HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:30 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,880 Posts
I had WAFFLES this morning

Great job snowman! I need to loose about 50 pounds to get to where I would like to be but just haven't had the heart to start.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:48 PM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,460 Posts
I got a question

I want to set up a,plane with two servos for each aileron

Reason being it needs lots of torque

One servo just can't pull enough even though they are for large plane

Is there anything I need to know when using two servos for one control surface

Other than use same servos?

I don't want one servo,to,pull,against the other etc.

All,I want is supper power for heavy fast plane

As,is now one servoh just does not cut the mustard
Even when using aaa 5 cell rc bat.

Will aa 5 cell,battery make world of difference

Or should, I just use one mega servo instead of to servos

My ucando has dual,servos but never flown it yet to test out two servo operation

What is your guys take on two servo applications

Bad idea or actually great as it serves also as protection and best torque

This whole idea of two servos kind of confuses me

But also makes sence because it should give ultra torque

I got big servos but seems not enough to pull out of a dive very well

Any help,would be great as younguysnrock and help me and make rc hobby way way more fun

David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:31 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Maybe TYPING about flying makes us fat.

Typing increases hand-eye coordination so it makes us fly better.
Crap... I am loosing out, I dont look at he keyboard when I type...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Kerwin! Another leccy????? And you're T_ _ _tless? You really are a leccy-lover in sheep's clothing! The united federation of nitro-burners mourns you being lost to them.....! *a moment of silence please* (I think I'm going to name my last leccy purchase "Heinz 57" in your honor!)
You meet Snowy in person, its permission for him to bust on Leccy Lovers.

Quote:
Still can't believe some people don't believe they went to the Moon.
There are more then you prolly know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I had WAFFLES this morning

Great job snowman! I need to loose about 50 pounds to get to where I would like to be but just haven't had the heart to start.
I lost it once... it fricken found me again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
I got a question

JR Match Box...
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:37 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,305 Posts
David, for two aileron servos you need to be aware of the proper geometry to start with, so that they travel at the same rate. Secondly, you need to match the end points and the center points so that they do not fight one another. The best way to do this is with an inline test meter and then some way to match the servos. You can accomplish this with matchboxes, programmable servos or a Smartfly or similar board.

Nate, nice flying! Really!

Snowman, congrats!! That's great!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:59 PM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,460 Posts
Thanks

Sounds like two honkin servos is easier than two servos
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:06 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,880 Posts
Thanks for the compliment Plow. As the comfort level with the plane increases I am willing to try more stuff. I hope to get the video of it with smoke on in the next few days. Smoke is still a work in progress... I haven't figured out how to mix it with my throttle yet.

David what plane are you working on? My suggestion would be to get some HV servos and use a 2s lipo. Just make sure your rx can take that much voltage. All of the newer stuff does. YMMV.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:27 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,504 Posts
David what radio do you have? Plowboy pretty much said it?
I'm monday morning quarterbacking it,
I had a blast yesterday. I seen my buddy Jim accidently do a harrier landing with his PTS Mustang. It seems he had dropped his flaps too far down for such a long approach,
Boy I've never seen a mustang do a harrier landing before.
I swore up an down that I was going to video the days events but I forgot my video sunglasses.
I also tore an aileron on my little MX. I'm wondering if Zap Goo will work for hinging.
Boy moving that battery pack way back on that little MX sure made her knife edge well.
Batteries charged! Snowy I think the leccy bug has already bitten you LOL

20lbs Snowy, whats your secret. You an plow really got me beat now.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:19 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
4,984 Posts
Kerwin, lots of veggies, a serving of meat equals half the size of my palm and not thicker than my pinky, no refined sugars, limited carbs, and most importantly......nothing to eat after supper with only water to drink.......course for me loosing the first 30 pounds usually isn't the problem....is continuing to loose them without getting frustrated and consequently giving up! Food addiction is tough....you just can't quit eating.

"You meet Snowy in person, its permission for him to bust on Leccy Lovers." C'mon DOG........you don't have to meet me in person to have me bust your chops! (Leccy lovers aren't bad people, they just prefer to keep their hands clean....and they like extra starch in their collars)
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:27 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Crap... I am loosing out, I dont look at he keyboard when I type...
Crap! Neither do I. OK, it increases manual dexterity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
I got a question

Other than use same servos?

I don't want one servo,to,pull,against the other etc.

All,I want is supper power for heavy fast plane

As,is now one servoh just does not cut the mustard
Even when using aaa 5 cell rc bat.

