HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:17 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,541 Posts
Hey guys...SnowDog reporting in...crappy weather most of the weekend but today made up for it all.

Got to the field at 8am...waiting for the fog to lift! Weather report says it was 100% humidity from midnight until 8am, and very little wind, so we got fog! On the way to the field the fog started burning off...by the time I got there the fog was gone and it was starting to heat up.

Started out flying the 58" Edge...which flew really well. Then took out the 65" Vyper for a few packs and really had a blast...I love how that plane flies...even got compliments from the other pilots, including one of the other T__T owners in my club who brought his 40 size Twist out today...he wants to buy my 65" Vyper...but it's not for sale

After that it was time for some flight training...one of the new guys with his Apprentice...took him up for two flights on a buddy box and didn't have to take the controls back until it was time to land! On the second flight my brain kept telling me we were past 6 minutes, which is the time he put on his timer, so I asked him about it..he said the timer hadn't gone off, so I took the plane for a moment while he checked his timer...it never started :eek so I said I was landing it, and I did...potential problem averted! T

Then it was time for the T__T 60 with the Saito 115...had a problem with my fuel pump (which is brand new) so maybe it is a problem with my fuel tubing...not sure..gotta sort it out...just wouldn't draw fuel at more than a trickle...borrowed some fuel from another flyer just so I could fly! I moved the battery pack forward because the CG was too far back...that seemed to help, but it still balloons on landing (which my other one did not do?) so I think I'm going to investigate spoilerons on this one. Really had fun with inverted flight, flat spins, and even knife edge, which I seem to be able to do with this one, but I was not able with the last one. Must be the stronger servos I've got in this one.

After all this I did one more flight on my 65" Vyper (because now I've got a battery I can use to recharge at the field) About halfway through the flight the motor started sounding different, but it seemed to be flying okay, so I kept going. As I was doing a last hammerhead before landing, I flipped over at the top and as the nose pointed down, I noticed white smoke trailing from the plane! I thought "cool, smoke on an electric plane"...then I thought "wait a minute, I don't have a smoke system on there!", then I realized "my plane is smoking! electric fire onboard...crud...)($#$* so I cut the throttle and brought it down, landing gently on the edge of the field in the tall grass...ran out to the plane, pulled the cockpit, unplugged the battery, ran it back to the pits, started pulling off the spinner, prop (which did not break!), and cowl..everything was super hot to the touch, got it apart, noticed that the motor can had come apart somehow or slid forward, you could see the magnets from the rear edge of the can...couldn't touch the motor. I put a wet paper towel on the can to help cool it down and it started sizzling immediately...finally got it cooled down. So other than the motor, there is no other damage to the plane. The prop even survived. I feel really lucky that it turned out this way. Not sure what happened to the motor...I bought it used from a reliable source, and I don't think I was over taxing the motor. It was pretty hot today, not sure if that had anything to do with it. Anyway, I attached a few photos for your enjoyment.

It was 85 and calm and sunny and humid and hot...my face is "a bit red" after being at the field for 6 hours and I'm drinking water like there's no tomorrow...went through 6 bottles at the field.

Hope everyone else had a great day.
-Mike
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:50 PM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
First, put a screw through the weight into the firewall. If you really want it to stay, use a bolt and a t-nut and locktite.

Now that I answered your question, That engine is not right. I have seen a couple of NX engines and it should not do that. I am with PB, any crash history? Is the prop washer seated correctly? You can pull it off and check. You may have to heat it.

Maybe the crank is not balanced correctly?

I wonder if you could take the crank out, chuck it in a drill, and spin it up to see if it is balanced?
ooh, i'll give the bolt a try. Just wasn't sure if there was something i was doing wrong with the not so stick on weights. I've seen NX motors as well. I'm becoming the field Evo mechanic. The problem is specific to the .60 NX. something about the .60 displacement and the .40 case. If I had to give my guess it's either a larger % of the total weight is now in motion. Or Horizon in order to save some bucks used the same crank for the .60 as the .52 and all .40 size engines. It's just her nature, no crashes, no issues. She has been run super lean a whole bunch of times. I'm starting to wonder if descending in hover takes cooling away from the engine. I shut her down today and left a cooling fin shaped burn on my forearm when i wasnt careful on how i picked her up. it was hot enough it sizzled my skin. Darn thing still runs like a champ.
Wookster is online now Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:08 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Mike - Good luck on the spoileron thing. I tried all kinds of options to get rid of the float and all that. I think the bottom line is that you have to move the CG forward to get a non-Twist landing and then it does not do some other things very well.

Wookster - I never trust that sticky tape on the lead. I normally use epoxy. The wood screw thing works when you put lead on the firewall. I have seen lead shot epoxied into the cowl and one of out members has flown with vice grips clamped to the engine mount. When I mount lead temporarily, like on the tail, I use blenderm tape to make sure it stays on. Never had any fall off. Some of those temporary weights were on for more than a year.

Some guys use stick on wheel weights for car wheels. That tape is pretty good. I always recommend using some CA or epoxy on the wood when adhesive is used on wood. It gives the wood a smoother surface for the adhesive to stick too. I use CA in the fuse when I am sticking velcro down for example.

Anyway, a couple of wood screws should do the trick.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Last edited by waynemia; Sep 03, 2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:10 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Great flight report snowdog.
I think your can slid forward or maybe a bearing went out. pull her apart and look.
You maybe able to rewind her if your magnets havn't fried.
Good luck wookster on that NX.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:16 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,278 Posts
Awesome reports! It's great to hear that some flying happening out there!
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:21 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Oh yeah, Mike, I will never buy another electric fuel pump! As soon as I decided that, this one has been working for over two years. I still won't buy another one. I like the cranks because I can tell how much fuel I put in initially and how much I used on each flight.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:38 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
We had a bunch of guys out today. I did two flights on the LT-40. That is the wildest "trainer" ever. Still no video. Flew the Pizza Box and Flip Flop some today. I did a buddy box flight on an Electrostik and one on an eFlite P-38.

