8,142 Posts
This is getting crazy

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1719965
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:21 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,380 Posts
Maiden Flight Report for the Yard Stik: Like I said, I wasn't sure this thing would fly, but I put her in the grass and bumped the throttle forward on my new Hitec radio and she lumbered slowly on the grass until I remembered I had to give it some elevator...doh! Still, grass was causing a lot of friction and just for the hell of it I pulled full back on the elevator and wouldn't you know it.......slowly she rose and steadily gained altitude. I couldn't believe it this thing was flying and once again I didn't need to trim it at all! I climbed to three mistakes high and throttle her back to almost nothing and was surprised to see that her wings were rocking indicating there was some thermal activity........so keeping her throttle down.......I followed the turbulence until I found a rising column of air and rode that elevator as high as I could until I fell out of it.....this this was awesome!!! I was flying in the field that I had problems with 2.4ghz equipment before, but this radio was glitch free. I played around treating this bird as if it were a glider and went on in search for rising air. The wind began to stiffen and it was apparent that if I didn't get this bird back near me.....I wasn't going to get it back.....there just wasn't enough power to fight a 6-8 mph breeze. I dove her down and was able to land her right in front of me just as the battery started to give out. The GWS 9x7 EP made the motor warm when I was pushing it back against the wind, but in calm winds I figure I could make a 800mah battery last all night.....as long as the sun was shining on the blacktop surrounding the field and providing plenty of updrafts! This combo is at the extreme lower end of power for a bird this size and weight, but it sure beats the one Kerwin talked me out of......heck, that one would have torn the wings from their sockets!!!

Plow, Thanks for the compliment, but I'm a novice at building anything other than ARFs......and you can't be less motivated than I, cause you'd be comatose!
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Roll Tape?

Doesn't the glue make them taste funny?
Wayne........if you said that at our supper table.....my kids would give you a look that would make you feel "." this big! It made me smile though!
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:02 PM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,609 Posts
Waay (Dan) is doing fine. I haven't seen him for a few weeks, as I ain't gettin' no flyin' in. His outlaw was cooking at around 140-145 measured by an onboard eagle tree air speed indicator. Roll rate was completely crazy.
NoMatta is offline Find More Posts by NoMatta
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:05 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,410 Posts
It was a good time at the ball park
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:08 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,380 Posts
Who won?
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:10 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Who won?
I have no idea.... I just watch the very large plane doing things planes should not do.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:11 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Snowy welcome to the world of the park flyer. Now while I love my glow an gas. You just can't f
ly them anywhere like the park flyers. If I were to fire up even an 049 I'd have some of the park officals and the neighbors all over me.So for a parkflyer I stick with the little leccys.

I so glad this plane has worked out for you. Have you thought about a 9/4.7 prop instead of the 9/7.

Waldo becarful you don't want snowy hex-ing walks of shame on you. BTW don't you own a leccy if I remeber correctly. Didn't you build a leccy twirp. Do tell LOL
It's ok Waldo you can come out of the closet now.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:02 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,020 Posts
Thanks for the Waay report tell him I said hey and very cool to hear avout the outlaw jet lol

Kerwin I will not leave the closet lol yes I made a Twirp leccy, but it really needed an OS25 as it was wicked tail heavy with that little electric engine on it and flew ballistic I added a ton of weight to the nose and still couldn't get it to fly stabile at all, I built the tail feathers way too heavy so it was my own fault I still have the wing and will most likely rebuild the fuse and tail and try again Once we move. my one and only electric motor is currently on the mount I made to pull my glider but it only brings it up about 50 feet or less so now that my cuz is towing my glider the little motor is now sitting on a shelf until i find some foamy 3D type ship. it was a motor designed to fly those Flatout potato chip type pices of junk that I originally thought I was buying for $20.00 and ended up spending over $130 to get it in the air with the leccy stuff, battery, esc, and mini servos and rx. I flew the potato chip around and every landing ripped another piece of it off and at WOT would rattle the wing into crumbs lol so I said man I could have bought another 40 sized plane for that price so it left a bad taste in my mouth and it wasn't nitro lol but its a rimfire 22M - 1000 brushless and actually runs flawlessly and I even have the same battery and have been using these for about 4 years now. One day ill find a frame for it

Snowman that is an excellent plane and great report I knew it would fly for sure
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:09 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,380 Posts
Thanks Waldo, but THAT'S RIGHT, YOU DID OWN A LECCY BEFORE ME! So pal 'o mine don't go talking smack...you have your own leccy in the closet! You know you want it......give in to the dark side.....feel the burn (every time you realize you spent "HOW MUCH!!" on this leccy stuff)
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:24 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Yes waldo give into the dark side young Wadlo. feel the leccy inside you
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:26 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,410 Posts
What is a park flyer model?

The AMA currently defines a park flyer as a model weighing less than 2 pounds that is incapable of reaching speeds of faster than 60 mph. It must use electric power for propulsion, be remotely controlled or flown with a control line, and remain within the pilotís line of sight at all times.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:13 AM
Joined Jan 2005
5,380 Posts
That works for me.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:18 AM
Joined Jan 2005
5,380 Posts
Sleep didn't come easy last night so working on changing the power system, on the Yard Stik, seemed like a good thing to do. It was about 11:30 pm when all that remained was to CA the ribbon that would have the Velcro attached to it to hold the battery between the wings. Now I'm telling you this as a learning opportunity because I'm sure none of you have experienced such a thing as what was about to happen. I wrapped the 3/4" ribbon around the carbon fiber spar and poured on the thin CA. I quickly grabbed the accelerator and sprayed a mist over the wetted surfaces and waited for the puff of vapor that indicates the reaction is complete.....well I didn't have to wait....all of the sudden I FEEL the heat.....but it was too late....I had effectively glued my middle finger of my left hand to the plane. I quickly scanned the work area for my bottle of debonder, but only spotted the refill bottle on the window sill. Damn.....I chastised myself for not bringing it from the workshop as I looked for the ever-present Q-tips to apply it with. Damn! Everyone was fast asleep and there I was maneuvering through the house with said plane attached to said finger. It must have looked hysterical as I bent down in the cramped downstairs bathroom with one arm, plane attached, up in the air and the rest of me frantically searching the cabinet! I did find the Q-tips and the Yard Stik survived without any hanger rash...no skin was lost from the tip of my finger albeit my finger tip looked much cleaner than the rest of my digits after an evening at the workbench. I consider myself to be an efficient individual that seldom wastes steps due to a well thought out plan of attack, but let me tell you.....thin CA and insomnia undermined that notion!