Will aa 5 cell,battery make world of difference

Or should, I just use one mega servo instead of to servos

My ucando has dual,servos but never flown it yet to test out two servo operation

What is your guys take on two servo applications

Bad idea or actually great as it serves also as protection and best torque

This whole idea of two servos kind of confuses me

But also makes sence because it should give ultra torque

I got big servos but seems not enough to pull out of a dive very well

Any help,would be great as younguysnrock and help me and make rc hobby way way more fun

David - There are some very high torque servos so you would be better off with one servo per aileron if the plane was designed that way. If you are having trouble pulling out of a dive, that is primarily the elevator. If you are trying to do very high speed dives and then expect to rapidly pull out at 90 degrees, your expectations may be too high. If you are pulling the elevator and it continues in the dive, you may be having blow-back on the servo and more torque could help. it could also be your push rods flexing. If you only have one servo on the elevator, one side could be blowing back. That would create some roll.

Two servos are sometimes put on one aileron because they are long as in 100cc+ planes and large sail planes. One servo could try moving the aileron but since the aileron is long, it can actually blow back on one end. The second servo would help make sure the aileron stays straight.

You also need to make sure your voltage is not sagging under load. Put a meter between the battery and the plane. A Watts up meter is good for this because it records the minimum voltage, current, and power. You should not have to go to HV servos but you may need a higher capacity pack.

Also mentioned is that the servos need to have the same geometry. This is accounted for on planes designed for two servos. The position and angle of each servo relative to the control surface needs to be the same so that the same travel at each servo causes the same deflection of the surface.

Next both servos should be the same model if possible. This is to match the speed and torque.

You then need to match the throw/end points. Some servos are programmable and you can set the servos so they both have the same travel for a given deflection of the sticks. This is usually checked at maximum deflection. You adjust one servo for the desired throw then match the second servo by adjusting it for the minimum current draw for the servos. It is best to only have the two servos you are setting attached.

If you don't have programmable servos, you can accomplish this by using a match box or some power boards, like some SmartFly models, have built in matchboxes.

Hope this helps.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:30 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
I went to fly today and ended up being flight instructor for a bunch of new pilots and also a maiden flight pilot for some new pilots! Got there at 8:30 and didn't get to fly one of my planes until 11am! Flew a few packs on my 65" Vyper...man that Scorpion has LOTS of power !! I really enjoyed helping out the newer pilots in the club, and helping guys get their new planes trimmed out...new guys will keep our club healthy and active for years to come, and also I can make sure they hear about 3D flying!!!
I flew someone else's plane this weekend and a servo went out and the plane went in (It was a Diamond Dust).....thankfully it survived mostly intact with some covering repair and a crack in the vertical stab.

Other than that...spent the day bonding with the ole 60 Twist and she flew awesome all day.
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:22 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,774 Posts
Quote:
Hey Waldo - I am thinking of going to an FA-100 on the Kadet for the rebuild. Maybe I can get enough power on the plane and just pull the wings off that glider.
Holly Kaboby heinze 57 canoly My Cuz used a 61fx on his kadet and it damn near pulled the wings off my gentle lady a couple of times when we got into a slight dive but he basically had plenty of power with that and even went slightly vertical doing it LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
I've begun the Tiger Moth Build,Two weeks and I'm down the first 20 lbs.....
Thats awesome Snowman on both accounts, yes get us some pics of that build please. I've been gearing up for my weight loss program and quitting the ol Smogs too Its all going to take place in the next couple of weeks,, I think,,, I hope anyway its time to put some spine back into myself and control what I'm doing..

Brathanke that was some awesome flying for sure

DOG Loved that 28 minute long vid very cool stuff in there.
Waldopepperaxe is online now Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:26 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,774 Posts
You guys have to watch this. Towing 9 gliders with 1 tow plane
a perfect Monday morning Video to start off the week
The fun begins around 1:40
Nodd RC - 011 - NE Aerotow 2012 - 9 Glider Tow (3 min 54 sec)
Waldopepperaxe is online now Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:55 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
You guys have to watch this. Towing 9 gliders with 1 tow plane
a perfect Monday morning Video to start off the week
The fun begins around 1:40
God, that is funny!
Mayhem and mishaps aplenty!
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:08 AM
Joined Jan 2005
4,984 Posts
Too funny Waldo!!! Good luck on the quitting smoking.....you can do it! You looked pretty trim to me.......I'd work on the quitting smoking first, then losing what little weight you have to loose.......you want to set yourself up for success! (Course the weight does have a way of gaining on ya when ya quit smoking!) Good luck!!

Here's a video from this morning.......funny thing is I already found one error in my "improvements" to this plane.......I had to remove the foam engine block in favor of a ply and cedar one.......much stronger.....I'll post a picture later. Leccys are ugly build projects too.

http://youtu.be/540P9yq1GD8
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:10 PM
Joined Jan 2005
4,984 Posts
A few corrections to the build already: (That's a leccy-build for ya!)