Heat is so oppressive again with high humidity. Had 101 today. I went out to the shop this afternoon and soaked my shirt. I did get the ailerons re-hinged on the Kadet. Broke a rib though in the process. Now I have some more covering to do.

I am also putting a Saito .82 back together, took the flywheel off an EVO 61 and put a standard one on, put a HSN ratchet spring on it, and changed a prop washer on a Saito 180.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:56 PM
Augernaut
Joined Jan 2010
1,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Great flight report snowdog.
I think your can slid forward or maybe a bearing went out. pull her apart and look.
You maybe able to rewind her if your magnets havn't fried.
Good luck wookster on that NX.
Kerwin you guys have any big events coming up? we have our city wide fly in in 2 weeks. I'll make you a deal. If you come down here to the park, I will cover your landing fee. I'm cooking pulled pork for the event and friends and family are free. If not then I will try and find a time to come up there and fly again with you guys. I think your runway is in serious need of some crop dusting.

I'll get this NX figured out. she runs like a stuck pig, but at idle she shakes like she's scared to fly. Still, hover is at 1/3 throttle or slightly above. I wil master this twist too i hope. Just got to keep her from throwing weights. It's like the plane knows it should be tail heavy. She's certainly an obnoxious bird. gives me just enough trouble to consider getting rid of her, but she also will give occasional mind numbing flights as well. After this last crash I may have to name her after my ex wife. A lot heavier than she should be,horrible personality, but will let me do just about anything I want to her...wait did i just say that?
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:14 PM
Pawnee, OK
Joined Jun 2008
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
Kerwin you guys have any big events coming up? we have our city wide fly in in 2 weeks. I'll make you a deal. If you come down here to the park, I will cover your landing fee. I'm cooking pulled pork for the event and friends and family are free. If not then I will try and find a time to come up there and fly again with you guys. I think your runway is in serious need of some crop dusting.

I'll get this NX figured out. she runs like a stuck pig, but at idle she shakes like she's scared to fly. Still, hover is at 1/3 throttle or slightly above. I wil master this twist too i hope. Just got to keep her from throwing weights. It's like the plane knows it should be tail heavy. She's certainly an obnoxious bird. gives me just enough trouble to consider getting rid of her, but she also will give occasional mind numbing flights as well. After this last crash I may have to name her after my ex wife. A lot heavier than she should be,horrible personality, but will let me do just about anything I want to her...wait did i just say that?

Yes, you did say that. And made me laugh so hard I almost hurt myself.
buckskin is offline Find More Posts by buckskin
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:47 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
O wookster sure I'll come just give me the date.
BTW please don't blame the little twist because of that motor.
Like Alan said get an OS AX 55 or better yet an OS 61.
you'll never look back.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:10 AM
Augernaut
Joined Jan 2010
1,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
O wookster sure I'll come just give me the date.
BTW please don't blame the little twist because of that motor.
Like Alan said get an OS AX 55 or better yet an OS 61.
you'll never look back.
The motor runs great, just is a bit shaky. Enough to throw lead weights like rice at a wedding. This is the same motor you saw running it when I came up. Tons of power, but a few side affects.The fly in is saturday the 15th. 8am-4pm I believe. In defense of the twist, we were flying today in a 15MPH crosswind and she came down nice and easy.She's just a different bird to land. With all the others I have to pull up to flare on landing. With the twist I have to push down with the occasional throttle blip to get her back to earth. Really with the wind I'm not sure I even need wheels.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:48 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,278 Posts
Wookster.........do you own a prop balancer?
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:06 AM
Augernaut
Joined Jan 2010
1,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Wookster.........do you own a prop balancer?
A couple. I balance them out so that they don't move in any position, not just when the blade is horizontal.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:09 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Thanks fellas........sorry Waldo, I know it's just another leccy flight.
First off a very Happy Birthday to the Snowwoman
And nice goose hunting

Don't be apologizing to me for any leccy stuff you only have to apologize to yourselves lol I'm loving all the flying reports from everyone, Leccy or Nitro the important thing here is your all in the sky and as always a great flight report on the moth, I think we need to storyboard those flight reports and make some animations to go along with them

Wookster maybe check the front bearings out, my NX started throwing the bearings in the 1st season I used one with no crashes on it at all, and now it sits on a shelf waiting for me to get some new bearings as it won't even start anymore. So when I opened it up wondering what the heck was going on a few little bearings dropped onto my bench I was like WTH !!!!

Kerwin50 nice vid LOL Your having a little too much fun my friend. I love hearing your flight reports and now you've added video just awesome!!

Snowdog great report and Loved the pic of the little green stowaway inbetween the elevator and stab LOL good thing that plane didn't completely go up in flames.

Wayne man you are a building machine with everything these days engines, planes, gizmos LOL

I love my electric fuel pump, (See I like Leccy stuff guys) I usually get about 2 seasons out of mine but this year has so far been a bonus and I'm on my 3rd season

Nomatta glad you got out there thats great to hear.

Well they cropped all the corn down yesterday and after a feeble 5 hours over last week of searching for my Glider tow dolly it may have been munched by the corn plow now I only had one more area to check for it when I went this week. so I'm a day late and a dollar short as usual lol

Glider tow vid to come soon
Happy days all keep em all flying
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:44 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Wookster it sounds as if your still just a touch tail heavy. Somday once I get a few dollars ahead I'll get my twist back in the air. I need a fuse and a muffler.
O to only be twisted. I miss it so.