HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:03 PM
Registered User
kerwin50's Avatar
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Here's my 2nd video. I really am going to have to film alot closer.
I sure am glad I got those flights in this morning. the wind has really kicked up.
labor day flight2 (7 min 7 sec)
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:08 PM
Registered User
kerwin50's Avatar
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Now where exacty were you at snowy when you got those geese?
Also just where did you go have lunch?
I guess now the next thing will be your goose is cooked.
Wookster can you move your battery under the tank, move the throttle servo. maybe make it a mini and put the rudder servo where the throttle servo was.
Just an Ideal.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2012, 03:23 PM
Registered User
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,451 Posts
Hey Kerwin! We were hunting at the mouth of the Sturgeon River that empties into Portage Lake/canal.... Nancy and I took you and your missus near there when we toured the South Entry/White City....remember? For lunch we dined at the Hut.....the place that you and your wife so graciously took us out to diner.....delicious rosemary crusted prime rib for myself.....and for the birthday girl.....the rib eye! Now for a few hours of flying before I head to the mouth again to hunt a large flock of more wary birds.....(they don't taste any better, but our goal is to get five each tonight)

P.S. The dieting is still going well........I had to forego breakfast and will skip supper so that I could once again have the taste of prime rib pass over my lips. It was worth it!
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2012, 03:41 PM
Registered User
kerwin50's Avatar
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Good luck snowy
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2012, 03:46 PM
Augernaut
Wookster's Avatar
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Can you move the engine out further on the rails instead if adding weight? If that doesn't work then perhaps a Heavy Hub prop nut is in order. Where exactly is your CG?
As for vibration, are you idled too low? Is your prop balanced? Is your engine mount tight?
It's just this engine. No matter how it's propped it shakes. Something about the bored out nature of it I'm sure. Motor is as far forward as she can go. I'd hate to move it further giving it more leverage to shake the mount to pieces. Idle is fairly low, but just low enough to keep it from rolling away on it's own.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2012, 04:14 PM
Registered User
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,451 Posts
Having spent the wee hours of the morning in a severe thunderstorm while goose hunting, I felt quite daring and decided that this afternoon's flight of the Tiger Moth would begin and end in the driveway. Up since 4:30 a.m. I am sorely in need of a late-afternoon nap before tonight's last try at putting a few more geese in the freezer and I'm penning this report as the last effort before my weary head finds rest in the Barcalounger. I gently placed Number 4 on the cracked blacktop and while looking up and seeing all the overhead wires....thought twice about the upcoming flight. The need to fly squelched any concern and once again I bumped the throttle and into a heavy breeze quickly lifted into a flight path that first had encountered the turbulent air of a truck that had passed just seconds before. She bobbled as gained altitude, first under the electric wires that service my home, then the phone line, followed by the overhead lines that spanned from pole to pole across the street. She barely cleared the chain link fence that surrounds the football field across the way and then I became aware of all the puddles left from this morning's cloudburst! Where was I going to land if the road held traffic? I breathed easier as I cleared the fence and was now flying over the unoccupied practice fields. I steered to the left and headed over the goalpost gaining height as I approached center field. Tall light posts, over 40 feet tall stood as silent witnesses to a gleeful flight reminiscent of a butterfly fluttering amongst a field of nectar rich blossoms. Every once and awhile a gust would freeze the tiny craft in mid air.....defying the laws of gravity that grip our feet and hold us fast to this earth. With an almost childlike awe, I stood there spellbound while no input was needed by my fingers upon the controls. I darted between the poles and pushed my luck as I urged the airborne nymph to climb the stepped heights of the spectator's bleachers. Still higher I climbed....above the announcer's box and between the maples the ring the grounds....the breeze became a wind at this new height and at that very instant I heard the motor's faint sound that indicated she was losing power fast! I had over a hundred obstacle-filled yards to maneuver through before I could land her on the street and I hoped that by gaining more altitude I could plot my glide path if her reserves ran short. Once at altitude I cut her throttle and dove her time and again.....a car past between us and I quickly glanced left and right down an empty street.......I dropped under the power lines and bumped the throttle....there was no more to give.....I looked each way one more time and let her end her flight in the middle of the street, two doors down. Fifty year-old's that have had a life like mine don't run......and when we hustle....it isn't pretty, but let's just say I made my way there and retrieved my prize. One neighbor simply shook his head as I walked by him with my little plane in hand....I smiled inwardly contemplating that whatever he's thinking, I doubt it's anywhere near the truth that is: the simple pleasure of being one with the machine. I watched two cars pull away slowly as if trying to be not noticed as their occupants at some time had deemed it worthy of stopping and watching the flight of the Tiger Moth. I will dream of a Tiger Moth's flight.
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2012, 04:14 PM
Do Da Dippidy
plowboy1966's Avatar
Joined Jun 2008
7,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
It's just this engine. No matter how it's propped it shakes. Something about the bored out nature of it I'm sure. Motor is as far forward as she can go. I'd hate to move it further giving it more leverage to shake the mount to pieces. Idle is fairly low, but just low enough to keep it from rolling away on it's own.
Then throw that engine away and get a 55AX! lol
Have you ever dinked that engine? Is it possible that the shaft is bent?
You could always use the heavy prop nut, that might even take a little shake out if her.
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2012, 04:31 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,875 Posts
more snowman more

