HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:29 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,963 Posts
Hey guys. Just catching up... looks like everyone is doing well-ish. Sorry about your van DOG. Get better Shane.

My slick flew awesome today but I didn't fly it. The day has been rough for other reasons but I hope it is going to get a lot better in the next little while and I'm not talking about bed time with my wife although that would certainly help
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:34 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Hey guys. Just catching up... looks like everyone is doing well-ish. Sorry about your van DOG. Get better Shane.

My slick flew awesome today but I didn't fly it. The day has been rough for other reasons but I hope it is going to get a lot better in the next little while and I'm not talking about bed time with my wife although that would certainly help
The PA guy ring it out for you? How did it go.... Video.... not of bed time either.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:26 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,522 Posts
What no bed time video!
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:01 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,963 Posts
haha... no vids... sry Ya Mike did wring it out a bit.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:42 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,858 Posts
Brathanke great to hear the Slick is rocking now lets hear that when your thumbs are attached to the sticks

Snowman I just received a Tower Hobby magazine and it had the buy a box and get a free rx deal on there don't remember if it was Hi tech or not though you might need to get another box so you can get another free rx

Wayne Here are some pics of the version 1 release system I made. I wanted it to have a tire under it also so its actually kind of big when all you really need is something the size of a servo. But I plan on testing out this system Saturday and version 2 will be more like the little hook on the servo arm that just sticks out of the bottom of a slot with a much nicer tapered front for gliding onn the grass then the box thing I have going on with this version. and heres the Vid of it working.
RC tow release gentle lady (0 min 22 sec)
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:51 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Brathanke great to hear the Slick is rocking now lets hear that when your thumbs are attached to the sticks

Snowman I just received a Tower Hobby magazine and it had the buy a box and get a free rx deal on there don't remember if it was Hi tech or not though you might need to get another box so you can get another free rx

Wayne Here are some pics of the version 1 release system I made. I wanted it to have a tire under it also so its actually kind of big when all you really need is something the size of a servo. But I plan on testing out this system Saturday and version 2 will be more like the little hook on the servo arm that just sticks out of the bottom of a slot with a much nicer tapered front for gliding onn the grass then the box thing I have going on with this version. and heres the Vid of it working.
Waldo, that's pretty cool, thanks for posting these pictures/video. I've got a gentle lady and I've been trying to figure out how to put a tow hook on it...your idea of building a box and strapping it to the wing mount dowels is awesome!
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:46 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,119 Posts
Sorry Waldo, that was for Futaba, not for Hitec, the one I bought! Futaba actually wants their customers to take advantage of their promotions!!!!
snowman is offline Find More Posts by snowman
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:06 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,858 Posts
Thanks Snowdog and yes there isn't a whole lot of room in there I tried a bunch of things to fit another servo in there and it just wasn't working out the way I wanted it to.

When we first started the tow procedure we used a Titanium Tube it was very easy to cut and drill through but was as tough as nails, and extremely light weight we made a small hole in the end of the tube then ran the control rod through the tube and hooked up the tow line into the hole the servo would pull the rod back past the hole and release the tow line we just epoxied the tube into the bottom of the nose on the gentle lady and it worked awesome. I would like to just use a hook on a servo arm but in order to do that inside the glider it would have to be a standard servo not micro as I think the micro wouldn't be strong enough to hold the weight of the towing plane and would most likely break or rip out, but it might work, and a standard servo was too big to fit into the plane without re arranging what I already put in there, I'm sure micro servos in the plane to operate the surfaces is what I should have done and then I'd have plenty of room for a retract servo to operate the release but I didn't do that and don't want to change it now LOL Here is a pic of the other system we used years ago.

I see Snowman Yes that rings a bell now As I usually only read info on things I would buy or use Like Futaba when I buy a new Box it is going to be a Futaba for sure, Close minded I am, yes, But I've seen too many other products fail and I've been a Futaba user for 42 years so I probably won't ever change that As I personally have had nothing but pure success and longevity from those Futabas I won't even take the chance on anything else. now friends of mine at the field have other type boxes and have had no problems at all either but I'm an OS Futaba Guy for life lol
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:31 AM
Joined Jan 2005
5,119 Posts
Well I haven't even used mine yet! I hope it's as good as my Futabas have been!

I can't hold it in any longer: I wrote Value Hobby about an out-runner motor they just sent me where one of the prop-saver screws placement doesn't allow for an O-ring to slip in under under it.....there's only a few thousands of an inch clearance between the bottom of the screw and the outer cage of the motor.....right? The response: "Hi, are you worrying that the head of the screw will rub the outer cage? this motor is designed like that. we have not got the feedback abou this problem.
However, if this problem does exist, please contact us again.
a pic is attached, please check it." Ok, now here's the pic:

You can in the picture that screw closest to the bottom is almost touching one of the cage supports!
I've never had a problem with VH before, but whoa! "if this problem does exist, please contact us again." Well, duh........this guy in his infinite wisdom sure didn't remedy the problem telepathically!!!!!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:36 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Wayne, I bought the radio during one of Hitec's "secret promotions" that you have to stumble upon to take advantage of it!
I remember now. I don't use Hitec so it would not help me. I was confused.

