Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:44 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Went to KFC to get a bucket of grilled chicken, after I ordered I realized I forgot my wallet!! I had to call my wife to bring me some money. Then I was going to pull into a spot to wait for her and I backed into a guy who was just coming around after placing his order!! No damage to his car but I now have to bolt indentations in my plastic bumper. Now I suppose the Saints will lose!! If that happens I refuse to maiden my new Sabre today!! All I have left to do is install the engine and tank and she's ready to go.
What do you guys think? Wait for another day?
Consult the Magic 8 Ball.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:43 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
4,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
KFC... Really.... They still make chicken?
That's the problem......they "make" chicken!

Plow, I'd wait for another day, but that just me!

Wayne, sounds like you had a great time......I'm fascinated by your setup on the Senior! It should have no problem in high winds? Any signs of flutter in the control surfaces or wings? Thanks for the report!
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:16 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,303 Posts
Saints lose in overtime Then I realize that I must have dropped the little washer that goes behind the prop hub somewhere in the garage when I took the engine off to clean it. Of course, my wife has swept the garage since then!!
I might fly the Twist before I fly this thing! Maybe next weekend. The fates were conspiring against me! And to think, my wife actually wanted to go watch! Oh well! Live to fly another day!
I hope everyone had a good weekend. I did despite this nonsense today.

Good report Wayne!!

Can't wait to hear all the others!!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:44 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Snow - no flutter but I don't fly it really fast either. The ailerons are really thick, built-up pieces too, not just a piece of balsa. The wings are supposed to be two piece but mine are epoxied together. I have not seen anything move.

Designed for a .61 four stroke, it is way over powered with the FA-100. I can take off at 1/4 throttle. Full throttle will torque toll it on take off.

It has a ton of lift so it can be a little floaty. I have flaperons enabled but two of us tried adding flaps this weekend and neither of us like using them, it just does not need the additional lift. I have flown on windy days and it is fine. You can get in trouble with side gusts which can tip a wing. I have mine setup so I can use spoilerons - raise both ailerons to cut down on the lift. I have not tried that for a while but I might experiment next time out. It should let it come in a little hotter. If it is really windy, I just don't taxi a lot. That is usually when I have problems with it and other lightly loaded planes.

I can land the Kadet sideways on our field. If we have a lot of crosswind, I just turn into the wind and land anyway. If I had brakes, I could do some STOL stuff.

Everyone was flying today so no video. Sorry.

My wife made cornbread last night for church today. She put habaneros in it. It is a little too hot for me.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Last edited by waynemia; Sep 23, 2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:09 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,497 Posts
Cornbread and you didn't invite us to church.
Plow it was the chicken that started it all.
Flight report later.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:19 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,038 Posts
Anyone ever have to replace the Robart style pin hinges?

I always feared dealing with that until I seen the soldering iron trick at a picnic the other night.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:36 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,497 Posts
I did. I tried the iron but it made my holes too big so I just followed waynes advice and redrilled them.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:36 PM
USA, AR, Austin
Joined Jun 2009
326 Posts
Hello everyone , When to the field yesterday and no one else was there so I flew by my self for a while. I flew the 150 T---t , just got it rebuilt. When after about two hours or so I decided to mow the grass . Around 3PM a new club member and his daughter came out and flew until dark. He has a 50cc Ultimate,MXS-R 30cc and a 47% YAK. He is teaching his daughter to fly. I'll tell you guys that I watched one of the best flyers that I have seen. He really puts on a show.

I had a dead stick and did not make it back to the runway and snapped the tail off of the T---t, so had to repair it AGAIN, and broke the prop. I am beginning to wander how many times a plane can be rebuilt.