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Having spent the wee hours of the morning in a severe thunderstorm while goose hunting, I felt quite daring and decided that this afternoon's flight of the Tiger Moth would begin and end in the driveway. Up since 4:30 a.m. I am sorely in need of a late-afternoon nap before tonight's last try at putting a few more geese in the freezer and I'm penning this report as the last effort before my weary head finds rest in the Barcalounger. I gently placed Number 4 on the cracked blacktop and while looking up and seeing all the overhead wires....thought twice about the upcoming flight. The need to fly squelched any concern and once again I bumped the throttle and into a heavy breeze quickly lifted into a flight path that first had encountered the turbulent air of a truck that had passed just seconds before. She bobbled as gained altitude, first under the electric wires that service my home, then the phone line, followed by the overhead lines that spanned from pole to pole across the street. She barely cleared the chain link fence that surrounds the football field across the way and then I became aware of all the puddles left from this morning's cloudburst! Where was I going to land if the road held traffic? I breathed easier as I cleared the fence and was now flying over the unoccupied practice fields. I steered to the left and headed over the goalpost gaining height as I approached center field. Tall light posts, over 40 feet tall stood as silent witnesses to a gleeful flight reminiscent of a butterfly fluttering amongst a field of nectar rich blossoms. Every once and awhile a gust would freeze the tiny craft in mid air.....defying the laws of gravity that grip our feet and hold us fast to this earth. With an almost childlike awe, I stood there spellbound while no input was needed by my fingers upon the controls. I darted between the poles and pushed my luck as I urged the airborne nymph to climb the stepped heights of the spectator's bleachers. Still higher I climbed....above the announcer's box and between the maples the ring the grounds....the breeze became a wind at this new height and at that very instant I heard the motor's faint sound that indicated she was losing power fast! I had over a hundred obstacle-filled yards to maneuver through before I could land her on the street and I hoped that by gaining more altitude I could plot my glide path if her reserves ran short. Once at altitude I cut her throttle and dove her time and again.....a car past between us and I quickly glanced left and right down an empty street.......I dropped under the power lines and bumped the throttle....there was no more to give.....I looked each way one more time and let her end her flight in the middle of the street, two doors down. Fifty year-old's that have had a life like mine don't run......and when we hustle....it isn't pretty, but let's just say I made my way there and retrieved my prize. One neighbor simply shook his head as I walked by him with my little plane in hand....I smiled inwardly contemplating that whatever he's thinking, I doubt it's anywhere near the truth that is: the simple pleasure of being one with the machine. I watched two cars pull away slowly as if trying to be not noticed as their occupants at some time had deemed it worthy of stopping and watching the flight of the Tiger Moth. I will dream of a Tiger Moth's flight.
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2012, 04:58 PM
Do Da Dippidy
plowboy1966's Avatar
Joined Jun 2008
7,316 Posts
Nice narrative snowman!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2012, 05:11 PM
Registered User
kerwin50's Avatar
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Snowy you gotta watch those electrons, when there gone there gone.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2012, 05:16 PM
Registered User
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,451 Posts
Thanks fellas........sorry Waldo, I know it's just another leccy flight.......but at least it's flying cause the gate is locked and it's a holiday!

Kerwin.....I need to take your advice and get a timer/clock! If only there were more electrons packed in those batteries and they farted smoke and nitro-smelling toots!
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2012, 06:08 PM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
NoMatta's Avatar
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,618 Posts
Got to the field today for a change. Took the T150 and the Edge. Forgot the starter and that #*&^&*>!@##* SPE 26 won't hand start, so not T-----ting. The new runway is about half the old one, so I was a bit nervous about putting the Edge up (justifiably as it turns out) but did anyway. I haven't flown it in a year. Take off good, landing ......... not so much. Retracted one gear, field modified the bottom of the fuse. Saved the prop though. . Just a flesh wound however. I'll have it repaired by tomorrow. No chance to fly 'till next weekend though. Think I take the eT40 out until I get used to the new runway. Gonna start looking for a replacement for the SPE too.

Plow - Butch says hi! As do the remainder of the crew. Took the van today and no one recognized me when I took assembled models out of a van instead of parts out of a Camaro

Later on all
NoMatta is offline Find More Posts by NoMatta
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:17 PM
Do Da Dippidy
plowboy1966's Avatar
Joined Jun 2008
7,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMatta View Post
Got to the field today for a change. Took the T150 and the Edge. Forgot the starter and that #*&^&*>!@##* SPE 26 won't hand start, so not T-----ting. The new runway is about half the old one, so I was a bit nervous about putting the Edge up (justifiably as it turns out) but did anyway. I haven't flown it in a year. Take off good, landing ......... not so much. Retracted one gear, field modified the bottom of the fuse. Saved the prop though. . Just a flesh wound however. I'll have it repaired by tomorrow. No chance to fly 'till next weekend though. Think I take the eT40 out until I get used to the new runway. Gonna start looking for a replacement for the SPE too.

Plow - Butch says hi! As do the remainder of the crew. Took the van today and no one recognized me when I took assembled models out of a van instead of parts out of a Camaro

Later on all

Hey Bob! Glad you finally got some stick time! Sorry about the Edge, I'm sure it will be better than ever when you're done with it!
Tell Butch and the rest of the fellas hello for me!! Is Butch still flying that AW 50cc Yak?
Good turnout today?
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:54 PM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
NoMatta's Avatar
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,618 Posts
Decent turnout, but I left noonish- Butch is on his second YAK, I believe. A few IMAC guys were showing up as I left, so not much visiting. Had to get the truck set up for work tomorrow.

Sounded like they had a really good day yesterday.
NoMatta is offline Find More Posts by NoMatta
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:02 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
waynemia's Avatar
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
Bahh, the twist is being persinickity. Need a little advice here. In all the planes I have I mount my lead weight inside the cowl area near the engine mount. I have tried the same with the twist along the two pieces of balse in the nose. This damn 60.NX shakes them loose regardless of what I ashere it with. The motor at idle literally shakes 1/4 of an inch side to side. The motor is double visiond from the vibes. I need a good way to glue these weights down. At this point i'm afraid the EPA is going to fine me for all the lead I've thrown into the park.
First, put a screw through the weight into the firewall. If you really want it to stay, use a bolt and a t-nut and locktite.

Now that I answered your question, That engine is not right. I have seen a couple of NX engines and it should not do that. I am with PB, any crash history? Is the prop washer seated correctly? You can pull it off and check. You may have to heat it.

Maybe the crank is not balanced correctly?

I wonder if you could take the crank out, chuck it in a drill, and spin it up to see if it is balanced?
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion New Club Thread - Northern Beaches Soaring Club Psionic001 Australia 13 Sep 11, 2014 08:45 AM
Help! Tower SUper Saver Club la528it Hot Online Deals 9 Jan 10, 2010 06:48 PM
Discussion San Francisco Model Yacht Club's multi-club Swap Meet craig_c Dock Talk 17 Oct 13, 2009 03:28 AM