation inside, and heavy board with glue and screws to hold together

I love really loud sound and systems that put out the sound

The speakers made in Israel seem to be the best I found so far

I never play loud music when a plane is in my car due to,rocks of gilbrater theory would break the plane apart as I drive

Quote:
There is a lot of science in a really good enclosure - baffles, passive resonators, and stuff like that. I have a really complicated book on acoustics. It is way boring to me.
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:53 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Well building a set of cabinets can be pretty technical depending on what your trying to do but for a quick outdoor PA system to be able to talk to people and provide some background music is no more than making a couple of boxes and cutting out the holes for the size speakers you want to use and a rectangle on top for some type of horn, throw a little insulation in the back to absorb some boxy type sound bouncing around. But by the time your done with that it would have been just as inexpensive to go buy a used PA I'm sure just looking around some local music stores you could pick up a great used system for what you need for less than $400

I have a Futaba 72 system and 12 Rx's I'd have to replace but I need to upgrade very soon I've soldered the antenna on my box 3 times now, its almost 7 years old its been great and still works fantastic but it makes me wonder sometimes lol

S3004 thought, for the new fast servos you guys talk about I got to thinking maybe by me using Standard cheap slow servos is why I don't need to program any expo lol or is that a different feel lol
The Great Waldo has solved the long standing problem... May I quote you on this? HAHAHAHA!

I have been giving 72 RX's away, I gave away my 9CHP 72 Module Dial a Crash synth.

Here is something for the great thinkers to ponder

When you use a Futaba 9C to program Dual Elevators using the Ailvator mix, its a bear to get the 2 halfs to synce and even then, one seems to lag a bit behind the other.

With my XPS module 2.4 in the same 9C radio, using the same mix settings, the 2 elevator halfs are SPOT on together.
Last edited by DaOldGuy; Oct 08, 2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:07 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
I read some about that Ron but I was not able to see the difference on my planes.

Since the RF modules process the channels and encode the transmission, it could be something there or perhaps at the receiver. Like I said, I have not seen it. I used a PCM receiver on my YAK and did not have a complaint with the ailevator function.

One person at our field Sunday was having some issues but he did his own mix for the second elevator servo. His problem is geometry of the linkages.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:43 PM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Wayne I used a dx7 today to buddy box with a dx5e. The equipment belongs to my brother. I used to have a dx7 but sold it to get the Aurora 9. I felt like a fish out of water programming the dx7 and then struggled with the different feel. All I could think about the whole time was how good it would be to be back on the A9.

I think the dx7 is a fine radio but it is definitely inferior in many ways to nicer radios. Here I am being snobbish again
Went from the 6 to the 8. sadly the only plane I had with all digital servos was the pawnee. Having super high resolution and speed on a crop duster......well, at least it flaps its feathers fast on the ground. The programming on the 8 is awesome, its the same as the new 7. I can setup whatever switch I want to do whatever. Right now I got the duster setup to do slow flap transitions. that fat bird needs it. Telemetry is the greatest single thing to come along. I had a fuel line pinch up in flight. Had no idea it had happened. All I knew is my control was beeping and vibing at me because the head was getting too hot. So I would throttle back and she would cool, throttle up and too hot again. Brought her in and fixed the kink in the line. no telemtry would have been a cooked motor. So far the DX8 has been worth every penny, Especially with my heli's.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:37 AM
United States, PA, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2009
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Craigs List / Ebay is taking a beating from me, they all seem proud of the used good stuff.

Did you ever get payment from that one fella?

Ah... New Brand Name to look for...Thanks!

I have no idea where they are.... They need to think advertising.

Sweet!

I got over "build my own" when I figured out I dont know enough of the technical about them, to make a fair purchase.

I am thinking you are the Complicated Book Library and those details are too much for me to build my own. I am going to pull the wife card on this one......... I quote her "I put gas in, turn the key, it goes" when those things dont happen, I am not learning why it dont work." 8)
Forgot about Behringer. Decent stuff and Cheap!!!

Behringer UB1202 / B210D PA Package (musicians friend)

$529.99 comes with everything you need.
billd76 is offline Find More Posts by billd76
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:15 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,263 Posts
Quote:
I read some about that Ron but I was not able to see the difference on my planes.

Since the RF modules process the channels and encode the transmission, it could be something there or perhaps at the receiver. Like I said, I have not seen it. I used a PCM receiver on my YAK and did not have a complaint with the ailevator function.

One person at our field Sunday was having some issues but he did his own mix for the second elevator servo. His problem is geometry of the linkages.
The guy here with the H9 Extra 260 has the same issue with his 9CAP and standard FM 72 RX, even with the Smart Fly board, one side is a tad behind the other. Like me, he used the mix right out of the 9C book.. I had that on the scary Edge and have just made copies of that model with I needed the twin Ele servos.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:38 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billd76 View Post
Forgot about Behringer. Decent stuff and Cheap!!!

Behringer UB1202 / B210D PA Package (musicians friend)

$529.99 comes with everything you need.
Oh Cool... this opened a new search on EBay! These are only 10s. The 12s are 599....
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:58 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,308 Posts
I had the ele problem on my 9C when I set up my yak a few years ago. The fix was to use a different channel, I think it was 5 instead of 8? I can't remember exactly, but it has been well documented and the info is out there.
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:12 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,263 Posts
Quote:
I had the ele problem on my 9C when I set up my yak a few years ago. The fix was to use a different channel, I think it was 5 instead of 8? I can't remember exactly, but it has been well documented and the info is out there.
Dual ailerons are 1,5,6 and elevator is 2 and 8. With the 72 FM the proportional channels may stop on the RX at 6. I know that with the XPS nanos, you can slave 7-12 and they are fully proportional.

Changing elevator from 8 to a below 6 channel may address what you are saying.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:14 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,533 Posts
Ron if you keep looking on craigslist, You will find it. And just because they are asking for a fist full of money doesn't mean thjey won't take alot less. My brother use to get alot of good deals from the soldiers in Killeen Texas. I think he gave a 100 bucks for his PA system a few years ago. He later sold it for 300.
Well It's off to work for me. I havn't worked much lately and boy I put on close to 20 lbs since my trip to the UP to visit snowy.
It looks like ole sandusky is getting sentenced today. He has really done some damage to people working in our youth programs. I now refuse to be alone with any young person, including giving them a ride to the flying field.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:16 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Dual ailerons are 1,5,6 and elevator is 2 and 8. With the 72 FM the proportional channels may stop on the RX at 6. I know that with the XPS nanos, you can slave 7-12 and they are fully proportional.

Changing elevator from 8 to a below 6 channel may address what you are saying.
BTW DOG I did experience that very same thing and changing the assignment and going to digtal servos really helped.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:52 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,263 Posts
Does anyone know of any plans around for the old Nitro Flying stop signs?
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:57 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,196 Posts
A Flying Stop Sign was featured in RCM magazine 33+ years ago in the March 1979 issue. Plan #PL-756.
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman