Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:15 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,827 Posts
That sounds great Alan! You know you are more likely to die in a train than a plane
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:30 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
That sounds great Alan! You know you are more likely to die in a train than a plane
Whew! That's a relief! I never take the train!
I'm at the hangar now, wish me luck!! Maybe he'll let me take the stick!!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:13 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
11,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Did I get that right? David22 is going to put a gas engine on an EasyStar II ??? And you have advance knowledge of a "secret release"? Wow, my finger has really fallen off the pulse of this thread..........and rc'ing in general!!!!
Well... they were all whispering when I over heard it... must be a secret.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:16 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,303 Posts
Well I made it!! We flew one hour and three minutes and I'll bet he let me fly 55 min of that!! He has a Cherokee 150 with a 180 hp lycoming engine. What a blast! We did a few parabolas, and I was glad I only had a turkey sandwich for lunch!! Can't wait till he invites me again!
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:28 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,303 Posts
Correction, Cherokee 180, 1968 model.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:58 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
So my friend from our club ordered a 71" slick from 3DHS and he gets it a few days ago. Box was a bit crushed and he finds out his canopy is cracked and the turtle deck is a bit pushed down in one spot. Also, the carbon fiber support from under the turtle deck came off and was laying in the bottom of the plane. Soooooo...he contacts 3DHS and they say send pics, which he does.

Their response was, we can send you a red canopy (his plane is orange) or you can fix it yourself. They also said he should fix the turtle deck himself and glue the support in. Now of course that can be done (except the canopy NEEDS to be replaced) but I am VERY surprised by the way they handled this. Not typical of 3DHS and I hope not a sign of things to come.....
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:14 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
So my friend from our club ordered a 71" slick from 3DHS and he gets it a few days ago. Box was a bit crushed and he finds out his canopy is cracked and the turtle deck is a bit pushed down in one spot. Also, the carbon fiber support from under the turtle deck came off and was laying in the bottom of the plane. Soooooo...he contacts 3DHS and they say send pics, which he does.

Their response was, we can send you a red canopy (his plane is orange) or you can fix it yourself. They also said he should fix the turtle deck himself and glue the support in. Now of course that can be done (except the canopy NEEDS to be replaced) but I am VERY surprised by the way they handled this. Not typical of 3DHS and I hope not a sign of things to come.....
There is an entire thread on FG about their customer support.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:46 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post

here's how it went down... the damage appeared to be more than the canopy, so when Noll was talking about replacements, there are only red Slick left to replace that plane with. Specifically about the canopy, there was this response from 3DHS in email...

Quote:
"From your picture, it appeared the fuselage was damaged.  Is the canopy hatch the only piece damaged?  If so, we can send a replacement.  Sorry for the confusion."
...because indeed orange canopies were in stock, and a replacement could be shipped in orange.

Now the part that was about fixing the damage himself was only because there are no orange Slicks to replace it with. If he would be happy with a red Slick, replacement would be sent, that wouldn't be a problem. There was this reply from 3DHS in email...

Quote:
"The problems with the fuse look to be minor and may be fixed with some CA and a covering iron for the turtle deck.  We can certainly send you a replacement canopy hatch.  Let us know if you would like to go with this solution.

Unfortunately, we cannot replace the whole kit as we do not have the orange in stock.  We can get you a red scheme.  The orange schemes will not be back in stock for quite some time.

Please advise what you would like us to do."

Anyways, this is how it all went down. The above being key parts of an 8 email exchange over the last three days. Sorry that the above has been seen as bad customer service, but there's only so much that can be done, 3DHS is offering all it can to resolve the problem...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Last edited by theKM; Sep 27, 2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:16 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Whew! That's a relief! I never take the train!
I'm at the hangar now, wish me luck!! Maybe he'll let me take the stick!!
They don't have sticks anymore Alan. I guess you were surprised.
=========
I have not had consistent response from 3DHS by email. I also think it is pretty cheap of them not to include a manual. Their planes are not the cheapest on the market and a manual is not too much to ask in my opinion. Not everyone has access to a printer, let alone a color one. Just my two cents.
=========
I had a first today. A member took a smashed plane and rebuilt it. He also did some significant modifications. He has had it out for a test flight several times but something is always wrong. The latest was the problems with the Royal engine.

Today, he had it out with the 40FP I loaned him mounted. I managed to get into the air but it was wild. I had to put full up elevator and it still dove to the ground without a lot of up elevator. I also had to put a lot of left aileron and some left rudder.

I did get a nice landing in. The lateral balance was off some. Seems when the plane was rebuilt, the h-stab wound up with a bit of positive incidence. I threw some weight on the tail to try and compensate by making the tail heavy. Another modification was the conversion from a rubberband wing to a bolt-on.

It took three tries to get it in the air the second time. I had to have so much ground speed to overcome the nose heavy feel of the h-stab. I was able to get some control and was still trimming when the wing came off. That was a first for me. The guy was kind of relieved that he does not have to mess with the plane anymore.

He covered in black so I started to call it the black snake because it kept biting him. Anyway, it is history. I told he could at least say it flew. Many at the field never thought it would.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Last edited by waynemia; Sep 27, 2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:20 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
David -> my easy star came at about 5:30pm. You are right, they have started doing the injections from the bottom only. I think the rudder is the same as the old ones. I will probably enlarge it. I always cover them in chrome, kinda my signature.

I will study the assembly tonight. I thought it came with a motor like the old ones but not so. I will have to check on a motor for it. I may have one already.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:51 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
4,856 Posts
Unedited for your viewing pleasure.......notice that the previously unused soccer field is being marked by those three terrible men who plan on using the soccer field as a soccer field! Damn!
http://youtu.be/73_pYhJvT9E
snowman is offline Find More Posts by snowman
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:57 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
Wayne got my Ezstar 2 today

Bought servos motor esc and some carbon rod

Going with 1400 kv himax motor and stock folding prop.

And stock motor mount
You are planning to use an inrunner?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:45 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,303 Posts
Thanks for the vid snowman. Who was the camera woman? She didn't complain once!!!

Wayne, yes I figured out the stick thing! Lol

It sounds like 3DHS is on top of this one.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:20 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
4,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Thanks for the vid snowman. Who was the camera woman? She didn't complain once!!!

Mrs. SNOWMAN.....a real trooper to put up with Mr!
snowman is offline Find More Posts by snowman
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:36 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
here's how it went down... the damage appeared to be more than the canopy, so when Noll was talking about replacements, there are only red Slick left to replace that plane with. Specifically about the canopy, there was this response from 3DHS in email...

...because indeed orange canopies were in stock, and a replacement could be shipped in orange.

Now the part that was about fixing the damage himself was only because there are no orange Slicks to replace it with. If he would be happy with a red Slick, replacement would be sent, that wouldn't be a problem. There was this reply from 3DHS in email...

Anyways, this is how it all went down. The above being key parts of an 8 email exchange over the last three days. Sorry that the above has been seen as bad customer service, but there's only so much that can be done, 3DHS is offering all it can to resolve the problem...
Thank you for your response. I know from my experience with 3DHS I have recieved very good service. Just a year ago I recieved a plane with two left wings. Inside of just a few days I had a right wing. I myself have had no problems with 3DHS service.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50