HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:14 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
Tom, our club is having an electric fun fly on Saturday if you are interested...weather looks to be spectacular!

You'd have to leave your gas Slick at home, but I'd let you fly my 65" Vyper
and you could bring your EF electric.

although at this point I would guess you don't feel like being on the road any more than you have to be
I like my Leccy planes but a leccy only event seems strange. However... Hodges Hobbys has the SEFF event every year at his hobby shop / field and it is electric only...... but he flys the B29 and X1 during the event.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:55 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,453 Posts
CRFan1, sounds like you had yourself a blast! Next year you could try for a trip around Lake Superior......bring your passport and get used to saying eh......after every sentence...
snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:14 PM
Lawn Dart Professional
USA, AR, Stuttgart
Joined Jul 2010
1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Hey man! Welcome back!
Ido should be able to help. Go to flying giants and get some help. There are quite a few Krill fans there.
Yeah, I've got one over there as well, and it's about as quiet as the one I have here.
abaser is online now Find More Posts by abaser
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:02 PM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,618 Posts
Plow - I saw him at the work day, but things were a bit hectic and I forgot to ask. I'll check with him next time I'm at the field.
NoMatta is offline Find More Posts by NoMatta
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:16 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
CRFan1, sounds like you had yourself a blast! Next year you could try for a trip around Lake Superior......bring your passport and get used to saying eh......after every sentence...
I thought it was YA
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:40 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
O it was a twisted night despite being twistless.
It started out this afternoon with me giving Dan an Dan a call along with a few others. But only Dan an Dan responded.
Now it was a tad bit windy. So the boys wanted to do it about 6:30.
I arrived at the field about 6:40. The boys were sitting around with their planes in the vehicles.
The wind was out of the south at about 12 to 15.
Now I wasn't going to let this stop the Green Machine. So I put her togther in record time and got her up quick, fast, an in a hurry.
I'd had her up for about 8 minutes when I heard the rumble of Lt Dan's MX firing up. So I brought her down as watching his MX is always such a treat.
The other Dan fired up his ultra stick with a satio 52. and they both went up.
Dan has came such a long ways since he started flying glow and it did my heart good watching him work on his touch an goes.
When they landed I took the Green machine back up and tried working on my pop tops.
I'm really convinced I need a neck strap.
So I went back to my waterfalls and really started working on my harriers.
Now for you boys who havn't seen me fly. I use an extra amount of body english.
I was hunched over in about a 45 degree angle As the green machine came down in a 45 degree angle. O it was a blast.
I had returned my throttle expo after returning from snowy's as the engine is running much better now.
All in all I 4 flights in and LT got in 3 or 4 as well. he lost his pants or pant as I should say but he managed to go out and recover it..
As the sun set I broke out the little MX and had LT fly it.
Boy everyone whose flown my MX does so much better job than me. Still it's a real joy watching it fly.
We flew till dark and no I didn't get a chance to buy a powerball ticket. BUT I still won a wonderful evening flying with my friends
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:37 PM
Montana Transplant
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Aug 2005
1,945 Posts
we are here... now to decide planes or trains.... have a small lake in the park.... Polaris time..
mt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by mt_flyer
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:49 PM
Hardrock Miner
Livingston, MT
Joined Jun 2006
759 Posts
Glad you made it there safely Daniel. Just do all the above. Who said you had to choose only one hobby?
jacklegchris is offline Find More Posts by jacklegchris
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:50 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,515 Posts
Oh it was a twisted trip back from Illinois in the conversion van pulling the camper. So on the way back Sat we noticed read axle lube on the right rear tire. This is typically caused by debris damaging the seal. This debris was obviously going to be a failing axle bearing. Its Saturday somewhere in Indiana. Executive desicion is to move forward and monitor. Ohio there is a bit more lube on the tire, no apparent noises or roughness felt. Getting dark at the PA boarder... Lots more lube on the tire <axle lube smells like bad A**> and there has been a hint of a howl coming from the back. Reduce speed of the last 3 hour leg of the trip to take 4 hours with a couple extra stops. Get home at 9:30 pm, howl has gotten a bit stronger but unsettling since I figured it should have been worst. Monday morning wife says it feels like it did the time a front wheel bearing was going bad but its right rear. Took it to the shop, they tore it down, 1/4 inch grove in the axle.

Ford doesnt sell the axle, Parts stores dont carry. Seem the conversion company ordered chassis <E150 1/2 ton> from ford with a 3/4 ton read axle <9.75 punkin> with the 5 lug half ton bolt pattern. Salvage yards where even confused.

