snowman is online now Find More Posts by snowman
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2012, 09:30 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,908 Posts
Howdy all
Had yesterday off so I took the liberty to get some things done around the house like fix my planes LOL
I also received my first electric shock in years as I hooked up the new breaker box and made a sub panel out of it to start switching over the wires as I re run them all I was messing with the inside wires I alreadyb installed anmd labeled so while trying to read one of them my knuckle touched the center pole in the new Box WHOOOOOPIE LOL Feels good to feel like an electrician again LOL

Quote:
Can you and da crew stop by in Sept for the FLI?
Thats sounds like a plan to me what day is it exactly and where maybe we can make a club trip day or something

Quote:
Ailerons, Elevator halves, Horizontal stab, all covered.......transparent green!
Snowman LOL You are having a wrap fest over there. and I like the idea of the 2 story out house I think I know a few people I would let use the visitor floor lol and don't forget to Deet your Arse

Quote:
box of antique junker motors
Dad those are some nice antiques. I could use this as a great reason to purchase antiques as my wife loves antique shopping lol I don't think she would see that one coming, Look Honey I bought you some antiqueswhat do you mean you don't like them, OK I guess I'll keep them

Flying day tomorrow and looks to be in the 80's bright and sunny calm winds reported but I don't believe them LOL

Well Jack211's plane is ready for the skys again and I also put the legs back on the Stick after the cornfield so rudley tore them off. so Finaslly i can get back to the Wonder tonight
Waldopepperaxe is online now Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Old May 18, 2012, 09:33 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,908 Posts
Oh yeah I saw that Monster stick at the WRAM show 2 years ago all naked lol man If I only had a endless line of credit I was going home with that baby.
Hope the rains hold off for you to gewt in some air time

Wayne great Pics man good to see you are completely enjoying that new scope

Kerwin on those servo reversers there is a little potentiometer on the buldgy piece in the center of the lead sometimes tuning that will help get rid of the jitters and or even get the servos to move, I discovered this after I bought one and one servo wouldn't work on one side, then I was able to tune it right in after i tried to return it and the guy said did you tune it I was like HUH?? DOH!!! I didn't know I could lol
Old May 18, 2012, 09:39 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Yeah I was wondering about those RX's. Do you remeber any paticulars on the futaba 128
RX. It has some green heat shrink on it. Like you had replaced the ant. She looked like she was in really good shape.
I have a Futaba PCM rx but I hate pcm lockout and holds. I want to know that plane is getting hit and with pcm it's not near as noticble.
I still can't believe this Hitec rx's. They work just fine with analog servos, but with digtal stuff they wouldn't work or work right.
Even the A 9 has had problems with different electronic kill switches.
Well more work today so no play day. well just post phoned.
I honestly had so many of those I don't remember the history. I think that one came with a plane I acquired and it wasn't a damaged plane, it was just an older one I parted out. Validate, range check, and support that green section so it can't get pulled apart.

PCM is a pain on the 9C, it's not model specific, ppm to PCM is a global radio change.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old May 18, 2012, 09:49 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,195 Posts
Well, the best price I found for a DLE20 was through Troy Built Models.......$249.95 with free shipping, free muffler silencer, free NGK sparkplug.......Tower said that they could match that price with free shipping, but couldn't add the freebies.....so there you go....all for under $250..... but wait we need a prop or two $18 x 2 $36, ignition battery $29, gas stopper $5, Ignition cut-off switch $35, oil...$3, small gas can $10.....hmmmm.....looks like going gas is going to cost me a minimum of $400. Well, ya gotta pay to play, yes?

Waldo.........that's great news! Sometimes ya got to be selfish and say to hell with all the demands placed on you and just go flying! You did a great job restoring the T_ _ _ t that Jack built/flew! I'm eagerly awaiting a flight report.
Old May 18, 2012, 10:08 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
BTW - I used the Futaba 9 channel PCM (319?), 72MHz receiver on my YAK and the ailevator function on my 50cc YAK with a Futaba 9C and later a 10C. I was happy with the setup and operation.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old May 18, 2012, 10:18 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Would you purchase one again, Wayne?
I have been buying DLE just for USA warranty lately. I would not worry about buying one. I usually review the latest reviews on HC before I buy anything like that just to make sure things are going well. I do change the plug but everything else is about the same as the DLEs, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe View Post
Howdy all
Had yesterday off so I took the liberty to get some things done around the house like fix my planes LOL
I also received my first electric shock in years as I hooked up the new breaker box and made a sub panel out of it to start switching over the wires as I re run them all I was messing with the inside wires I alreadyb installed anmd labeled so while trying to read one of them my knuckle touched the center pole in the new Box WHOOOOOPIE LOL Feels good to feel like an electrician again LOL

I hate getting shocked.

Thats sounds like a plan to me what day is it exactly and where maybe we can make a club trip day or something

Snowman LOL You are having a wrap fest over there. and I like the idea of the 2 story out house I think I know a few people I would let use the visitor floor lol and don't forget to Deet your Arse

Dad those are some nice antiques. I could use this as a great reason to purchase antiques as my wife loves antique shopping lol I don't think she would see that one coming, Look Honey I bought you some antiqueswhat do you mean you don't like them, OK I guess I'll keep them

Flying day tomorrow and looks to be in the 80's bright and sunny calm winds reported but I don't believe them LOL

Well Jack211's plane is ready for the skys again and I also put the legs back on the Stick after the cornfield so rudley tore them off. so Finaslly i can get back to the Wonder tonight
Quote:
Oh yeah I saw that Monster stick at the WRAM show 2 years ago all naked lol man If I only had a endless line of credit I was going home with that baby.
Hope the rains hold off for you to gewt in some air time

Wayne great Pics man good to see you are completely enjoying that new scope

Thanks Joe. I had a little trouble last night so no pictures.

Kerwin on those servo reversers there is a little potentiometer on the buldgy piece in the center of the lead sometimes tuning that will help get rid of the jitters and or even get the servos to move, I discovered this after I bought one and one servo wouldn't work on one side, then I was able to tune it right in after i tried to return it and the guy said did you tune it I was like HUH?? DOH!!! I didn't know I could lol
Hate it when that happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Well, the best price I found for a DLE20 was through Troy Built Models.......$249.95 with free shipping, free muffler silencer, free NGK sparkplug.......Tower said that they could match that price with free shipping, but couldn't add the freebies.....so there you go....all for under $250..... but wait we need a prop or two $18 x 2 $36, ignition battery $29, gas stopper $5, Ignition cut-off switch $35, oil...$3, small gas can $10.....hmmmm.....looks like going gas is going to cost me a minimum of $400. Well, ya gotta pay to play, yes?

Waldo.........that's great news! Sometimes ya got to be selfish and say to hell with all the demands placed on you and just go flying! You did a great job restoring the T_ _ _ t that Jack built/flew! I'm eagerly awaiting a flight report.
You can get an RCEXL kill switch for about$20. Check with Aeroworks. The difference will help pay for the gas fuel pump you did not list. Remember you will save money on paper towels and cleaner.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old May 18, 2012, 10:23 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,908 Posts
LOL Yeah its all those little items that nichol and dime yourself to death just getting set up for it, but I tell you going gas is definitely worth it as the flight times per tank is so much different, I usually fill my triplane up once a day and run about 3 or 4 flights at 10 -15 minutes a shot and still crank out fuel back into the fuel container, I'm sure its because I usually have 5 or 6 planes with me though and don't fly it that many times in a day usually but I have on occasion.

I really noticed some funny things Jack211 did to repair that plane in the past lol it all worked great but Had me puzzled when going back over it. but he built a nice ship and reinforced some stuff very nicely, I think he used rubber cement to hold on the canopy which actually works great and then peels right off to re apply, I never thought of using that before, great idea. I also mounted the engine on the top of the rails this time to see if it changes the thrust line, And of course with all the pain staking efforts to make sure I lined up the fuse straight when re attaching it, of course once it dried its a tad crooked DOH !!!! I was specifiacally watching that and measuring all during the gluing and then of course at the critical point I bumped my elbo into it and through it off a bit and the epoxy set up at that freakin moment lol and I couldn't move it again so flat spins to the right should be awesome LOL
Old May 18, 2012, 10:25 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,263 Posts
I will be firing up my RCGF 55 in the next couple weeks, I have heard mixed stories, but it really appears to be a nice motor.

