HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:20 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Well I had the worst flying day ever. It all started out just bad.
A guy I gave 40 dollars to to pick up puppy food skied off to Witcha without picking up the puppy food he promised.
The afterr getting to the field K40 was flying and had his LT 40 there training a guy.
This 10yro boy came up and was asking lots of questions So I asked K49 if he would put the boy on the buddy box. K49 said sure. So while the pane was in the air I plug the buddy box and cord into the tx K49 was using. He then holler I have no control. I looked at the plane asit past by inverted. I still had the buddy box in my hand and I tried to right it by pushing fuul down elev and right aileron hoping I had control of it.
No such luck. She went in hard and fast at WOT. Exploding as she hit the ground.
K49 and I looked at each other and then K49 noticed I had plugged the buddy box cord plugged in backwards. The master end was plugged into the buddy box.
I really felt bad and offered to pay for the plane, but K49 refused.
I felt so that I I just couldn't finish flying anymore.
So I packed up an came home.
Only to get a ph call from my helper giving me some lame excuse about why my puppies had to eat adult dog food instead of puppy food like I had asked.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:00 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
No video? Never happened!
Oh... there is video..... I hope it doesnt find its way to Youtube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Why DOG Does that mean yours went in
I think the term in "went out". I sent you all an email or the incident.....
Could have been a wing tube failure in flight.... May be a structural failure in the pre tail section.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:14 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post

I think the term in "went out". I sent you all an email or the incident.....
Could have been a wing tube failure in flight.... May be a structural failure in the pre tail section.
HAD to be ground to air missile.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:29 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
HAD to be ground to air missile.
We had some really bad weather at times during the event. Since the past owner of this plane used alum condit for a wing tube, we are thinking it was a lightning strike in air.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:38 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,381 Posts
I loved that video Waldo! Put a huge smile on my face seeing you fly that plane in a stiff breeze like that! Without a doubt you guys were having a blast!

DOG........you have to show us the video!

My hunting partner gave up cause we just weren't seeing the geese..........so I go flying this morning instead.....at the unused soccer field that when I get there is filled with geese!!!! I launch and scare them away and fly everything I got. I come home to take a nap and after supper go out again to find the geese have returned!!!! I scare them off again and fly two batteries when this guy shows up on a bike followed by three kids. (One of whom Kerwin promised I would teach to fly!) Anyway they lost interest but the man remained and chewed my arm off for over an hour. After he left wave after wave of geese flew over on their way to Calumet Dam....to rest for the night........I flew up to one V-shaped flock and "wrangled" one of them away from the rest......I was able to turn that goose 180 degrees before I stopped hassling her....besides...that's all I need is a write-up about some terrible rc airplane hobbyist harassing waterfowl in the sky above Calumet! I'm still amazed with the Yard Stik........sorry, it's just that good!
snowman is offline Find More Posts by snowman
Last edited by snowman; Sep 10, 2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:16 AM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,610 Posts
DOG - I'm with Wayne, had to be Ground to Air.