I have found 3 online retailers that sell new old stock ford parts that have the axle for $245-$265 dollars and I am sure shipping will need added..
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:56 PM
Montana Transplant
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Aug 2005
1,945 Posts
tomorrow will be '
Laundry
wash rv, truck, and car
change h2o filters
drink lots of beer doing it... forcast 97 and lots of smoke
mt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by mt_flyer
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:06 AM
Pawnee, OK
Joined Jun 2008
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Oh it was a twisted trip back from Illinois in the conversion van pulling the camper. So on the way back Sat we noticed read axle lube on the right rear tire. This is typically caused by debris damaging the seal. This debris was obviously going to be a failing axle bearing. Its Saturday somewhere in Indiana. Executive desicion is to move forward and monitor. Ohio there is a bit more lube on the tire, no apparent noises or roughness felt. Getting dark at the PA boarder... Lots more lube on the tire <axle lube smells like bad A**> and there has been a hint of a howl coming from the back. Reduce speed of the last 3 hour leg of the trip to take 4 hours with a couple extra stops. Get home at 9:30 pm, howl has gotten a bit stronger but unsettling since I figured it should have been worst. Monday morning wife says it feels like it did the time a front wheel bearing was going bad but its right rear. Took it to the shop, they tore it down, 1/4 inch grove in the axle.

Ford doesnt sell the axle, Parts stores dont carry. Seem the conversion company ordered chassis <E150 1/2 ton> from ford with a 3/4 ton read axle <9.75 punkin> with the 5 lug half ton bolt pattern. Salvage yards where even confused.

I have found 3 online retailers that sell new old stock ford parts that have the axle for $245-$265 dollars and I am sure shipping will need added..

It might be cheaper and easier to have a good machine shop build up the groove and machine it back to the proper diameter. Probly worth checking on anyway.

Have to love it when companies have parts specially made for them, instead of just doing 3/4 ton suspension all the way around.
buckskin is offline Find More Posts by buckskin
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:09 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,587 Posts
Quote:

Dang Ron, every trip is an adventure with you...you sure are hard on your vehicles

We've pulled a camper with our Chevy G1500 van, but not over those distances.
I did pull a small 8x10 trailer and both times I did that, I ended up with a flat on my van (not the trailer!) and replaced the tire.

Glad you made it home...were you planning on taking this van to the King 50?
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:11 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckskin View Post
It might be cheaper and easier to have a good machine shop build up the groove and machine it back to the proper diameter. Probly worth checking on anyway.

Have to love it when companies have parts specially made for them, instead of just doing 3/4 ton suspension all the way around.
I looked into having it Spray Welded and turned. Ran into a snag.... Seems these bearings are considered an "Open Cage Roller" which means there is no internal race to the bearing, the rollers set directly on the axle. Roller bearing are harder then the hardened Axle shaft and the welds are not nearly as strong as the Axle shaft. It would most likely be a short lived process. <sigh>
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:22 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
Dang Ron, every trip is an adventure with you...you sure are hard on your vehicles

We've pulled a camper with our Chevy G1500 van, but not over those distances.
I did pull a small 8x10 trailer and both times I did that, I ended up with a flat on my van (not the trailer!) and replaced the tire.

Glad you made it home...were you planning on taking this van to the King 50?
Van and Camper..... She is a great old 1998 with 125K, no complaints. Like most conversion vans <1/2 ton> they are very heavy, they have heavy wear on tires, shocks, and apparently bearings. I refuse to run anything other then the Michellin tires recomended by the conversion company, they are the only tires that have the load range.

Going to shop for a new minivan tomorrow that gets more then 7 and 13 MPG. Fix the Big van, strip the back seats out, lighten it up and turn it into a airplane hauler and not buy a trailer for planes
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:22 AM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,478 Posts
Quote:
I looked into having it Spray Welded and turned. Ran into a snag.... Seems these bearings are considered an "Open Cage Roller" which means there is no internal race to the bearing, the rollers set directly on the axle. Roller bearing are harder then the hardened Axle shaft and the welds are not nearly as strong as the Axle shaft. It would most likely be a short lived process. <sigh>
ugh bearings are a B!tch. Just had to replace both rears in my ford focus today. They have them pressed into the brake drum, so short of buying a press and repacing the bearings it was about $20 more to replace the whole dang drum. Only brake drum I have ever seen that is load bearing. The lugs are welded to the drum, the wheel attaches to the drum, the drum attaches to the spindle. The best part being that since there is no protection for the bearings from high heat (since they are inside the damn drum) these parts generally fail as often as every 30k miles.

I love you Ford, but sometimes I want to smack you.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster