HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 04, 2012, 06:39 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,316 Posts
Dang Nate, sorry to hear about your muffler.
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2012, 10:03 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
I thought this was cool. Check out the flat spin at 2:25.

Remote Control Huge Bomber With Jet Launcher (3 min 42 sec)
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Aug 04, 2012, 10:22 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Dang Nate, sorry to hear about your muffler.
No prob man. It was probably broken this whole time. I just couldn't see it. I think Ill just see about getting a new one now rather than mess with this one. I'm still trying to decide.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Aug 05, 2012, 01:42 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Hi guys. Boy it's been a blast. I've already had my 1st walk of shame. You see it was rather windy an snowy was telling me that aahhhh you can't fly that GWS pico tigermoth in this wind. 10 plus mph
Well he should of never never said that. I hurriedly put a bat in her, launched her an off she went. She started climbing out. Got about 10 ft or so and went into a hard turn. Now no matter just how much pushed on that stick and how much body engilsh I gave her. She would not turn. And before you new it SPLAT. She met terra firma. I walk over to her and after picking up the pieces I noticed I had no rudder.
And Snowy let me know it Preflight preflight preflight.

Then it was snowys turn. He'd brought his dura plane. And let me tell you that super tirge will wind up tighter than an eight day clock. Man that jumped off the ground and I'll tell ya he was hovering that thing. I'd never seen a dura plane hover.
He wanted me to fly it, but after seeing snowy fly it. I knew I'd just have to hang my head in shame.
So then it was time to get the Green machince up and wouldn't you know it I left my wing bolts back in Mo. Luckly Snowy had some.
K49 is for sure gonna rub that in if he ever reads about it. But for now I'm safe as he's in Florida.
Anyways the Green Machine roared to life despite needing a tune because of the humidty an altitude. My Idle was way off
She took off effortlessy and of course I had to show snowy her flat spins. I then did what I call an inverted harrier spin. followed by a few stall turns.

Now my arms were really bothering me and my thumbs were vibrating some so snowy took the sticks an flew her around some and even brought her in. We got another flight out of her and both of us flew her.
Now by then I thought I'd better go check on momma. After all gotta keep momma happy.
So then I went back to the cabin and momma and I relaxed a bit before heading back to snowy's

Guys he had a chicken wings that just couldn't be beat at any price . then Him and his wife gave us a tour of the peninsula.
We went way up on this ridge that over looked lake Superior. Momma fell in love. Which is a good thing because I was able to get up this morning and go out for another flight with the snowman. Guys he flew the wheels off my Green machine. I mean when he landed her there was no tail wheel on her and the rudder was a draggin.
I then talked the snow into flying his little Edge. Now it was rather windy but I've had some experience with the little 3dhs edges in the wind.
I'm telling you the little edge suprized my snowbound friend. He didn't realize just how nice she would fly in the wind.

I'm telling you snowy scares me. Just like the plowboy Those guys will get down an low.
Anyways tonight snowy fed us Prime Rib mmmmm hhhhh good. His daughter even enterained us with her playing the piano. After that we once again took a ride and this time we went out on the south side of the peninsula.
All in all him and his lovely wife and family have been the perfect host.
More to come later Good night.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Aug 05, 2012, 01:52 AM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,831 Posts
That beer can looked empty the one in the lawn chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Aug 05, 2012, 01:55 AM
BEOWULF
Joined Apr 2008
18,831 Posts
What I am not sure about is 5 cell rx packs hold charge at around 7 volts for quite a while

But servos and rx's are rated for up to 6 volts

I even cycle my lipos now about 5 times befor maiden

Not sure but think lipo like some fast high amp charges to get them up to snuff

Then before important maiden or flight slowly charge at say .5 amp, even if it is a large 6800 mah 4 cell

