HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:40 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,308 Posts
OMG!! There's going to be a shortage of bacon?!!!!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:00 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,183 Posts
Flight report for yesterday evening: The wind and rain finally stopped and I grabbed the Yard Stik and the Tiger Moth and headed for the soccer field. I strapped the batter into the YS and took off with the keychain cam taped to the battery's side. Did I mention that it was below 40 degrees? Well, within minutes of taking of I noticed the battery dangling from the ESC! That's about eight inches worth of wire between the ESC and the battery......and it's dangling when I went inverted!!!! I quickly brought her to a rushed landing.......bending the landing gear wire upon touchdown. I walked out to her and instantly noticed that camera was gone!!!! I thought I saw something fall off, but she was so high and the sky was darkening with clouds. The cause of this disaster? The glue on the Velcro got too cold and lost it's ability to grip the fabric ribbon I had glued it to. I checked it before takeoff too, but it had to have been the cold. (My wife has since sewed the Velcro onto the ribbon and that problem won't happen again!) I grabbed the TM and and few her around the field with her antenna dragging the ground.....too slow to believe. The sun disappeared too quickly and I was only able to get two packs through her before it was too dark to tell if she was coming or going. The good news is I ordered another cam and it should be here any day.

I've been thinking seriously about the FPV route too, and there's so much to choose from.......I'd appreciate any sure fire advice on FPV equipment you folks have had experience with.
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:01 AM
Joined Jan 2005
5,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Waldo has been talking about fpv ever since I started posting in this thread.
Thanks Waldo....I didn't know you changed your forum name!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:07 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,903 Posts
Snowman LOL I've been doing FPV with our friend Tek for a couple years now but he just has a pod he made that he can strap on any plane so once in while he straps it on my plane he had a bunch of FPV stuff laying around so I finally asked him to put together something for me so I Bought that last Saturday just the camera and The Tx for the camera I still need a battery and an actual screen for viewing along with an Rx and ground antenna but he has that stuff so I can be at least using it while I slowly collect pieces to be totaly independant one day. At the field we have an FPV box and antenna mounted on the wind sock pole with a few hook ups so we can all plug in at the same time but we can only fly one FPV model at a time and that stuff just stays right at the field. I have a TV in the van we've used in the past but the screen could get rolly sometimes like the vert hold problem back in early TV days LOL we haven't tried it yet with the new antenna system so maybe it would be better which would be way cool. theres nothing like flying RC from the bucket seat of the big van with the heat on and a nice cup O' Jo in the cup holder next to you on a cold winter day
Waldopepperaxe is online now Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:15 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,903 Posts
Man you guys slipped all those in there as I was writing the last thing LOL I guess I really am a blow hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Why would you say something like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Flight report for yesterday evening: The cause of this disaster? The glue on the Velcro got too cold and lost it's ability to grip the fabric ribbon I had glued it to. I've been thinking seriously about the FPV route too, and there's so much to choose from.......I'd appreciate any sure fire advice on FPV equipment you folks have had experience with.
Thanks Waldo....I didn't know you changed your forum name!
Snowman Sorry for the loss and bent landing gear I said to use rubber bands on the camera the velcro thing has let go to many times on me to trust it anymore, But I was using it on my Foam planes when i had a couple so maybe rubber bands wouldn't as well without crushing the foam.

Changed what forum name LOL
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:16 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,903 Posts
Oh And I don't know a thing about good or bad FPV eqquipment yet so I'll ask my buddy to send me some links and I'm sure David has this info at the tip of his tongue
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:31 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,000 Posts
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:33 AM
Pawnee, OK
Joined Jun 2008
220 Posts
Quote:
Buckskin........how long have you had those aircraft? I don't recognize them. Is your new ride a 4x4?

I've had them for a couple of years, just haven't flown them much, The red and white one is a Great Planes Escapade with a Saito 82. The silver one is a Kyosho Cap 232 with a OS 91 four stroke, I got it used from one of the guys that taught me to fly. I haven't flown it yet, still don't trust myself yet.

And yes the the ride is a 4x4, 1983 Jeep Cherokee. I should be able to haul airplanes anywhere I want to go... lol
buckskin is offline Find More Posts by buckskin
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:55 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
I read the report..... We are doomed!
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:09 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,000 Posts
wow we are getting ads from grocery store items and auto sales now...
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:13 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,183 Posts
Buckskin........I've been looking to score just such a vehicle.......4x4's are hard to come by in snow country. You're a 4 stroke fan I see...I must be a premature rc'er I get off on 2 strokes! They sure do sound great...plenty of torque too!

I heard on the news that they're expecting increases as high as 65% next year....time to start makin' bacon!

Waldo, any info you can get the better it is for all of us.......thanks!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:19 PM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,903 Posts
I might just have my friend pop in and list his knowledge
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:18 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,308 Posts
This is a link to a thread started by a friend of mine back in WA as he started down the FPV path a couple of years ago. He's a very avid builder and he's very tech savy. You will find our old friend Balsabuster there as well. I know these guys will answer any questions.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1292740
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:21 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,533 Posts
Snowy are you sure your just not flying that battery too far into low voltage. I'd use your Triton to check those batteries capicity. I usually don't notice to much capicity loss until It really gets cold. Where I get my loss is leaving my lipos setting fully charged in a stored condition or running them down way too low or last but not least super cheap batteries.
Believe it or not the best batteries I've found for the money has been my Rhino's. Going on 4 years now. Some of my outher batteries have shot the craps and their not near as old.
Well it's a rainy cloudy day today and I've been sleeping in. I was up till 5:30 this morning.
My wife and I waxed the truck stop last night and I just could unwind afterwards.
I smoked my homemade computer power supply trying to rejuvnated a lipo I got from value hobby. It came with a bad cell but I didn't know it till I got my new edge. By then I don't think they are going to warranty it.
Guys I may just have to buy me a couple of pigs, maybe a few chickens and a calf. I need to get out of the city where I can raise my own food.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:43 PM
Pawnee, OK
Joined Jun 2008
220 Posts
Quote:
Buckskin........I've been looking to score just such a vehicle.......4x4's are hard to come by in snow country. You're a 4 stroke fan I see...I must be a premature rc'er I get off on 2 strokes! They sure do sound great...plenty of torque too!

I got lucky on the Jeep. A 19 year old guy couldn't afford to keep driving it 35 miles 1 way to work. So he bought a newer pickup, then couldn't afford the insurance on both. I had been kind of looking for one of these for a long time. There are quite a few 4x4's around here usually, but they are almost always a little out of my price range.

These are my first 2 4 strokes, everything else I have is 2 stroke. I've tried a few electrics with very limited success. I do love the sound of the 4 strokes though, the 82 was bought for a Bf 109 that I still need to finish.
buckskin is offline Find More Posts by buckskin