SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:00 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
This is the best video so far of the problematic glider launch. The takeoff starts at about 1:25.

20120819 105136 (2 min 49 sec)
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:15 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,290 Posts
Wayne, I know property damage was the result, but you have to admit....that was highly entertaining. I hope you get things figured out...Jack211 had a Gentle Lady and we launched it many times successfully with a high start.
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:18 AM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Wayne, I know property damage was the result, but you have to admit....that was highly entertaining. I hope you get things figured out...Jack211 had a Gentle Lady and we launched it many times successfully with a high start.
Yea, kinda wild. Well the purpose was to do an aerotow. We did not care anything about flying the glider.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:04 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,972 Posts
Wayne that was freakin Awesome LOLOLOLOLOL yes highly entertaining and thats a serious stunt glider LOL wicked rolling loops and I believe we are going to have the same exact scenario this weekend LOL bummer that the kadet went in but it looked like it did a very nice flat spin anyway. Hope it wasn't too badly damaged.

Snowman yeah what was Kerwin thinking sending you a link to an out of stock item lol and how did that Hi start work out for you guys when you used it, How long was the stretch, a friend gave me a hi start set and I thought he was trying to get the glider to go into orbit, had to be at least 200-300 feet of line as it it extended well over both ends of our runway and probably 40 feet of Surgical tubing type stuff after that

DOG you must have hit the lotto or something as I myself just buy a Hot dog or piece of pizza when I go out to lunch and I'm sure Jen and yourself are very happy about having 3 beautiful Blue vans now, thats living and good luck to getting the axel fixed. Great vid by the way
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:47 AM
Joined Jan 2005
5,290 Posts
Waldo.......the high start was setup pretty much the same with the little parachute on the end........worked phenomenally! I was in better shape those days so I would be the one stretching the rig out! (Jack211 was a heavy smoker ) Two more days of construction and I'm a free man for awhile.....that means lots of flying, fishing, and building! I can't wait!
Kerwin, you're awfully quiet lately????
David22.......where are you?
It appears the ranks are thinning these days.....
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:31 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,332 Posts
Snowy,

I just looked at a motor I have like that, the prop saver screws done have the large allen hear, its just a treaded rod with a Reg screw driver slot on the end, cut into the threaded section, no head. You could do the same thing with a dremil tool
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:48 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Daniel - I went all the way to the shop to look at the JR servos. One the way back, I started looking at the moon. The moon is framed by Saturn, Mars, and Spica tonight. Cool triangle next to the moon. .

No pics Wayne.

Snowy I'm sure that motor was in stock when I sent you that link the very 1st time a few weeks ago.
I sure hope you get that project all done.
BTW just when is that play?

Well I got the Green Machine back on the kitchen table again. I need to repair the wheel pants on her and momma likes it when I hang out in the Kitchen/living room.
But I also needed the space on my work bench for a couple other projects.
SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH don't tell momma She think I brought the Green machine out espically for her.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:34 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,290 Posts
Kerwin, the show is the 7th & 8th.....and the 13th, 14th, & 15th of Sept.

DOG.....I'll make it work come hell or high water.....thanks for your thoughts on the matter!

Kerwin.....it wasn't in stock......that's why I ordered this one remember.....we were on the phone that night too!
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:06 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,592 Posts
omg that was one interesting video wayne

the glider even looks to almost crash land at the end
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:58 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
O Snowy I stand corrected. I don't see anyway I can get away on those dates as my shipping dates are on sept 16th
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:03 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
omg that was one interesting video wayne

the glider even looks to almost crash land at the end
The glider received a small tear in the covering on the bottom of the h-stab.

My firewall is in three pieces. I stuck it back together today to make a pattern so I can cut a new one. I also have a crack in the first bulkhead. The power switch mounting lugs are broken. Lot's of cracks in the cowl. It will need a little tlc on the covering. Not real bad I guess.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:02 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,811 Posts
So did the release mechanism on the glider malfunction?
seeingeyegod is online now Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:22 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,972 Posts
Yeah wayne inquiring minda need to know it sounds like the Kadet took a little damage for sure glad it isn't a total rekit but still some work to do for sure I know you'll have her back in no time though. I'm excited to see if we have success this weekend those rolling glider snaprolls looked awesome I hope I don't do them though lol

Snowman very cool on the show maybe you can get it videod and send us a DVD I'd love to see it
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:38 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,332 Posts
Moser confirmed they can make an axle for Big Blue. I have to find a proper box for the axle and ship it out to Portland Indiana.

In the interum I had ran across a 2000 GMC Safari 8 seat mini van at a new car dealer. 88,000 miles, mild hail damage on pass side but very nice shape. I had asked the sales man in passing what they would want for it, he said "if they sell it, around $5000". Wasn't too bad a price compared to things I had been looking at.

Once I found Big Blue was going to be down a while to get the axle made, I went back to the dealer and cornered the sale manage about the Safari. He said the dealer ship seldom sells anything over 5 years old, they are sent to auction. He said he would sell it to me if I wanted it, one of two ways. He puts it through all the inspections, repairs, and brings it all up to the best condition possible and I pay for what he has in it.... Or I take it as a "Tow Away" and I pay taxes and title it else where....

I picked option 2.

He had 2700 in it plus 90 to do the paper work.... Put a bow on it and call it mine.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:50 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
I did some testing today. It is possible to put enough tension on the tow line so that the servo could not pull the release pin. I did a test before the launch by pulling on the tow line and releasing it and it worked. Obviously, the actual tension was a lot higher, especially the way it was swinging around, to keep the pin from releasing.

I am going to do some more testing to find a servo that can pull the pin. I think if the glider had not been swinging wildly, the release would have been fine. I just did not account for such a major malfunction.

I used a 22oz/in servo. I use the same one on the banner tow release. I plan to test a 40 oz/in metal gear servo. Nearly double the torque. I don't have a lot of room so I hope I don't need a bigger servo.