HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:35 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Seems like you had a similar issue to our experience. I have some ideas for modification to this glider that I think will help.
Wayne The Key to this whole glider thing is not getting the glider beyond the speed it can fly at while being towed we have always had problems towing until we slowed the lead plane down and then everything goes great the last video we had about 15 mph cross winds which was the trouble for taking off but then all would be fine until we went down wind and the tow plane couldn't fly slow enough and started throwing the glider around, So with the Gentle Lady glider anyway slowing the lead plane down to a comfortable glider speed after take off was our solution for sure. it din't have to crawl but really needed to be at the top speed of the glider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Looks like you're gonna have a lot of material for this years walk of shame video!! Cool vid!
we have a ton of WOS footage as always LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Waldo, that video speaks volumes! To err is human, to release divine!
I've got to wait an additional week for a 6A ESC!!!! What happened to quality service?
I like release
Don't wait for Leccy stuff Convert convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
The Victum of the 3DHS FLI.........
What will become of this Nitro Plane Extra over the weekend?
I hope pure Joy and excitement nice plane

Quote:
The Nitro Planes ARF.... It will be falling prey to some serious <and video taped> abuse and ultimate distruction.
my kind of Video but lets wait a few flights before that lol
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:46 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
Hey guys...SnowDog reporting in...crappy weather most of the weekend but today made up for it all.

Got to the field at 8am...waiting for the fog to lift! Weather report says it was 100% humidity from midnight until 8am, and very little wind, so we got fog! On the way to the field the fog started burning off...by the time I got there the fog was gone and it was starting to heat up.

Started out flying the 58" Edge...which flew really well. Then took out the 65" Vyper for a few packs and really had a blast...I love how that plane flies...even got compliments from the other pilots, including one of the other T__T owners in my club who brought his 40 size Twist out today...he wants to buy my 65" Vyper...but it's not for sale

After that it was time for some flight training...one of the new guys with his Apprentice...took him up for two flights on a buddy box and didn't have to take the controls back until it was time to land! On the second flight my brain kept telling me we were past 6 minutes, which is the time he put on his timer, so I asked him about it..he said the timer hadn't gone off, so I took the plane for a moment while he checked his timer...it never started :eek so I said I was landing it, and I did...potential problem averted! T

Then it was time for the T__T 60 with the Saito 115...had a problem with my fuel pump (which is brand new) so maybe it is a problem with my fuel tubing...not sure..gotta sort it out...just wouldn't draw fuel at more than a trickle...borrowed some fuel from another flyer just so I could fly! I moved the battery pack forward because the CG was too far back...that seemed to help, but it still balloons on landing (which my other one did not do?) so I think I'm going to investigate spoilerons on this one. Really had fun with inverted flight, flat spins, and even knife edge, which I seem to be able to do with this one, but I was not able with the last one. Must be the stronger servos I've got in this one.

After all this I did one more flight on my 65" Vyper (because now I've got a battery I can use to recharge at the field) About halfway through the flight the motor started sounding different, but it seemed to be flying okay, so I kept going. As I was doing a last hammerhead before landing, I flipped over at the top and as the nose pointed down, I noticed white smoke trailing from the plane! I thought "cool, smoke on an electric plane"...then I thought "wait a minute, I don't have a smoke system on there!", then I realized "my plane is smoking! electric fire onboard...crud...)($#$* so I cut the throttle and brought it down, landing gently on the edge of the field in the tall grass...ran out to the plane, pulled the cockpit, unplugged the battery, ran it back to the pits, started pulling off the spinner, prop (which did not break!), and cowl..everything was super hot to the touch, got it apart, noticed that the motor can had come apart somehow or slid forward, you could see the magnets from the rear edge of the can...couldn't touch the motor. I put a wet paper towel on the can to help cool it down and it started sizzling immediately...finally got it cooled down. So other than the motor, there is no other damage to the plane. The prop even survived. I feel really lucky that it turned out this way. Not sure what happened to the motor...I bought it used from a reliable source, and I don't think I was over taxing the motor. It was pretty hot today, not sure if that had anything to do with it. Anyway, I attached a few photos for your enjoyment.

It was 85 and calm and sunny and humid and hot...my face is "a bit red" after being at the field for 6 hours and I'm drinking water like there's no tomorrow...went through 6 bottles at the field.

Hope everyone else had a great day.
-Mike
Glad to hear that thing survived! I kinda don't like to fly my high performance leccy's when it is god awful hot and humid cause the motors can get pretty warm....wonder what happened? Does it spin ok? Did a bearing start going out on you?

Waiting on my motor from Jett Engineering so I can finish my outlaw...all done except for that. Didn't think I would have another Nitro plane but I'll be damned if it didn't happen....someone bamboozled me, lol
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:22 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
4,987 Posts
CRFan1.........the sooner you get the outlaw finished......the sooner you'll put it in the ground......you know it's gonna happen........enjoy the journey my friend!

Waldo! Calling me a convert? You don't want to stir up the Gypsy side of me.....already I see many walks of shame in your near future. And don't even ask me how that glider carriage is going to come back to haunt you!

Sorry, I can't chat......I've got to go fly some! Happy Wednesday boys!
snowman is offline Find More Posts by snowman
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:36 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
Glad to hear that thing survived! I kinda don't like to fly my high performance leccy's when it is god awful hot and humid cause the motors can get pretty warm....wonder what happened? Does it spin ok? Did a bearing start going out on you?

Waiting on my motor from Jett Engineering so I can finish my outlaw...all done except for that. Didn't think I would have another Nitro plane but I'll be damned if it didn't happen....someone bamboozled me, lol
One of our Twistaholic brothers, Waay, (aka Dan), got an Outlaw a few years ago. He ran the OS 32 with a Mac's pipe. That freaking thing was fun to watch! They haul ass and they do some interesting spins and things. You will have a blast with her, just remember to roll tape everytime you fly her please!!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:04 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,775 Posts
hey How is Waay doing anyway? If anyone knows, haven't heard from him and a few others in Eons

Snowman I like the gypsy it all falls in line with the free wheeling hippy way of life Happy flying you lucky goose hunting leccy user
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:17 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
CRFan1.........the sooner you get the outlaw finished......the sooner you'll put it in the ground......you know it's gonna happen........enjoy the journey my friend!

Waldo! Calling me a convert? You don't want to stir up the Gypsy side of me.....already I see many walks of shame in your near future. And don't even ask me how that glider carriage is going to come back to haunt you!

Sorry, I can't chat......I've got to go fly some! Happy Wednesday boys!
LOL...I am hoping it does not go into the ground anytime soon I fly my Superfly all the time.....this will be a 1000 times faster, lolol
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:21 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
One of our Twistaholic brothers, Waay, (aka Dan), got an Outlaw a few years ago. He ran the OS 32 with a Mac's pipe. That freaking thing was fun to watch! They haul ass and they do some interesting spins and things. You will have a blast with her, just remember to roll tape everytime you fly her please!!
Yeah, the rudder really helps out on them from the standpoint of having fun with it. The wing has a very thick chord so it should fly slow well too. With this Jett .35 (18000 rpm motor) it oughta go like stink....I am pretty excited to get it in the air!

I will definitely record some video. Just waiting on the motor......
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:44 PM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,775 Posts
emmmmmmmmm bacon coffee

http://www.delish.com/food/recalls-r...lavored-coffee
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:47 PM
Hardrock Miner
Livingston, MT
Joined Jun 2006
752 Posts
Someone say bacon?
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346867233.015933.jpg
Views: 27
Size: 103.2 KB
Description:
jacklegchris is offline Find More Posts by jacklegchris
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:07 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,305 Posts
Lmao!!
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:26 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
I hope pure Joy and excitement nice plane

my kind of Video but lets wait a few flights before that lol
Its a rough old crappy planes and its had its flights.... Abuse starts this weekend!

Apparently we will be going to the last Spikes Baseball game in State College tonight.... Not for Baseball.... 104" Slick Roo is doing a demo
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Sep 05, 2012, 03:33 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
4,987 Posts
Bacon....'nough said!

What have we here? A non-glow powered airplane. I couldn't resist......I had all the parts lying around.....what's a guy to do but take Kerwin's advice and under-power this bird! I'm not sure if it will fly, being that I had to move the wings back and the electronics/battery forward to balance at the wing? A little right and down thrust added as well for good measure.......and this will be the first bird to utilize my new Aurora radio. Flying it tonight if winds accommodate such folly. Sorry about the picture quality.......it looked good on the camera! lol
snowman is offline Find More Posts by snowman
Old Sep 05, 2012, 03:41 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,305 Posts
Nice work snowman! I wish I was as motivated as you! Of course, I also wish for some of your building talent and experience too! If that motor will turn that big prop with any kind of authority, I'll bet my bottom dollar that she'll fly! Vids please!
Old Sep 05, 2012, 04:26 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Snowman - I can't help but think it looks like it is nose heavy. What is that? A pico stick?

Nah, something else.

A guy brought a slab plane out to the field this morning. Needed some help tuning a 46FX on it. I really think it is a Mojo 40. He does know know for sure. It was very agile and a big fat twist style wing. Landing gear was a bit narrow set so it was tippy. It would not be a bad plane to have in the fleet.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Last edited by waynemia; Sep 05, 2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 04:51 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,305 Posts
Quote:
Apparently we will be going to the last Spikes Baseball game in State College tonight.... Not for Baseball.... 104" Slick Roo is doing a demo
Now that sounds like fun!! Roll tape!!