Waldo - Thanks for those shots. I will get some of what I did but it does not look like a big difference to me. I am towing from the nose. The stuff I looked up looked like that was how they were doing aerotow. I know for hi-start it is not on the nose but about 60% of the distance from the nose to the CG.

I think I will mount a hook on this one for a hi-start launch also. Just to check the flight characteristics of the plane. We did a throw test on it but it was also the first flight of the plane. The guy with the glider said he was not going to fly it again. I think he felt bad about me crashing. I told him it was not a problem. It was my first tow and I should have cut him loose earlier. I am thinking of putting the tow release on the trainer switch so I have to hold the switch to keep the line attached. This will make it a little more instinctive for me to cut it loose when it gets in trouble since it is like buddy boxing that way. My tow flight should be short anyway.

I really was not too upset that the plane crashed. I was more disappointed that the tow was not successful.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:55 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Well I haven't even used mine yet! I hope it's as good as my Futabas have been!

I can't hold it in any longer: I wrote Value Hobby about an out-runner motor they just sent me where one of the prop-saver screws placement doesn't allow for an O-ring to slip in under under it.....there's only a few thousands of an inch clearance between the bottom of the screw and the outer cage of the motor.....right? The response: "Hi, are you worrying that the head of the screw will rub the outer cage? this motor is designed like that. we have not got the feedback abou this problem.
However, if this problem does exist, please contact us again.
a pic is attached, please check it." Ok, now here's the pic:

You can in the picture that screw closest to the bottom is almost touching one of the cage supports!
I've never had a problem with VH before, but whoa! "if this problem does exist, please contact us again." Well, duh........this guy in his infinite wisdom sure didn't remedy the problem telepathically!!!!!
sure looks like a problem to me...namely, the screw hole was not drilled straight.
Call them again and ask them to replace the defective motor.
In general, I've had good experiences with Value Hobby, but any one can have an off day I suppose.
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:04 AM
I Just Want to Hover!
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Jun 2004
703 Posts
O ring clearance

Quote:
You can see in the picture that the screw closest to the bottom is almost touching one of the cage supports!
I have to assume you realize you can remove the tight clearance screw, put the o ring in place and replace the screw.

Also you can simply replace the prop saver adapter or ask the dealer to do so.

I wouldn't mind that situation as it always seems the o ring gets jettisoned off the prop saver when the prop departs for whatever reason. O rings are a lot harder to find than props.

Bill
Bill Martins is offline Find More Posts by Bill Martins
Last edited by Bill Martins; Aug 21, 2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:10 AM
I Just Want to Hover!
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Jun 2004
703 Posts
Pylon race #6 is in the books!

So results for race 6.

Pretty tight racing, I past Jer on the 10th lap in turn 3 in heat #2. Great fun!

New field is kinda tight for these slick racers. I added flaperons to both Shoestrings and need to get out to the field and dial them in.

Still in First Place! Two points apart. One more race.

Bill
Bill Martins is offline Find More Posts by Bill Martins
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:39 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,858 Posts
Wow snowman yeah thats aweful close maybe they are counting on the tension of the elastic prop holder to pull it forward when the prop is on very weird to me though I'd also say as Snowdog said "defective" I've never delt with VH but good luck to you

Hey Bill Nice to see you still out in front !!!! and I get my O rings at any hardware store

Wayne The hook I have on the bottom of the gentle lady for the Hi start is just about under the CG of the wing, I just put it where the Blue prints said to put it And it worked just fine I actually designed the box for the release to butt up against the mounted tow hook and the front piece of ply with the eye hook in it so it wouldn't slide back or forth, Its just a little extra support doing it that way

Here was our first attempt at towing the lady last season the kadet didn't have enough power to even get off the ground as the engine was going bad on it so the new kadet now has a 61Fx on it LOL
Super awesome Glider Tow. We Botched it. (10 min 2 sec)
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:59 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,119 Posts
Bill Martins, that was the first thing I tried, but wouldn't you know it the threads of the screw abrades or causes small slices to be cut into the O-ring.....weakening it from the start! I buy my O-rings at the auto parts store......cheap! Oh, and there is no O-ring adapter....it's a part of the outer cage. (They just chose to drill and tap in the wrong location.) What they should have done is rotated the location by a few degrees and both holes would have appropriate clearance. Bad day or not......I hope they'll remedy the problem.....not just for me, but for others as well.

P.s.....I don't want to appear that I'm in favor of this blundering support technician being whipped for a first time offense......save that for the second time he gives me a fool answer like that! JUST KIDDING!