Now I need to find a motor for the 30cc size legacy slick or convert it to glow or gas
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old May 18, 2012, 10:30 AM
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,908 Posts
Wayne Sorry you had a little trouble last night the one thing really cool about where I live right now is the night sky is awesome as were not too near the city, we have orions belt right above our heads so if you took a plumb bob and dropped it from the center star on the belt around 11pm EST you would spear my Deck lol providing of course the earth was back to that point in the rotation from the time you dropped it X amount of Light years prior LOL
Old May 18, 2012, 10:47 AM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,195 Posts
Well, I've got a few small remodeling jobs that have to be finished up before I start back as a nurse.......guess that's where that money is coming from......considering that my wife and three of the girls went dress shopping last night. Do any of you have a clue how much money 4 women/young ladies can spend in four hours of shopping? I'm talking a new Futaba 18MZ, Giant Scale, 222cc powered all-in, trailer and all... worth!!!!!!! I actually really don't want to know how much it was...but the smiles on their faces as they modeled them for me was priceless!

Wayne, thanks again!
Old May 18, 2012, 10:56 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,498 Posts
Quote:
I also mounted the engine on the top of the rails this time to see if it changes the thrust line, And of course with all the pain staking efforts to make sure I lined up the fuse straight when re attaching it, of course once it dried its a tad crooked DOH !!!! I was specifically watching that and measuring all during the gluing and then of course at the critical point I bumped my elbo into it and through it off a bit and the epoxy set up at that freakin moment lol and I couldn't move it again so flat spins to the right should be awesome LOL
Waldo, I love your positive attitude even in the face of things like this...I have an airframe that I put back together and a similar thing happened; I thought for sure it was straight, but after everything dried, it was obviously crooked. I put it on the shelf..but now, after hearing your thoughts on your airframe, I'm inclined to finish putting it back together and flying it crooked anyway!

I had a scare yesterday...was flying my 51 Slick...had a nice first flight...landed it, went to pull the battery off the connector to the ESC...and...oops...the battery cable came off in my hand, leaving the deans connector still plugged in! my soldering skills are not great, but this was a surprise...I'm really glad this happened during the disconnect (on the ground) instead of in the air.

Moral to the story: always check your deans connectors on your batteries as part of your preflight!
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old May 18, 2012, 11:05 AM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,618 Posts
Quote:
LOL Yeah its all those little items that nichol and dime yourself to death just getting set up for it........
Its true the world over

Whether going Leccy, Gas, Glow, or Jet.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
Moral to the story: always check your deans connectors on your batteries as part of your preflight!
Always check your EVRYdeansTHING on preflight
Dad_Roman is online now Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Old May 18, 2012, 11:08 AM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,618 Posts
Engines gone...Bill Allamang picked em up.

Play day for me.....gotta get me arse cleanin in the shop again

Mowed the field and put up a new sock this mornin. (nice to have a bucket truck )
Dad_Roman is online now Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Old May 18, 2012, 11:12 AM
Montana Transplant
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Aug 2005
1,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
Waldo, I love your positive attitude even in the face of things like this...I have an airframe that I put back together and a similar thing happened; I thought for sure it was straight, but after everything dried, it was obviously crooked. I put it on the shelf..but now, after hearing your thoughts on your airframe, I'm inclined to finish putting it back together and flying it crooked anyway!

I had a scare yesterday...was flying my 51 Slick...had a nice first flight...landed it, went to pull the battery off the connector to the ESC...and...oops...the battery cable came off in my hand, leaving the deans connector still plugged in! my soldering skills are not great, but this was a surprise...I'm really glad this happened during the disconnect (on the ground) instead of in the air.

I had a motor that pulled 70 Amps.... melted the solder right off the plug.... deans are 50A rated I later found out
mt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by mt_flyer