Finally got some air time in this weekend. Several flights on the eT40 .......... Hey guys I acutally flew a T---t. Finally found the new runway after three straight battery packs of touch and goes. Finally broke the tail wheel mount, didn't rip it out as usual, but broke the plastic off. Still having issues with the SPE 26. Started good, but would not accelerate. First thing I hear is "too lean", but I have not had to touch the needles in two years. More likely the filter screen has garbage in it. Need to clean the filter and the screen in the Carb. Can't believe that suddenly the needle would change that much. And that is my report for the weekend.
NoMatta is offline Find More Posts by NoMatta
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:55 AM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,466 Posts
Had a twisted day today. Finaly figured out the right combo of glow plug, prop, and fuel to get this bird singing. It costs me an F plug, but the "miracle plug" has been up to the test. She's hovering like a dream. I'm finding more of the flight handling issues are with the nut behing the sticks and not the plane. I'm starting to adjust to the way she lands. It's almost like trying to land with gravity reversed. Just line her up and start pushing down on the stick. I've found the best tactic is to line up, get a descent rate going, and maintan that pitch with the bird til she gets close to the ground. Makes landings much smoother because you just keep her at one pitch till she comes in and flare about a foot or two off the runway. The .60NX is swinging a 13x4 apc. On a full throttle pas that poor little prop is supersonic at the tips. its a crazy ripping, screaming sound. Hd a couple of inverted flat spins, and lots of tumbling, shes hflipping around so hard I can hear her wings stressing. All in all it was a good day. Even got my cub figured out and flying. nothing like a low KE pass with a 1/5 scale cub. That always gets the guys at the club laughing.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:58 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,312 Posts
+1 on the vid Waldo!
+1 on the missle! Good call Wayne!
Sorry to hear it Kerwin.
Glad to hear it Snowman, Wookster and Bob!
Hope she at least died well Ron!!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:21 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,021 Posts
Quote:
I will be starting a build on an 83" flying wing soon. I started the thread for it if anyone wants to play along.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1729124
SUBSCRIBED I can't resist a good build thread and especially a Wayne build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Well I had the worst flying day ever.
Wow kerwin sorry to hear of the rough day But I have to say you guys have some big Kahunas I would never hook the buddy box up during flight LOL only because you never know if the channels could have somehow got reversed. Yup chalk that one up to experience only we were able to unplug in time and no damge was done except for the need for some nitro pills to bring the heart rates back of all involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
I think the term in "went out".
LOL By the looks of the pic I'd throw and engine on Pic 2 and fly it that way and I sure hope it finds its way to U-tube my regular e-mail address works but the laptop that I can see it on doesn't LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Without a doubt you guys were having a blast!

My hunting partner gave up cause we just weren't seeing the geese..........I flew up to one V-shaped flock and "wrangled" one of them away from the rest......that's all I need is a write about some terrible rc airplane hobbyist harassing waterfowl in the sky above Calumet!
Well it sounds like your having quite the blast yourself and If they do an article on the bad rc guy you could always turn it around and say you and the geese were having fun and you could have just pulled out a shotgun and had dinner instead of soaring the skys with the fun birds

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMatta View Post
Finally got some air time in this weekend.
I agree too LOL And thats great you got some air time in for sure, It sounds like you may be right on the SPE I find it weird to have to change a needles setting when I fly in the same altitude all time. So my first question is always Ok whats wrong with the fuel flow or plug now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
Had a twisted day today. Even got my cub figured out and flying. nothing like a low KE pass with a 1/5 scale cub. That always gets the guys at the club laughing.
Awesome Wookster I need to see a vid of your cub knife edging down the runway, I think I've seen it before but that always looks great
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:39 AM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMatta View Post

Finally got some air time in this weekend. Several flights on the eT40 .......... Hey guys I acutally flew a T---t. Finally found the new runway after three straight battery packs of touch and goes. Finally broke the tail wheel mount, didn't rip it out as usual, but broke the plastic off. Still having issues with the SPE 26. Started good, but would not accelerate. First thing I hear is "too lean", but I have not had to touch the needles in two years. More likely the filter screen has garbage in it. Need to clean the filter and the screen in the Carb. Can't believe that suddenly the needle would change that much. And that is my report for the weekend.
I agree (see, I am agreeable) with the trash in the carb, perhaps a new diaphragm is in order.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:45 AM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
I am thinking about the vent line setup on my 50CC that I have not started building. It will have a fuel tank and a smoke tank. Instead of two vent lines, why not tie them together with a Tee and just run one vent to the outside of the plane? Seems like it would be a neater installation. Anyone done this or heard of it?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:57 AM
Joined Jan 2005
5,381 Posts
Quote:
.... perhaps a new diaphragm is in order.
That's what I told her after the last kid!!!!!
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:13 AM
Joined Jan 2005
5,381 Posts
HobbyPartz really came through......my incomplete order just arrived minutes ago via USPS.......instead of a $9.90 6A ESC.......they figure a $43.00 60A ESC would be a better fit for my 8 oz Pico Tiger Moth! What is a guy to do?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:18 AM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
HobbyPartz really came through......my incomplete order just arrived minutes ago via USPS.......instead of a $9.90 6A ESC.......they figure a $43.00 60A ESC would be a better fit for my 8 oz Pico Tiger Moth! What is a guy to do?
So much for keeping it light and floaty.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:25 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,312 Posts
Quote:
Simple, order a bigger motor, battery and plane!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966