I got my profile out and was doing flat spins and flew a flat spin all the way to the ground and cracked the wing loose from the fuselage, repaired it today.
tower flyer is offline Find More Posts by tower flyer
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:47 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,303 Posts
Way to go Tower!! Keep tearing them up and repairing them!! You'll be a better flyer and a better builder too!!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:48 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,497 Posts
Tower sounds like you had a good day despite the broken twist.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:00 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
I did. I tried the iron but it made my holes too big so I just followed waynes advice and redrilled them.
He used the solder iron and then had to do a final drill to get the depth, worked very sweet. I guess the size of the iron could cause issues.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:25 PM
certifiably twisted
Damascus,Ar.
Joined Jan 2010
229 Posts
3dwingnut is offline Find More Posts by 3dwingnut
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:36 PM
Montana Transplant
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 Posts
With great sadness and bewilderment we inform our customers and friends of the sudden and tragic loss of our chief flight instructor and beloved friend, Charlie Yates.
Shortly after takeoff, around 1:22 PM on Saturday, September 22, a Piper PA-28 Cherokee aircraft with pilot Christopher Pratt and instructor Charlie Yates on board crashed into the woods just south of the departure end of runway 17 at Northwest Regional Airport. While Christopher Pratt, died at the scene, Charlie Yates was flown via helicopter to John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth, where he died due to the severe injuries sustained in the crash.
Charlie was an encourager and mentor to many and a passionate witness for Christ. It was a blessing and privilege to have Charlie as a member of the Marcair family. His joyful temperament and his love for people will be greatly missed. We share the pain with the families of Charlie Yates and Christopher Pratt.
We invite all the aviators who have been touched by Charlie's life in any way to a short memorial in his honor. There will be an opportunity to remember him, give a short testimony, and pray for his family. We will meet on Tuesday, September 25, at 10:00 AM in the Marcair hangar.

Marc Barth
and the Marcair family
mt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by mt_flyer
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:48 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,497 Posts
O guys it was a twisted twisted day and yeah luck was on my side but more on that later.
It all started when my brother called wanting to fly. So I got the gang together, Curtis,K49,Jim west and of course my bub.
Jim brought his Herr cub and H-9 PTS mustang, while bub just brought his art tec yak. That was the 30 dollar plane I bought 3 years ago at a swap meet. K49 brought his Funtana,mustang and revolver. And Curtis brought his tower trainer and his 2 scaled up and down apperentince. one with a 90 st and the other a park 450. me I brought the green machine,little edge, little mx and the Tigermoth 400.
The temp was in the mid 60's but the wind was just crazy. One minute it was blowning from the south and the next the north. Then west and then east, at about 5 mph.This went on all atfernoon till the evening when the wind laid.
I warmed up on the green machine, Then moved on to the tigermoth 400. It had a bad connection and at 1st my brother tried flying it and crashed it. No damage so I gave it a try.
This time it was a big crash. lost power and just nosed in. Curt took his tower trainer up and it was on the wrong model. K49 came to the rescue and got her down. Jim warmed up on his little cub while K49 videoed him. Then I took the Green machine back up and Jim videoed it. Boy I put her through her paces. I did this one tumble that went into a inverted flat spin that just hung there.
K49 got his funtana up and put her through her paces and after that my brother flew his yak.
I also wrung out the little edge then handed it over to my brother. O he enjoyed flying it. I then put the Green machine back up and turned her over to him. He flew her for about 5 minutes then she just died. I took control and landed her. She would not start to no avail.
We flew the little edge some more and I tried to flatspin K49's funtana I managed to get it to spin a few times but the nose would really hang down on it. Another couple of times she snapped out of it. I'm thinking she may be nose heavy.
As the evening wore on I brought out the little MX. Now the esc gave me fits but I did manage to get it flying. I turned her over to my brother and boy it was such a joy watching him fly her. He has really progressed. We flew till sundown.
Now after I got home I found out just how lucky I was. You see my fire wall had came loose on the green machine and it just so happened the pulse wire on the ign had rubbed into. had it not I'm sure I may have lost the engine in flight. O it was a twisted day for sure.
I'm hoping to post the video as soon as Jim gets it to me.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:51 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,497 Posts
O Daniel I'm sorry to hear that. My sympathy to the family. Was he a good friend to you?