SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 15, 2012, 08:06 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
...and that was just plum crazy...so I'm going with a .91 four stroke.....Magnum I think. Too weak?
How about an OS BX-1 1.08?
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2012, 08:10 PM
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,188 Posts
*What follows is one of the stray thoughts that have become more prevalent as of late.*

The only reason why I'm hesitant in purchasing a 2.4gHz radio is that we have this HUGE tower ....that TOWERS over the surrounding area and has interfered with my 2.4gHz FPV gear in the past...will they let me return it if it don't work???? Yeah right, right?
snowman is offline Find More Posts by snowman
Old May 15, 2012, 08:12 PM
Montana Transplant
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Aug 2005
1,930 Posts
Quote:
Eric, don't be afraid to speak your mind or anything! I understand that the arc movement of the servo arm prevents a linear correlation, but my fingers don't know that....maybe I need to invest in a different radio to fully appreciate what you all are so eloquently sayin'.

The weather wasn't cooperating so the UCD got stripped to bare balsa...she's propped up against the shop wall all naked like...there's a certain beauty about her stripped of her cheap attire. The good news is there is absolutely no structural damage (that can't easily be repaired) , but now I've got to find a way to get those stubborn pieces of Monokote that are CA'd to the balsa around the hinges and everywhere assembly glue stuck to it! Any ideas.....I figure to sand a few bad spots and start covering tomorrow. I'm thinking I already had the ST2300 on her...and that was just plum crazy...so I'm going with a .91 four stroke.....Magnum I think. Too weak?

Beginning of the week....no flight reports? How many of you guys get to fly in the evenings after work? How many of you are weekend flyers? How many can only get out when their Honey-Do list is complete?
I "HAD" a mag91 4stroke on the UCD 60 originally... flew great for pattern.. WILL NOT HOVER BUT FOR a second or two... will not pull out if you get in trouble... 120 min for 3D on the UCD60
mt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by mt_flyer
Old May 15, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,188 Posts
OS BX-1 1.08?????? Are you meaning....O.S. BGX-1 3500 Ringed w/Remote Needle Valve?????
Old May 15, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,188 Posts
mt-flyer......thanks.....that's great to know!!!
Old May 15, 2012, 08:40 PM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,507 Posts
Now that's a chunk of lead
Quote:
Tell me something......when you folks are talking exponential for 3D, are you talking about negative exponential that has the servo movement starting off "softer" and then moving greater as more "stick" is given? Dual Rates is for those that want to fly anything less than 3D no? Or is this exponential kinda like having the two without having to throw a switch? I guess to me that is dampening my inputs and is why I prefer it without.

Check out the piece of lead that had to be added to the tail to balance out the UCD with a ST2300 and 18" prop!
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 15, 2012, 08:48 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,188 Posts
Well, David22......there was also an extra tank and accoutrements for a smoke system....I homemade smoke coil in the muffler, two 4.8v 2000mAh batteries and the 30oz ST2300 hanging off the front end.

After hearing mt-flyer's advice I'm wondering if I just shouldn't go back to the ST2300 without all the added weight and a smaller higher pitched prop...if that's at all possible. Course I would need some tuning advice from Wayne on the subject....he's the one that mastered the ST23000 was he not?

How about a UCD with floats??? Just a thought.
Old May 15, 2012, 09:05 PM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,615 Posts
Dammit...now ya gonna make me interpret the manual

Quote:
Quoted from my Tx manual: "The “exponentials” are in the same function as the dual rates. (Pressing the MODE key will take you to the next function which is End Point Adjustments). This means they function together and "EXPO" is always on! (Maybe set on -0- but on none the less) Low rates...expo is on. High rates....expo is on.

The same as dual rates, “expos” can be set for both switch positions. This is important. You can set the "Expo percentage" seperately for each switch position. A certain percent for low rates and a certain percent for high rates. Maybe -0- on low rates and -40 on high rates for 3D

Negative exponential(-) decreases initial servo movement.This is what we want....a decrease initially

Positive exponential (+) increases initial servo movement.Dont want this with Futaba

The exponential “curve” maybe set anywhere between -100% and +100%." Negative percentages with Futaba

I just don't get what they mean by" "exponentials" are in the same function as the dual rates"? Same as above. Dual rates is always on weather "low" or "high". These two switch settings are subject to expo setting applicable to each switch position be it -0- or an actual number.

I just want to see what all the fuss is about......I have had no problems flying 3D in the past with no expo and full throws. Anyone else own a Futaba T6EXA? (Don't laugh!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Quoted for posterity.
That was friggen awesome wasnt it???

Quote:
, but now I've got to find a way to get those stubborn pieces of Monokote that are CA'd to the balsa around the hinges and everywhere assembly glue stuck to it! Any ideas....
I give it to my wife at that point. Long fingernails and she love pickin at it all evening
Dad_Roman is offline Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Old May 15, 2012, 09:09 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,496 Posts
OK...how about this...I'll send you my Airtronics RDS-8000 and an RX...you try it in a beater aircraft...and if it works...you are good to go...you can get your own 2.4ghz system without worrying if it will work or not, and send me back my ATX system once you've got your own.

Quote:
*What follows is one of the stray thoughts that have become more prevalent as of late.*

The only reason why I'm hesitant in purchasing a 2.4gHz radio is that we have this HUGE tower ....that TOWERS over the surrounding area and has interfered with my 2.4gHz FPV gear in the past...will they let me return it if it don't work???? Yeah right, right?
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old May 15, 2012, 09:17 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,188 Posts
DR, have patience with me.....remember I live in the sticks and don't get out in world much, I'm usually 5-10 years behind the times and with the exception of you good folks here in T_ _ _taholic land....misunderstanding reigns supreme, but I'm trying.
Old May 15, 2012, 09:18 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,188 Posts
SnowDog......what's this "beater aircraft" you're talking about?

That's a generous offer my friend, but I'll shell out the dough and purchase one.....if it don't work I'll sell it....I wouldn't want you to be without a spare.

How is that Airtronics RDS-8000? Does the programming take a degree in well, programming to program it?
Last edited by snowman; May 15, 2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old May 15, 2012, 09:52 PM
Hardrock Miner
Livingston, MT
Joined Jun 2006
752 Posts
The one thing I don't care for on the rds 8000 is dual rate switches can't be on one switch. 2 separate switches for elev and aileron. If your looking for easy programing Snowman, you can't beat the Aurora 9.
jacklegchris is offline Find More Posts by jacklegchris
Old May 15, 2012, 10:13 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,259 Posts
Quote:
OS BX-1 1.08?????? Are you meaning....O.S. BGX-1 3500 Ringed w/Remote Needle Valve?????
No....OS BX-1 1.08 with no remote needle.
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old May 15, 2012, 10:28 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,188 Posts
DOG...that engine isn't currently offered is it? They're going cheap on ebay. What's your experience with this engine?
Old May 15, 2012, 10:51 PM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,615 Posts
Quote:
DR, have patience with me.....remember I live in the sticks and don't get out in world much, I'm usually 5-10 years behind the times and with the exception of you good folks here in T_ _ _taholic land....misunderstanding reigns supreme, but I'm trying.
LOL....you must be dippin in the wine barrel today cause youve been RICH!!!!

I been laughin at you all day! (and I thank ya!)

We're gonna getcha through this bro!.....if it hairlips the kaiser!
Dad_Roman is offline Find More Posts by Dad_Roman