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Yes, a couple of cycles on a charger will let you look at the charge/discharge and see if you Nimh packs are up to snuff. If not, a full five cycles are in order. If the charge/discharge does not come up to about 90% of the rated capacity, start looking for some new packs.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 03:24 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,316 Posts
Cool vid Wayne!
Old Aug 05, 2012, 03:28 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,316 Posts
Kerwin , I feel for ya when K49! finds out about those wing bolts!
I'm sure Stewart and Mrs Snowman are showing you and your wife some serious hospitality! Loved the vid and the flight report. Looking forward to tomorrows reports!!
Old Aug 05, 2012, 03:34 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,316 Posts
Hey David, how simple would it be to set up an inexpensive FPV system in a big plane to fly only 10 square kilometers?
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:21 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
O guys it's windy this morning. Close to 30 mph.
Who knows maybe I'll be able to talk my snowy friend into flying this evening.
My wife thinks this has been the best vacation ever.
I think now she's regretting not going to Texas the last time for some fun with Alan, Shane, and Wayne. Maybe next time. Like this winter.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Aug 05, 2012, 12:54 PM
BEOWULF
Joined Apr 2008
18,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Hey David, how simple would it be to set up an inexpensive FPV system in a big plane to fly only 10 square kilometers?
10 km is kind of regarded as long range

Shorter range using 72 for rc control would be cheap if you already have 72 or similar long rage rc control

If you really want to get into fpv UHF for rc control is great

Video can be done for cheap, or not too much money
Old Aug 05, 2012, 01:19 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,316 Posts
David, I could use 72. In fact it would be easier for me and I can run a truly redundant system using two 72 receivers. I am thinking about using it in my big cub, but I'd like to be able to pull a banner around a lake and possibly beyond line of sight.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 02:14 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,200 Posts
plow you can get out pretty far on 72 if you extend your rx antennas but you have to do it to the exact right length otherwise it will be out of tune and you will probly get less distance than the original antenna. It seems like you can extend it to 1/4 or 1/2 the wavelength of the 72 mhz frequency. you are getting into a pretty long antenna but I think it would be doable with your big cub.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Aug 05, 2012, 02:34 PM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,780 Posts
Well.....new job is basically killin me

Previous owner left a bit of a mess

anyways..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
The place is called Kolob and it borders on the West side of Zion Natl. Park.
Ive been to a lot of the most beautiful palces in this nation and Zion National Park is #1 on my list

Absolutly incredible. You HAVE to stay at the National Park Lodge! Manicured football field size front lawn and it FILLS with critters in the evening. Deer, Turkeys, Fox's etc, all doin thier thing like its nothin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
If I have learned anything from Arron working with him on his planes, wire management is key when you bang them around.
Killed my TT60 like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
I think now she's regretting not going to Texas the last time for some fun with Alan, Shane, and Wayne. Maybe next time. Like this winter.
Be careful with those threats!!! Im gonna be a big crazy part of the next gathering....Im tired of missin out on not flyin with my friends!!!

ZION Piccys!!!
Dad_Roman is offline Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Last edited by Dad_Roman; Aug 05, 2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 02:43 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
I was buddy boxing with one of our members today. We had some radio connection problems. Frank encountered it and a little later, I did too. Anyway it got into a dive and I was still trying to get it to pull out. It was nearing the ground as it pulled up and went out of site followed by a big splash. It hit in the pond to the Northwest of the runway. Chris, his son, and I ran out to get the plane. I was sure it was going to be a mess out in the water.

This is what we found. No damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
plow you can get out pretty far on 72 if you extend your rx antennas but you have to do it to the exact right length otherwise it will be out of tune and you will probly get less distance than the original antenna. It seems like you can extend it to 1/4 or 1/2 the wavelength of the 72 mhz frequency. you are getting into a pretty long antenna but I think it would be doable with your big cub.
There is a big impedance difference between 1/4 wave and 1/2 wave. The receiver would need to be re-tuned. Changing the transmitter antenna will allow you to extend the range in a more practical way. I believe some are currently on the market for that purpose. This issue becomes pointing he antenna since antenna improvements are typically directional. Some equipment is available that uses the video down-link to positional information that can automatically point the antenna. All this at a cost.

Line-of-sight is critical in all these situations however. 72MHz is much better than 2.4GHz from a distance perspective but antennas are key to being successful when you are not able to increase power.

To fly around an area, it is best to get a high vantage point to reduce intervening obstacles. You should also have the fail safe setup. If you lose signal temporarily, it can keep the plane oriented and, hopefully, you will regain contact. Gyro stabilizers and GPS homing helps all this as well.

I have not tried it Alan but having two pilots/transmitters and switching over at half range could be an option. A relay thing.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia