HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2012, 11:08 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
on a charger it's not the C's but the amperage. both of the ones I showed you would deliver 20 amps.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2012, 11:10 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Fellas......my charger stated that it could charge up to 5C I believe, but I found out after it arrived that that was for everything but LiPo's!!! Oh well, live and learn.

brathanke....I didn't realize my choice of best SiFi movie was put out there for you to criticize? Ever hear of an opinion? Lighten up!
Chargers do not normally give ratings in C ratings.

The typical charger is 50W at up to 5A. The problem most people run in to is the power limit. If you divide the power rating on the charger by the voltage, you get the amount of current the charger can supply as long as that does not exceed the amp rating.

So a 3S lipo is nominally 12V and a 50 watt charger can only do 50 / 12 = 4.15A. A 4S would only be able to get 50 / 16 = 3.125

That is why the rating for power and current is usually provided on chargers.

Snowman - I have on quad charger and all four are 50W/5A. I have to 200, two 100W and one 150W. That lets me keep things charged pretty quickly.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old May 21, 2012, 11:28 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,136 Posts
I use a 200w charger with a paraboard from epbuddy.com. It allows me to charge 6 packs at once provided they are the same number of cells.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old May 21, 2012, 11:31 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,369 Posts
Brathanke....accepted.

Wayne, I understand that chargers are not rated in terms of "C", but lets take for instance a 1300 mAh LiPo...1c would be 1.3 amps...whllich my quad charger manual states the battery must be charged...no higher! I cant even charge a lipo at 2.6 amps
snowman is offline Find More Posts by snowman
Last edited by snowman; May 21, 2012 at 11:33 PM. Reason: additional info
Old May 21, 2012, 11:48 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,136 Posts
sure you can... it would just be charged at 2c. If you are in a hurry dollars to donuts says your battery will be fine. I charge my packs at 2 or 3c really often when I'm flying a lot.

The paraboard is the biggest time saver ever though since it will charge six packs of the same voltage at once. If you want to maintain 1c you just add your capacities together. So if you were chargeing 2 1300 mah packs you would charge at 2.6A for 1c. The beauty is that your capacities down't have to be identical. Say you have a 1300 and a 2200 3s lipo. 1c would be 3.5A and they will both be fully charged when you are finished. It saves time even if you have a charger with limited capabilities because you can set it up to charge and then basically forget about it as long as you don't run into capacity or time limits imposed by your charger. Even if you do, it is not that difficult to adapt to.

Just be sure to choose the correct style of plugs to match your batteries.

http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...jeade3ep904m71
Old May 22, 2012, 01:21 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Snowman I bought this charger.It will give you 4 amps easy on a 3 cell lipo and 6 amps on a 2 cell. It cost me 23 dollars delivered to my door.
Old May 22, 2012, 08:48 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Chargers do not normally give ratings in C ratings.

The typical charger is 50W at up to 5A. The problem most people run in to is the power limit. If you divide the power rating on the charger by the voltage, you get the amount of current the charger can supply as long as that does not exceed the amp rating.

So a 3S lipo is nominally 12V and a 50 watt charger can only do 50 / 12 = 4.15A. A 4S would only be able to get 50 / 16 = 3.125

That is why the rating for power and current is usually provided on chargers.

Snowman - I have on quad charger and all four are 50W/5A. I have to 200, two 100W and one 150W. That lets me keep things charged pretty quickly.
Snowman, if you are going to be serious about electrics and you will be charging a decent set of batteries on a regular basis, you should consider getting a decent charger instead of a smaller, cheaper one...because you will avoid much frustration and "upgrading" until you get a decent one.

Here is a charger that will serve you well for a long time:

http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=106

They have other chargers too, but for the incremental price difference, this is the one to get. The other key item for charging is a good power supply...there is a guy named feathermerchant on rcgroups who sells power supplies made from computer server power supply units for a really decent price. Here is a link to his website:

http://www.feathermerchantrc.com/

Here is a link to his support forum on rcgroups: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1051873

You will do very well with a 24v power supply that will power your iCharger with as much as you need. Also, get a paraboard as Nate suggests (epbuddy sells these)...I have one of those as well, and it is a huge time saver. Imagine being able to charge 6 3s200 packs in less than one hour!!

Hope this helps.
-Mike
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old May 22, 2012, 09:08 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Great tip Mike. You guys are slowly changing me. O what will I tell all my nitro buddies.
Speaking of nitro I'm all out. I really went thru this gallon a little too fast. The ole twist is gulping it at an alarming rate.
Of course I think K49 may by lathering up with it.
Old May 22, 2012, 09:50 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Because me and the kid both fly 6S sized electrics, I needed a good charger so I invested in this:

http://www.amazon.com/Hyperion-EOS-S.../dp/B004IV73CK

It does 20amps/500 watts per side (if you have the power supply for it!) and I love having 2 separate channels. At home, I put a para board on each channel and do all my sons and all of my lipos at once at say 1C and everything is done in 1 hour.

For the field I use a high quality AGM Deep Cycle battery I got from Cabelas and I can charge 2 6S 3300 lipos at a 2C charge rate (6.6 amps on each side) at the same time which gives me a full charge in 30 minutes or a little less. So far I have done at least 6 or charges on each side (12 total) and not run out of power

I am going more and more towards the electric side and a good charger is by far the best investment I have made. The powerlab 6 or 8 are also very good chargers....
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Old May 22, 2012, 11:58 AM
Joined Jan 2005
5,369 Posts
Well, fellas....I appreciate the info. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait to buy another charger and power supply.....although I have four or five 1000W computer power supplies that I could convert...I suppose, but a new radio, a gasser w/all that entails is first on my list.......I like electrics, but I LOVE nitromethane!!!!!
Old May 22, 2012, 12:03 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
5,017 Posts
Quote:
It does 20amps/500 watts per side I put a para board on each channel and do all my sons and all of my lipos at once at say 1C

I can charge 2 6S 3300 lipos at a 2C charge rate (6.6 amps on each side) at the same time which gives me a full charge in 30 minutes

If you want to maintain 1c you just add your capacities together. So if you were chargeing 2 1300 mah packs you would charge at 2.6A for 1c. The beauty is that your capacities down't have to be identical. Say you have a 1300 and a 2200 3s lipo. 1c would be 3.5A

4 amps easy on a 3 cell lipo and 6 amps on a 2 cell

The typical charger is 50W at up to 5A 50 / 12 = 4.15A. A 4S would only be able to get 50 / 16 = 3.125 I have on quad charger and all four are 50W/5A. I have to 200, two 100W and one 150W.
: confused:

man I'm just an old hippy but
OS and a Gallon of Fuel = Flying
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old May 22, 2012, 12:07 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
I hear ya snowy, loud an clear but I think I'm starting to love gassers even more. I've got the MK2 charger from tower and the value hobby 19 dollar charger and they charge fast enough for me for now.
While I've been giving alot of thought to a larger electric, I still want my DLE 20 and OS 33.,
I'm about to pull the trigger on one of the above named.
Ive got a litter of pups due this week so it won't be long.
BTW whats the cost of a fishing lic up there in the upper UP?
Old May 22, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,369 Posts
Kerwin.......a non-resident fishing license is $7/day or $42/season and both are for all species. I buy a combo whitetail (2 tags), small game, fishing all species, water fowl stamp both state and federal, trapping and fur harvesting, and occasionally a turkey tag and bear tag....all for under $200........but in the end I have two freezers that are usually packed for the winter, but what I save in harvesting from the wild woods......I probably spend that again twice over on bug dope! I kid you not....I've seen folks from Colorado (where for some reason they say they don't have mosquitoes) nearly pass out from being bit so many times. Ya got to wear bug dope or smoke cigarettes/cigars like they're a nickle a pack! (That's how I started smoking years ago....forgot my bug dope while brookie fishing and my buddy only had butts....smoke or die!) The boat will be ready soon my friend.
Old May 22, 2012, 12:53 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
: confused:

man I'm just an old hippy but
OS and a Gallon of Fuel = Flying
Waldo, what do you think of all that? Looks like we're calculating the area under the curve or mathematically searching for the answer to Ecliptic alignment of cosmic microwave background anisotropy!!!! Glow is good! Fuel is fantastic. Exhaust is exhilarating!
Old May 22, 2012, 01:28 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,136 Posts
understood snowman... but before we retire the subject for now let me just say that converting the power supply is really easy depending on how nice you want it to look. I did my last one in about 30 minutes including a whole bunch of soldering. You might as well get after that and start using one sooner than later. If you have any questions about how to do it let me know.