Joined Dec 2007
12,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Behringer is an off brand???
Its a lower line Yamaha or one of the other companies, dont remember which

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
DOG Well your on the right track then with the power amps and you don't need any JBLs or pioneer or anything like that for an announcers PA system You just want something with good Midrange to cut through the air is all
Definitely at least 100 -150 Watt Speakers though
At the FLI events they tend to crank music up, fly to the music. There was a 10,000 watt Sub brought and attached to our Rental Mackie Actives.. I have to say it was sweet, but more then we want cost of.

Quote:
DOG........couldn't you just make your own speakers with your talent in electronics? There's not much to it, really.

Another club member and I discussed that route, it seems its cheaper to look at the Off brands then to build out the Cabs our self <nice and weather resistant> and maybe upgrade / replace drivers as needed. So I am looking for the best of the cheap.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:39 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,276 Posts
Walmart PA
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:50 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,276 Posts
We have a Habitat for Humanity Restore in our little town.......and I've purchased stuff there you'd never believe, plus I've donated a lot of RC airplanes to the cause....the store was Jack211's baby and he didn't live long enough to see it realized and benefit HFH as well as this depressed community. If you have one near you.....give it a look.....I bought some microwave equipment that this ham operator donated awhile back...........the friend that I gave it to said he couldn't believe I got my hands on the equipment I did for the $50 I paid for it........he told me it was worth over $1,500, but I just think he was trying to make me feel good. (All I knew about it was a local university professor/ham operator donated it, that there was a commercial receiver horn, and a few microwave transducers, and few microwave amplifiers....for $50!) So maybe a PA system isn't out of the picture?? I'll look here for you....
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:03 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,321 Posts
Quote:
Walmart PA
You can go through Pleasant Gap PA on your way to Intercourse PA.
Oh, you mean a WalMart PA System? Didnt know they sold that stuff.

Quote:
We have a Habitat for Humanity Restore in our little town.......and I've purchased stuff there you'd never believe, plus I've donated a lot of RC airplanes to the cause....the store was Jack211's baby and he didn't live long enough to see it realized and benefit HFH as well as this depressed community. If you have one near you.....give it a look.....I bought some microwave equipment that this ham operator donated awhile back...........the friend that I gave it to said he couldn't believe I got my hands on the equipment I did for the $50 I paid for it........he told me it was worth over $1,500, but I just think he was trying to make me feel good. (All I knew about it was a local university professor/ham operator donated it, that there was a commercial receiver horn, and a few microwave transducers, and few microwave amplifiers....for $50!) So maybe a PA system isn't out of the picture?? I'll look here for you....
We have a Restore here too... they never have cool stuff. We are looking for more "DJ" quality stuff that is Hit the Low Thumps as well as be clear for everything else,
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:31 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,308 Posts
Outta be able to find some older Peavy SP2s or something like that pretty cheap. Check the area restaurant and bar supply places that deal in used equipment, also the tool rental places sometimes sell off stuff. It might be easier just to rent from them considering you only have a few events a year.
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:02 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,060 Posts
Just buddy boxed a friend on my 48 edge. That was his first time flying a real plane. He has had my realflight tx for the past 2 months. It looks like he has been using it. He did very well. I had him take off a couple of times and only had to save him from crashing maybe twice. Now I gotta buckle down for the next few hours and get rdy for my 5:30 pm class.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:14 PM
United States, PA, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2009
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Its a lower line Yamaha or one of the other companies, dont remember which

At the FLI events they tend to crank music up, fly to the music. There was a 10,000 watt Sub brought and attached to our Rental Mackie Actives.. I have to say it was sweet, but more then we want cost of.

Another club member and I discussed that route, it seems its cheaper to look at the Off brands then to build out the Cabs our self <nice and weather resistant> and maybe upgrade / replace drivers as needed. So I am looking for the best of the cheap.
Get some Celestian 4 ohm 100 watt speakers. super clear and hold up very well. The good ones are the celestian black widows. Super good bang for the buck!! musicians friend sells them. Or some Bose indoor/outdoor speakers are good too.
billd76 is offline Find More Posts by billd76
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:55 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Wayne how effecient is that motor. Some motors are really horrible on their effecience.
For instant a 1000 KV motor at 10 volts should turn 10K but if it is 80% effcient then it would only turn 8K at 10 volts.
Great video wayne
It is just not enough Kv for the job. I have 1600kv on the other toys, same motor, and they are fine. These are Park300 motors and the 1350 and 1600 planes are ok. Trim 300 to 600kv and you are talking a significant decrease. I will save it for a different application.

Quote:
DOG........couldn't you just make your own speakers with your talent in electronics? There's not much to it, really.

I have had people tell me the same thing. The problem is the cabinet and I am not a cabinet maker. I could get plans and all that but the job is far from done on speakers when the electronics are complete.

I use Polk speakers at home. I think they are great and have a JVC sub. Nothing outdoors.

I hear you can sometimes get a good deal from guys selling out of their CAR trunks. I never know where they hang out.

I helped fit a Kadet Senior cowl today. Looks good with Saito .82 heads sticking up. Put some Yosemite Sam decals on too.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:05 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,308 Posts
Well the Sabre flys!!! It turned out to be a beautiful afternoon, clear, 65*, 5 mph wind, so I couldn't help myself! The only problem is she's too tail heavy. I mounted the engine a little further back on this one and I went too far. Easy fix. Ran two tanks out and the club safety officer was there. He didn't mind my flying style at all, which was a relief!!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:09 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Just got a message that they will give me two free receivers if i buy a DX7.

I don't think they could give me enough receivers to get me to buy one.

I might take one if it was free, maybe.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:20 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,961 Posts
Plow awesome news on the Maiden

We built our own PA for the band once it was pretty simple and what a savings you might want to check Eibay and craigslist for some systems

Wayne cool on the new kadet cowl with sam stickers ;D

Nate that's excellent about your friend great job

Emmmm bake bacon until dark brown,let dry until crispy, bring chocolate up tp 102 degrees mix until room temp, coat bacon, HOLY wAzoooo
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:30 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,060 Posts
Wayne I used a dx7 today to buddy box with a dx5e. The equipment belongs to my brother. I used to have a dx7 but sold it to get the Aurora 9. I felt like a fish out of water programming the dx7 and then struggled with the different feel. All I could think about the whole time was how good it would be to be back on the A9.

I think the dx7 is a fine radio but it is definitely inferior in many ways to nicer radios. Here I am being snobbish again
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:43 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
I almost got an 18MZ until I figured out how many planes I could fly with what it cost.

I have a DX5e to use as a buddy box. I would sell it if I could.

I have two pretty good 72Mhz systems, a Futaba and a JR, I would sell if I could.

I have about 4 four channel tx/rx pairs I would sell if I could...
Last edited by waynemia; Oct 08, 2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,276 Posts
Being a cabinet maker I've built many a speaker enclosure......battle-proofed some of them too. I haven't put together the electronics of a speaker for about 20 years, but I don't reckon much has changed.....but I hear ya......a guy can only do so much! Buy the damn things.....cheap.!
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:40 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Being a cabinet maker I've built many a speaker enclosure......battle-proofed some of them too. I haven't put together the electronics of a speaker for about 20 years, but I don't reckon much has changed.....but I hear ya......a guy can only do so much! Buy the damn things.....cheap.!
There is a lot of science in a really good enclosure - baffles, passive resonators, and stuff like that. I have a really complicated book on acoustics. It is way boring to me.