SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 05, 2012, 11:25 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,431 Posts
I had a blast out there.........about an hour and a half. There was no wind when I started,but when I left it was gusting to 8mph give or take. I would fly that little bird near to the extent of my failing vision and cut power, face her into the wind and while on high rates......ride her as steady as I could to within 15 or so feet from the ground. That little bird can float hands free and ever so gently too...a slight nudge here and there to account for the variable force of the breeze, but it's amazing how slight the glide path is for this baby. I parked at the back of the unused ball field where Jack and I spent many a day.......it felt good to be flying again.....with a purpose. I fished for spectators every time a vehicle made its way slowly to the yard refuse dump area to the left of where I was flying. Some would stop and gaze and would move only when another vehicle came behind it and honked. Most would dump their load and then park their vehicles on the other side of the drainage ditch and watch....I had four retirees watching at one time....what a crowd!!! Back-sliding her near-weightless figure from a hover brought an audible gasp that nearly had me looking over at those guys thinking one might have had a heart attack....but I kept my head about the task at hand...recalling how easy this once was....not second nature anymore!!! I don't know if any of you ever get this feeling, but its almost like becoming one with the plane.......no I ain't trippin'........I don't even have to think about what I'm doing......everything becomes inherent. Hell, even the seagulls were circling with me......dang.......I'm communing with birds!
snowman is offline Find More Posts by snowman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2012, 11:50 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,196 Posts
Geez guys... Utah is not so bad... I've lived here most of my life. Of course I'm in the Southwest corner where it's nice in the winter and super hot in the summer. When I think about moving somewhere for work it scares me to think of losing half the year worth of flying weather.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jun 05, 2012, 12:27 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
I had a blast out there.........about an hour and a half. There was no wind when I started,but when I left it was gusting to 8mph give or take. I would fly that little bird near to the extent of my failing vision and cut power, face her into the wind and while on high rates......ride her as steady as I could to within 15 or so feet from the ground. That little bird can float hands free and ever so gently too...a slight nudge here and there to account for the variable force of the breeze, but it's amazing how slight the glide path is for this baby. I parked at the back of the unused ball field where Jack and I spent many a day.......it felt good to be flying again.....with a purpose. I fished for spectators every time a vehicle made its way slowly to the yard refuse dump area to the left of where I was flying. Some would stop and gaze and would move only when another vehicle came behind it and honked. Most would dump their load and then park their vehicles on the other side of the drainage ditch and watch....I had four retirees watching at one time....what a crowd!!! Back-sliding her near-weightless figure from a hover brought an audible gasp that nearly had me looking over at those guys thinking one might have had a heart attack....but I kept my head about the task at hand...recalling how easy this once was....not second nature anymore!!! I don't know if any of you ever get this feeling, but its almost like becoming one with the plane.......no I ain't trippin'........I don't even have to think about what I'm doing......everything becomes inherent. Hell, even the seagulls were circling with me......dang.......I'm communing with birds!
+1 snowman, sounds like a good zen-like flying experience...I have those once in a while...they are awesome. We have hawks and turkey vultures near our field that float around; sometimes I go up and float around with them....lot's of fun.
So far my plane has not been attacked.
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Jun 05, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,431 Posts
brathanke........I didn't mean to imply that your state isn't worth living in....it's just that it's UTAH! Why Utah...and not.......Wisconsin for instance.......it's closer.....it won't cost as much to fly him back when he changes his mind in a month and a half!!!!! As a side note.....here in Hell's freezer......we fly year round........arthritis be damned!

SnowDog.......Vultures circling overhead? You sure you changed your socks? Are you flying with a silver-haired fella that has one foot in the grave?.....Those buzzards can spot them silver-haired ones from miles away!

Batteries are almost charged......round two baby!

Waldo....100 mph with .19........and you're putting a .25? 100mph isn't fast enough.....you want 125mph? You'll end up with whiplash!
Old Jun 05, 2012, 01:10 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,044 Posts
Snowman thats awesome and 4 people gathered around heck thats more than our band draws lol glad to hear your out there so much these days and loving it.

Brathanke ROTFLOL from what I heard Utah is a beautiful state and many of my friends are always trying to get me to get out there for one of those ski trips they always go on and I'm sure I will one of these times they completely rave about it and go every year. I was just surprized to hear snowman say his son wanted to move there LOL as coming from the blizzard country I thought anyone making a move from there would be going to Hawaii or some sort of heated paradise in the tropics lol

We get to have Geese by the flock loads around out the field come Oct / Nov and Its great playing A Bird herder the T_ _ _ T40 has circled hundreds of birds at a time moving them around the sky LOL Its an awesome site to see and noisy as hell
Waldopepperaxe is online now Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old Jun 05, 2012, 01:15 PM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,044 Posts
Slipped that in there snowman lol
I don't think it will make much of a difference in the speed really, It says in the book the .15 will pretty much do what your looking for and the bigger engines won't really show you too drastic of a difference because of the extra weight. But I have a 25LA looking for a new ship so i thought it would be perfect as the LA series didn't pack much of a punch but the engine has been very reliable just no real HP to them so it might get the speed of a nice OS .15 anything but LA lol we'll see soon enough and I might hook some Estes rockets up to it after I see what it can do and try and hit 225 or better
Old Jun 05, 2012, 01:18 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,431 Posts
Here here! I can't think of anything that an Estes engine doesn't make more enjoyable!!!!
Old Jun 05, 2012, 01:20 PM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,044 Posts
Ditto for instance how fun is this
Last edited by Waldopepperaxe; Jun 05, 2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 01:35 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Snowy will you adopt me.
My folks kicked me out when I was 17 and told to sink or swim. That forced me to join the service. after I got out I worked various jobs. The main reason I went to college is I didn't want anything more to do with low paying manual labor jobs. 80 percent of all the college drop out were kids that mom and dad supported and paid for there education
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Jun 05, 2012, 01:38 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Ditto for instance how fun is this
Sweet - I'm going to have to dig some of my old rockets out and get some new model rocket engines for them....
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Jun 05, 2012, 01:40 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,431 Posts
My favorite was taking that kite that you got bored with by summer's end.......buying the extra long string to tie it to.......sending it into the heavens.....and then sending a rocket engine up the string to exact destruction. The second time I tried it (after the previous year's success) the rocket burnt through the string when the wire eyelets captured the string in their twist. The kite was free with a wildly twisting rocket engine tethered to the kite string as the kite gained altitude......the engine finally broke loose and shot down to a nearby field of grass, which unbeknownst to me, quickly caught fire. I packed up my gear and was jumping over the fence when the fire sirens started wailing...... I looked and saw the smoke and immediately knew I was the cause of it...or so I thought.....the paper later read "two young boys were seen running from the field" I sat quietly that night at the supper table with a flush in my cheeks I was certain my parents would soon be questioning the reason of and since then I've often wondered if I did indeed cause that fire and those poor boys were running to be clear of it.....or did they start it? I read the paper the next day and was relieved to hear that no firemen were injured and that only 3.5 acres of scrub was burned.
P.s. when I was thinking about this.....I remembered looking around to see if anyone had witnessed my act of pyromania.....I didn't see anyone, but my eye caught the curtain moving on the neighbor lady's window........for years she gave me this look as if she knew the marks upon my very soul....if she was a witness.......she took her knowledge to the grave. (NO, I didn't put her there!)
Last edited by snowman; Jun 05, 2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 02:04 PM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Is he bringing it to you? Where are you handing off at? I'd like to meet Mr. Buckskin!
My place....we have a place to park and he usually spends the night.

Your welcome to join in Gots 2 spare bedrooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckskin View Post
It's really not that big of a deal, I don't mind at all. I just wish i had more control of where I go. But, I do believe we have found the size limit for this truck... lol

Now i just have to get to TX to drop it off.

If I would've known it was receiver ready I could've brought radio and test flew (crashed) it for you Shane....jk
LOL....nice to know you can depend on yer friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckskin View Post
I managed to drop the last one of at his house. Was nice to meet him and the misses. Hoping to manage the same thing this time.
Be nice....really nice if Plowee is here....that'd be a downright party

PARTY AT MY HOUSE!!!!!!
Dad_Roman is offline Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Old Jun 05, 2012, 02:45 PM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,044 Posts
Party at Dads House maybe we could get some kind of T_ _ _ Ted rate through the airlines and all meet there and gladly pay them Tuesday for a airtrip ticket today. Ok Dad maybe you'll have 437 T-aholics coming your way for Monday that would be awesome

Snowman thats a heckuva story LOL
Old Jun 05, 2012, 02:52 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,431 Posts
Love those graphics Waldo......you missed your calling!

Kerwin.......consider yourself adopted......(I need someone to take care of me in my old age!)

DR is throwing a party? Will there be meat and ice-cold beverages or do we bring our own?
Old Jun 05, 2012, 04:10 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Joined Jun 2008
7,316 Posts
Thinking about working 7 days a week till the first of the year to offset the cost of my wife's second masters and board certification. Don't know if I can make it to Dad's or not but it would be really cool!

Another literary masterpiece Snowman!

Funny pics Waldo!
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966