HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:21 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,380 Posts

Btw......if you don't post three munching smileys they say the post is too small or something along those lines.
snowman is offline Find More Posts by snowman
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:37 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
!
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:49 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
LT-40 maiden went fine. I needed to charge the battery I put it in. I also needed some fuel and all I had was some 15% four stroke fuel. It is OK, just a lot more castor in it. The 46AX started immediately. It died in the air a couple of times. I took out the glow plug and it was some no-name with an idle bar so I pitched it and put in an OS #6. Last flight was fine.

The wind was in the 15mph range. The 46AX has plenty of power. I have a MACS muffler on it and a 12.25 x 3.75 prop on it. I can hold a verticle line. Not a lot of ground clearance but we are supposed to land very softly aren't we? I have maxed out the the throws and it kicks around pretty good. I can hold a verticle line.

I want to move the CG back. I initially balanced it at 4". Those of you that have experience with this plane can let me know if you have CG suggestions. I have to hold a lot of down elevator when inverted so I plan to move the battery back about 3".

I was goofing around flying slow over the field about 2' to 4' off the ground. A wing gust caught me and rolled me over. I was not fast enough to correct so we call that pilot error. No damage.

So just going to put some bigger wheels on and move the battery and I will be ready to go again.

Maybe I will get some video this weekend.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:07 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post

No salt, seasonings, or butter either. Hardcore!
What no hienz or A-1
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:27 PM
Montana Transplant
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Aug 2005
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Well its very weird because the flaperons on every plane I have T40, Ultra Stick, US1000, Edge 540, giant Tripe, brings the nose up, as well as any plane I've ever seen from any of my friends either, this is the first time I've ever seen this happen in my 42 years of flying but it is mny Good cuz who built this one so anything can happen LOL but just when you think you know something this hobby always proves you wrong.

Snowman yes our camera guy is awesome and he's also our FPV guy which he is awesome at also. he'sd totally addicted to the Kadet too LOL And I can't blame him as its an awesome fun plane to fly especially as a platform for FPV.

I think a 91 would be fun on a Kadet but a Kadet with a 40 on it will fly with floats no problem there is a ton of wing area and the fuse is just sticks so its pretty light, the 61 on my cuz's plane actually ripped the control horns out of both of the Ailerons 2 weeks ago, and we heard this BRRDDRDRDRDRRDRDR all of a sudden he was able to save the plane and land it but he's going to snap that wing in half for sure with all that power LOL I told him to get rid of those screws holding on the control horn and get some bolts that go all the way through.
but you can see the power it had as he was towing me and pretty much jumped off the runway and went straight up dragging me with him lol The Original kadet sr Kit has no ailerons the Kadet senioritta has ailerons. he has a knock off Hobbico Sr I think, just called the sr, I think It didn't even come with kadet decals. but it still flys like a kadet love those big floaty planes.

2 hours for a haircut Good Lord man now you know why I just let mine grow I haven't been to a shop in over 22 years but luckily My Daughter and my brother in law are hair stylists so I usually visit them at home, and I have to say since my Daughters baby was born I haven't had my hair cut from her in over 1 year and 9 months at least lol I think my last hair cut was over 2 years ago.

Wayne Ignition System On what ? were you talking to me.
[QUOTE=Waldopepperaxe;22574483]Snowman I'm not the safety officer and he was absent this day and I set a fine example of what we shouldn't be doing which is why I didn't post the procedures LOL yes big giant engines are definitely in order and What is a RATO ?? I'm all in and an .049 for cruisin power would be awesome it might just work your rudder on one side LOL so for a kadet you might want one .049 engine on each side of each moving surface, if you have ailerons on it you would only need 9 of them, now that would be cool to see I'm willing to bet an .049 would take a kadet Sr to the sky on a paved runway. heh heh hehe, he said basil

Wayne ahh yes I forgot that was in the video LOL and its possible the down thrust could cause the nose to dip I suppose I'm just spit ballin here.

Jackleg I wonder if has to do with the giant top wings or something? maybe the plane is nose heavy?[/QUOTE]

has to do with the aileron size and the wing type...

I have 2 top wing planes... one dives on climbs... Senirorita climbs, Robin dives
I also have 2 low wingers... same thing one dives one climbs... Twin Star climbs, UCD 60 dives

You just never know until you try it
mt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by mt_flyer
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:40 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
[QUOTE=mt_flyer;22587054]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Snowman I'm not the safety officer and he was absent this day and I set a fine example of what we shouldn't be doing which is why I didn't post the procedures LOL yes big giant engines are definitely in order and What is a RATO ?? I'm all in and an .049 for cruisin power would be awesome it might just work your rudder on one side LOL so for a kadet you might want one .049 engine on each side of each moving surface, if you have ailerons on it you would only need 9 of them, now that would be cool to see I'm willing to bet an .049 would take a kadet Sr to the sky on a paved runway. heh heh hehe, he said basil

Wayne ahh yes I forgot that was in the video LOL and its possible the down thrust could cause the nose to dip I suppose I'm just spit ballin here.

Jackleg I wonder if has to do with the giant top wings or something? maybe the plane is nose heavy?[/QUOTE]

has to do with the aileron size and the wing type...

I have 2 top wing planes... one dives on climbs... Senirorita climbs, Robin dives
I also have 2 low wingers... same thing one dives one climbs... Twin Star climbs, UCD 60 dives

You just never know until you try it

Full scale ones too. I seem to remember some ballooning and some going nose down. It is a weird feeling anyway.
Maybe too much throw on the flaperons?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:50 PM
Hardrock Miner
Livingston, MT
Joined Jun 2006
759 Posts
It don't bother me that the nose tips down. It actually makes landings kinda fun almost scale like.
jacklegchris is offline Find More Posts by jacklegchris
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:51 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklegchris View Post
It don't bother me that the nose tips down. It actually makes landings kinda fun almost scale like.
I never landed full scale with the nose down.

At least, I don't think so.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:10 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,380 Posts
Flight Report: I flew until it was gray enough that I couldn't tell which side was up. Boy that 3DHS 41" Edge is built tough! It cartwheeled wingtip to nose to wingtip got high enough on that last wingtip bounce that it made it around to the other! Some old geezer on a moped chuckled from the peanut section....why couldn't he chuckle when I was hucking it down and dirty? I think most spectators are hoping for a crash......really.....I do.

The Tiger Moth had it's guts installed....servos, receiver, and the ESC........of course after soldering those three tiny wires (that were much too short and way too close to the foam for a hot soldering iron) the motor rotated the wrong way...........good thing I didn't shrink wrap those soldered connections! I probably weakened the structure by melting a channel for the battery....but WTH......gotta have room for the damn battery don't ya?! I'll glue up the wings and tail feathers tonight and look to maiden it tomorrow.......yeah right.....supposed to have record winds tomorrow!

Well, that's the report from the wilds of the North woods.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:11 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,380 Posts
Wayne, gotta love them O.S. engines.........sounds like you had a productive day! Did you say you were making a STOL plane?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:21 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Guys I'm playing with my sunglass camera so I videoed my flights tonight.
Here's the 1st video
lil mx 2 (4 min 27 sec)
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:38 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
This is my 2nd flight it's very short. Very Very short.
lil mx 3 (0 min 58 sec)
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:14 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Wayne, gotta love them O.S. engines.........sounds like you had a productive day! Did you say you were making a STOL plane?
I don't think I did. I ordered some big 6" inflatable wheels for my Kadet but I am sending them back. Two wheels weigh 22oz. I just could not bring myself to adding that weight just for looks. They would have really looked cool though.

Instead, I have a spanking new Saito 1.00 to put on there. I am trying to make a glider killer out of it. I will probably put a three blade on it if the ground clearance is too close. I have not looked to see what 2 blade it would take. Maybe a 16x4W.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:30 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,142 Posts
Wayne maybe those wheels could have doubled as floats
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:00 AM
Hardrock Miner
Livingston, MT
Joined Jun 2006
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
I never landed full scale with the nose down.

At least, I don't think so.
I meant that it makes it easier for me to land on the mains and then set the tail down instead of landing 3-point.
jacklegchris is offline Find More Posts by jacklegchris