HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:31 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,285 Posts
She's finished and ready to fly.......I named her "Number 4".
snowman is offline Find More Posts by snowman
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:19 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Looks nice Snowy. I just don't understand how you were able to get all those lines in her like that. Man I sure wish I had been there when you did the build.

Waldo here's a link to the fourm I posted about your engine. The guy antique is the zenoah guru http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...87#post1808178

Guys I'm worse than a kid tracking Santa on christmas eve. My little Edge just arrived in Lenexa KS. I asked momma about going to there an getting her but momma told me just to wait till tomorrow when they deliver her.

BTW Waldo yes I'm working on videoing with my sunglasses. It does seem that I need to look a little above the plane.
I hope I don't bore you guys to much with my videos. They will get better once I start taking them to the field and you all get a chance to see the boys I fly with. They are all such a crack up.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:15 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,285 Posts
Kerwin, it's a snap with an airbrush. I start with yellow.......spray the trailing edges for about 1/3 of the wing then I add a drop of red to the paint cup and spray over all of the yellow but heavier closer to the leading edge of the wing. I keep adding a drop of red as I go until I have the deep pink (pig's blood) that I'll finish with on the leading edge. What I'm hoping to do is to trick the eye into thinking that the color variegation transitions naturally. Once that is done I take a paint brush and paint on the erratic lines making sure to stand back every once and awhile to make sure that the lines are not looking too symmetrical...I connect the lines with a heavy black border on the leading edge and a thinner black border on the trailing edge....because when you border lighter colors with black....they "pop"! After all of that I just fill the paint cup with black and lay on a "smoke" layer that's heavier on the leading edge than on the trailing edge. This process can be accomplished with any type of paint and it's fantastically easy....really!
Last edited by snowman; Aug 30, 2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:27 PM
Hardrock Miner
Livingston, MT
Joined Jun 2006
755 Posts
Waldo, I used the neoprene tubing once. After a year the tubing was rock solid in the tank. I found ( after the deadstick landing) that the neoprene was stiff and would not flop around in the tank. I have since used tygon with no issues, replumbing every year.
jacklegchris is offline Find More Posts by jacklegchris
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:15 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,329 Posts
Yikes!!!!!

Hoverbike Of The Future for $40,000 (1 min 29 sec)
#!
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:45 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Waldo - I would disassemble the carb and look at the screen. It may have trash in there. I don't know where it comes from, but it gets in there. You can back flush the screen, run a wire in to clean the holes in the carb block and put it back together. You can remove and clean the needle and seat if you want. I did not have to change any parts.

I flew my YAK for 2 to 3 years and that is the only problem I had. I used normal pump gas and Amzoil Professional. I have heard all the arguments for no ethanol and this oil vs that oil. I still use Amzoil Pro and pump gas. I have not had problems that I know of from either one.

A friend of mine just had some problems with his TOC 53. He opened the carb and had debris in the screen.

Again, I don't know where it comes from. I had a filtered clunk and an inline filter on my YAK. I don't think it can get in there through the air intake and even if some dirt comes in through the vent, I don't know how it gets through two filters.

I also thought about the filling. A lot of systems have a T in the main line from the tank to the carb. If you don't have a filter between the fuel can pump and the tee, then you could be pumping trash from your fuel can into the main line. Then if you don't have a filter between the T and the carb, that trash has a direct flow to the carb. If you use a filtered clunk but using a T to fill, the dirt from the fuel can stays in the line.

A three line system is best I think. I also recently saw some planes using a filter on the vent line. I had not thought or heard of that before but it makes sense that the tank could suck up dirt into the tank through the vent line. Filters would help that but it would be better just to eliminate it all together. The bronze sintered filter is the one I saw on a couple of planes. I plan to use a filter on the vent line in the future. It is cheap and can't hurt.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Last edited by waynemia; Aug 30, 2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:13 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,329 Posts
You could have some fuel line break down that causes debris in the carb too?

Nice thing about the water bottle tanks, you can see things going bad in the tank.

Most if the guys running ethanol complain the most about the fact that the ethanol causes the gas and oil to drift apart a bit and at times you can get a tack that is less oiled. After a few lessons learned, we see people shaking their fuel cans a lot before fueling.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:26 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
You could have some fuel line break down that causes debris in the carb too?

Nice thing about the water bottle tanks, you can see things going bad in the tank.

Most if the guys running ethanol complain the most about the fact that the ethanol causes the gas and oil to drift apart a bit and at times you can get a tack that is less oiled. After a few lessons learned, we see people shaking their fuel cans a lot before fueling.
I have thought of that too but I can't see any evidence that this is happening. Maybe I will get a jar, put some fuel in and a chunk of tygon and see if there is anything that looks like deterioration.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:51 PM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
first thing id do if i had one of those.......probably drop my phone into it.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:59 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
New firewall is mounted in the Kadet and the glue is drying, lots of epoxy.

I have a new mount for the Saito 1.00. It took a while to make sure everything was where it should be. I am not sure the cowl is going to work on the new engine though. The new one is going to put the prop out a bit further than the cowl is going to allow I think. I am using CA to put the old cowl together. I will use it to see if I can make it work on the new engine. If now, I guess it will have to go naked. Maybe I will make some cheeks and bolt them on. I might be able to make something like that work. Maybe some flashing.

Anyway, that won't keep me from getting it flying again.

I need to install a new power switch, balance, fix the covering. Not sure if I will get done tomorrow.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:02 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,069 Posts
I'd be a lot more impressed if I could see it actually turned on and running.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:05 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I'd be a lot more impressed if I could see it actually turned on and running.
Yea, not impressed.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:26 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,587 Posts
Cool looking plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
She's finished and ready to fly.......I named her "Number 4".
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:28 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,285 Posts
Thanks David22.....still too windy to fly, but tomorrow morning looks good.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:52 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,308 Posts
Good luck snowman! No flying for me, but I might slap a couple planes together over the next two weekends. I have a NIB Sabre 47 and a PPORBBBT. (that's a previously Plowboy owned rebuilt by Bob T-/-T!!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966